Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-08-31T20:26:25Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
706 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Linux directly on an i520?

‏2009-08-28T13:20:23Z |
I have a used i520 which is out of support and did not come with any media. As far as I can tell there's no OS installed, but it could be my lack of i5/OS400 knowledge. If I set the IPL type to A (or M, for that matter) it does not seem to go anywhere beyond the self-test.

Does the document "Setting up your IBM eServer OpenPower server" for RHEL/SUSE Linux apply to the iSeries? I have no luck at all getting to an SMS screen on any default IP on the HMC ports or the serial ports via null-modem. I bet I'd see something if I had a twinax terminal, but I don't have one.

Is there a way to talk to the service processor (ASM, ASMI) without an HMC or the "Operations and Setup CD"? Is there some front panel magic that will get the ASM IP address?

If it comes down to Linux only going in an i5OS LPAR, that's too bad. Maybe someone here wants to trade for a pSeries?
Updated on 2009-08-31T20:26:25Z at 2009-08-31T20:26:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Linux directly on an i520?

‏2009-08-28T15:59:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Firmware added the "Op panel show ip address" with power5 I think. If you scroll over to function 30 on the op panel and hit enter, you can
    then choose subfunctions 00 or 01 and get the IP addresses of both ports.

For SMS menus without an HMC, I install a graphics card and USB keyboard. On bootup it will eventually ask you if you want to use that console and
    then SMS menus will appear.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-31T16:48:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    What model video card would work? Does it have to be openfirmware-compliant or is VESA OK?

Thanks
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      706 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-31T20:26:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      The power5 systems ship (or are orderable) with Matrox (G400/G450) graphic adapters, so I know for sure that those work.

Since open firmware is in charge of giving you a console, I think the video card would need to be openfirmware compliant, so that
      open firmware can detect it and list it in their device tree as a possible graphics console. You may have to go through a pile of
      video cards to find one that is compatible, as I have never found a "Video cards that work on IBM power servers" list published anywhere.