Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-04T12:48:06Z by Joby-QCS
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3234 Posts

Pinned topic Fibre Channel SM BRCD No Fabric Alert - And Firmware upgrade procedure

‏2009-09-03T02:34:16Z |
Hi,

My setup is the following:

1 BladeCenter E with 2 HS22 in Bay1 and Bay2 each with 1 QLogic 4Gb Fibre CIOV (FRU 44M6065)
1 AMM - FW Build BPET46M
2 BNT ESM in Slot 1 and 2 (FRU 32R1869) - FW Build WMZ07000 version 1.5.7
2 Brocade Fibre SM in Slot 3 and 4(FRU 32R1820) - FW Build BREFSM Revision 502

1 DS3400 Dual Controller (FW 07.35.41.02)

Purpose is to boot from SAN and install Windows 2003 + SQL in Microsoft Cluster MSCS
In AMM, getting this alert (See attachment, Fig 1, and Fig2)

Brocade Fibre SM in Slot 3 is connected with 1 fibre cable to DS3400 Controller A
Brocade Fibre SM in Slot 4 is connected with 1 fibre cable to DS3400 Controller B
I can scan and detect the SAN LUN mappings in QLogic CTRL-Q utility.
I've installed Windows 2003 on HS22 in Bay1 (Boot from SAN)

I don't understand why it is showing this alert message.

Second question is how do I perform a firmware/FOS update on both the Brocade Fibre SM.
Current FOS is 5.0.2, I've tried to setup TFTP and pointing to the top lever folder of the unzipped file that I downloaded from Brocade site. (See Attachment Fig.3)
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-55420&brandind=5000008
In the instructions, it says to point to the file called release.plist. But there are so many in each release and I don't know which one to choose.

Any idea on any of those 2 issues (questions) that I'm having?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
K

Attachments

Updated on 2013-02-04T12:48:06Z at 2013-02-04T12:48:06Z by Joby-QCS
  • Novikov_Alexander
    Novikov_Alexander
    1147 Posts

Re: Fibre Channel SM BRCD No Fabric Alert - And Firmware upgrade procedure

‏2009-09-03T21:19:25Z  
    Dear Kun,

there is info in AMM Help:

"No Fabric: This means the other end is not populated on any of the modules this I/O module is internally wired to (e.g. this is an Infiniband switch but none of the blades it is internally wired to has an expansion card attached in the corresponding expansion slot)."

Looks like it is old software issue. First of all update FC Switch and Qlogic HBA software.

Pay attension to update order (described in ReleaseNotes):

Upgrading to Fabric OS v6.1.1 is only allowed from Fabric OS v6.0.0 or later.
    Upgrading to Fabric OS v6.0.0 is only allowed from Fabric OS v5.3.x.
    Brocade does not support upgrading from more than two previous releases, for example,
    upgrading from Fabric OS v5.1.x to v5.3.x is supported but upgrading from Fabric OS v5.0.x
    or a previous release directly to v5.3.x is not.

Don't worry about file release.plist. Just point to unzipped root folder and file would be found automatically:

"FC_switch1:admin> firmwaredownload
    Server Name or IP Address: 192.168.1.10
    FTP User Name: USERID
    File Name: /release.plist
    FTP Password:
    You can run firmwaredownloadstatus to get the status of this command.

This command will cause the switch to reset and will require that existing telnet, secure telnet or SSH sessions be restarted.

Do you want to continue [Y]: y
    Firmware is being downloaded to the switch. This step may take up to 30 minutes.
    Checking system settings for firmwaredownload..."

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts

‏2009-09-03T23:05:17Z  
    Dear Kun,

there is info in AMM Help:

"No Fabric: This means the other end is not populated on any of the modules this I/O module is internally wired to (e.g. this is an Infiniband switch but none of the blades it is internally wired to has an expansion card attached in the corresponding expansion slot)."

Looks like it is old software issue. First of all update FC Switch and Qlogic HBA software.

Pay attension to update order (described in ReleaseNotes):

Upgrading to Fabric OS v6.1.1 is only allowed from Fabric OS v6.0.0 or later.
    Upgrading to Fabric OS v6.0.0 is only allowed from Fabric OS v5.3.x.
    Brocade does not support upgrading from more than two previous releases, for example,
    upgrading from Fabric OS v5.1.x to v5.3.x is supported but upgrading from Fabric OS v5.0.x
    or a previous release directly to v5.3.x is not.

Don't worry about file release.plist. Just point to unzipped root folder and file would be found automatically:

"FC_switch1:admin> firmwaredownload
    Server Name or IP Address: 192.168.1.10
    FTP User Name: USERID
    File Name: /release.plist
    FTP Password:
    You can run firmwaredownloadstatus to get the status of this command.

This command will cause the switch to reset and will require that existing telnet, secure telnet or SSH sessions be restarted.

Do you want to continue [Y]: y
    Firmware is being downloaded to the switch. This step may take up to 30 minutes.
    Checking system settings for firmwaredownload..."

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow
    Thanks for your reply.

I was trying to perform the firmware upgrade from the WebGUI of the Brocade SM.
    Are you doing the command in Telnet session into the SM?

Does it work if I setup TFTP on my laptop, and TFTP configure to point to the v5.2.3 folder?
    For exemple, if I unzip the files into C:\IBM\BladeCenter\Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch Firmware\v5.2.3
    Do I just need to setup TFTP to point to that path?
    Then telnet into the SM and issue the firmwaredownload command?

FTP User Name: Is this the username of the switch admin account? or account on the TFTP server (in this case it is my laptop)
    FTP Password: Is this the password of my laptop local account?

So my upgrade would be from 5.0.2 to 5.2.3, then from 5.2.3 to 5.3.2, then from 5.3.2 to 6.0.0, then from 6.0.0 to 6.1.1
    Is that right?

Thanks
    K
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts

‏2009-09-03T23:07:33Z  
    Thanks for your reply.

Does it work if I setup TFTP on my laptop, and TFTP configure to point to the v5.2.3 folder?
    For exemple, if I unzip the files into C:\IBM\BladeCenter\Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch Firmware\v5.2.3

FTP User Name: Is this the username of the switch admin account? or account on the TFTP server (in this case it is my laptop)

So my upgrade would be from 5.0.2 to 5.2.3, then from 5.2.3 to 5.3.2, then from 5.3.2 to 6.0.0, then from 6.0.0 to 6.1.1
    Is that right?

Thanks
    K
    Oh forgot to mention that the "No Fabric" alert when away after upgraded the AMM fw to build BPET48N
  • Novikov_Alexander
    Novikov_Alexander
    1147 Posts

‏2009-09-04T05:07:43Z  
    Thanks for your reply.

Is that right?

Thanks
    K
    Kun,

> Are you doing the command in Telnet session into the SM?

both ways (telnet and WebGUI) used successfully for firmware updates.

> Does it work if I setup TFTP on my laptop, and TFTP configure to point to the v5.2.3 folder?

Why you talking about TFTP? There is next instruction in readme file:

1.) Untar or unzip code package to an FTP Server

All other statement are correct. You can check Installation and Setup Instructions in readme file.

5.) Enter the IP Address of the FTP Server
    6.) Enter the account name for the FTP Server

> So my upgrade would be from 5.0.2 to 5.2.3, then from 5.2.3 to 5.3.2, then from 5.3.2 to 6.0.0, then from 6.0.0 to 6.1.1 Is that right?

Looks good.

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow
  • Joby-QCS
    Joby-QCS
    2 Posts

‏2013-02-04T12:48:06Z  
    Hi Alex.

I have few Brocade FC Switches  32R1820 on a an H Chassis with HS21XM blades. Current Fabric OS version is  Fabric OS:  v5.3.0a and I wanted to have this upgraded to  Fabric OS:  v6.2.1b. I read from this forum that the direct upgrade is not possible and I understand the procedure as well. The issue for me is to find out the OS downlaods. I did lot of searches and I couldnt find any link from where I can download this. Appreciate if you could help me on this as I have a deadline of Feb 14 to Complete this.

Please let me know if you need any more informations on this