• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-09-12T16:09:43Z by graham40
graham40
graham40
127 Posts

Pinned topic TXS for Multiplatforms and CICS Web Support

‏2009-09-03T17:51:52Z |
Hello again,

A 2008 November by Jim Schesvold on CICS Web Support (and simplicity thereof) caused me to look up some of the phraseology in both the online TXS documentation and the Software Access Catalogue ... found nothing. Does this mean it's:

a) not available for TXS
b) not available under SAC

Please, thanks
Graham Hobbs
Updated on 2009-09-12T16:09:43Z at 2009-09-12T16:09:43Z by graham40
  • gogol
    gogol
    86 Posts

Re: TXS for Multiplatforms and CICS Web Support

‏2009-09-03T18:05:09Z  
    > a) not available for TXS

CICS Web Support is not available on TXSeries and that's why you didn't find them in
    the online manuals.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    308 Posts

‏2009-09-03T18:06:51Z  
    Yep, CICS Web support is not available on TXSeries.

Also, fyi, The statement of direction quoted in this link http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=an&subtype=ca&supplier=897&appname=IBMLinkRedirect&letternum=ENUS209-040 intends to deliver a new inbound SOAP interface support later this year, where you could expose the existing CICS program as a service.

You could also read through the TXSeries redbook http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247185.html on how one could expose the CICS programs as services on to web today - using WAS and CTG components. There are no CICS WEB API support though.

HTH

Cheers,
    Hari
  • graham40
    graham40
    127 Posts

‏2009-09-08T15:33:36Z  
    Yep, CICS Web support is not available on TXSeries.

Also, fyi, The statement of direction quoted in this link http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=an&subtype=ca&supplier=897&appname=IBMLinkRedirect&letternum=ENUS209-040 intends to deliver a new inbound SOAP interface support later this year, where you could expose the existing CICS program as a service.

You could also read through the TXSeries redbook http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247185.html on how one could expose the CICS programs as services on to web today - using WAS and CTG components. There are no CICS WEB API support though.

HTH

Cheers,
    Hari
    Hi Hari,

So in my standalone Windows XP, RDz 7.1, TXSeries 6.2 enviroment where I have many COBOL/CICS/DB2/VSAM BMS programs with their green screen frontends, if I want to program something as 'simple' as a web browser frontend then my choices are limited to:

a) SOAP (available later this year - any 'howto' docs yet?),
    b) CTG (sounds like it also needs WAS (whatever WAS is))

So...

• either (in which case, which requires the least 'extra' software?)
    • a)
    • b)
    • neither

I browsed 'Revealed..' - it's a 2006 publication and I could find no 'howto' for my simple environment.
    Seems a pity about CICS Web Support - sounds less complex.

Cheers
    Graham
  • gogol
    gogol
    86 Posts

‏2009-09-11T17:18:10Z  
    • graham40
    • ‏2009-09-08T15:33:36Z
    Hi Hari,

So in my standalone Windows XP, RDz 7.1, TXSeries 6.2 enviroment where I have many COBOL/CICS/DB2/VSAM BMS programs with their green screen frontends, if I want to program something as 'simple' as a web browser frontend then my choices are limited to:

a) SOAP (available later this year - any 'howto' docs yet?),
    b) CTG (sounds like it also needs WAS (whatever WAS is))

So...

• either (in which case, which requires the least 'extra' software?)
    • a)
    • b)
    • neither

I browsed 'Revealed..' - it's a 2006 publication and I could find no 'howto' for my simple environment.
    Seems a pity about CICS Web Support - sounds less complex.

Cheers
    Graham
    > a) SOAP (available later this year - any 'howto' docs yet?),
    > b) CTG (sounds like it also needs WAS (whatever WAS is))

Unfortunately, Web enabling TXSeries applications do need some additional software.
    Your best bet would be going through CICS Transaction Gateway (CTG) and
    WebSphere Application Server (WAS).

Using SOAP support just for web enabling applications in my opinion might be an overkill.

Another option, if you are using Green screen terminals and maps, is to look at
    Host Access Transformation Services (HATS). This can help you transform your terminal
    based screens to Web.

HTH.
  • graham40
    graham40
    127 Posts

‏2009-09-12T16:09:43Z  
    • gogol
    • ‏2009-09-11T17:18:10Z
    > a) SOAP (available later this year - any 'howto' docs yet?),
    > b) CTG (sounds like it also needs WAS (whatever WAS is))

Unfortunately, Web enabling TXSeries applications do need some additional software.
    Your best bet would be going through CICS Transaction Gateway (CTG) and
    WebSphere Application Server (WAS).

Using SOAP support just for web enabling applications in my opinion might be an overkill.

Another option, if you are using Green screen terminals and maps, is to look at
    Host Access Transformation Services (HATS). This can help you transform your terminal
    based screens to Web.

HTH.
    Hi gogol,
    Super answer!
    I wasn't aware of HATS and will check it out - sounds interesting.
    Many thanks.
    Graham