SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
23 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IMS - Dynamic Memory Allocation

‏2009-08-15T20:28:15Z |
Hi Developers!

How are you?

I wonder if someone could help me with the topic "Dynamic Memory Allocation in IMS". I have an experience with CICS and in this environment we have the DFHCOMMAREA. So, whenever I want to allocate the exactly memory space of variable input copybook length I use the following COBOL syntax, as an example:

SET ADDRESS OF LI-PGNCW160-01 TO CAA-PTR-COPYIN OF DFHCOMMAREA.
MOVE QGECCAA OF DFHCOMMAREA TO QGECCAA OF LI-DFHCOMMAREA-01.

So is there any similar command to be used in the IMS environment? In IMS we have the PCBs and DL/I but I don't find any special command or reserved word to deal with dynamic memory allocation.

Any hint or tip is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your attention.

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Luis.
Updated on 2010-09-28T01:43:33Z at 2010-09-28T01:43:33Z by GeoffN
  • dtu
    dtu
    18 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IMS - Dynamic Memory Allocation

‏2009-08-17T19:05:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Luis,

Thank you for posting your question. Here is the response from an IMS developer:

"There is not a similar command to be used in the IMS environment because there is no need for something similar in IMS. There is no COMM area in IMS and no need for one. In CICS all of the applications are running in the same address space and need to share memory. In IMS each application is in its own address space (dependent region) and has its own memory."

I hope this answers your question sufficiently. Of course, if you have more questions, please feel free to post a reply. Thanks!

Have a great day too!
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      23 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-19T18:40:09Z  in response to dtu
      Hi David,

Thanks to answer my question.

I wonder if you have any COBOL example to exemplify what you had said: "In IMS each application is in its own address space (dependent region) and has its own memory".

Thanks in advance for your attention. Have a great day.

Best regards,
      Luis Garrido.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        23 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-19T19:58:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Please send an email to snathan@us.ibm.com and tell me how to contact you. We need to have a discussion about this. I do not understand what you really need.
  • dtu
    dtu
    18 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-02T23:48:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Luis,

I hope that you were able to get the help that you needed. It seems that you have responsibility over both CICS and IMS? If you have any further questions, please feel free to post to the forum or let me know.

Thanks!
    • erik.gollot
      erik.gollot
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-20T08:58:06Z  in response to dtu
      Could it be possible to post the answer to this question ? It is frustrating to see such a question and see "send me an email I will give you the answer"
      • GeoffN
        GeoffN
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-28T01:43:33Z  in response to erik.gollot
        Hi,

Let me try to answer the question for you.

Application programs run as a subroutine of the IMS region controller. The program allocates and uses memory in much the same way as any COBOL or PL/I program. The memory needed to run the program is defined through the region by JCL. Generally, there is no need to request a specific portion of memory though calls inside the application code itself.

Regards,
        Geoff