Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
13 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-10T21:04:27Z by R_Simons
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
64 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Agents running as a service?

‏2009-08-14T20:00:33Z |
Is there a way to have the agents run as a service? Right now we have to log into the server and start the service from the command line and this user needs to remain logged in - which is an administration problem especially after hours and a RDP session usually has to remain open...

Thanks
Bill
Updated on 2012-10-10T21:04:27Z at 2012-10-10T21:04:27Z by R_Simons
  • NeilPayne
    NeilPayne
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Agents running as a service?

‏2009-08-17T08:45:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Bill,
    This is very platform specific. Could you post details of the platform(s) you're interested in.
    Neil.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      64 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-17T14:02:25Z  in response to NeilPayne
      Thanks for the reply Neil, were running agents and monitors both on Redhat Linux and Windows environment.

cheers
      Bill
      • NeilPayne
        NeilPayne
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-18T14:03:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Bill,

RedHat is easy as all you need to do is run the fteStartAgent command from the system start sequence scripts. Agents will run quite happily as daemon processes until stopped by a stop agent command.

Windows is more problematic.
        You can start the agent automatically at boot time using a scheduled task to execute the fteStartAgent command.
        The catch is that a user logoff event will still terminate the JVM's. We already have a requirement to address this and, if you think it's important, you should add your voice to this requirement to raise its priority.
        The only work around I can suggest at present would be some clever scripting or a repeating scheduled task to restart the agent if it's been killed by a logoff.

Neil.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    64 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-01T21:55:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    HI Guys,
    To start the FTE Agent as a Windows Services, the simple solution is to download and install the MQATTACH Launcher which is designed to start / stop any application which has a command interface, as a Windows Service. You can download the MQALauncher directly from the following site: http://www.mqattach.com Once there, you click on the downloads link, and you will see that there "FTE as a Windows Service" link to download.

If you download the executable, and install it it will create a directory structure of C:/Program Files/MQAttach/MQALauncher. There is a "config.xml" which you have to change in the MQAttach/MQALauncher directory. A sample is provided on the download site, all you have to do is change the Agent name. You need to then go to the Windows "Services" administration screen, there you will see a service called "MQATTACH Command Line Launcher Service", by default it is setup to start as a "System User", you could opt to change this by assigning a user/pw or leave it as is, and then simply start the service.

Hope this helps
    Honda
    • SimoneP
      SimoneP
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-22T20:50:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I went to the mqattach web page but can't find contact information (I get a 404 page not found error). Any idea how to talk to those folks?

Thanks,
      Simone
      • harishtd
        harishtd
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-18T12:14:32Z  in response to SimoneP
        I had tried to access this site in vain for many days. The site is now up and running.
        PM me if you still cannot get at it and i shall send you a copy.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          64 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-25T08:53:54Z  in response to harishtd
          Guys, be very aware that MQAttach is NOT an IBM product and you will not get any help from IBM Service with problems relating to it. Think very carefully before including it in your production systems.
          • MQAttach
            MQAttach
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-07T08:37:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi Guys,

My name is Mac, and I am part of the support team at MQAttach.

And I just thought I would clarify the comments on this issues regarding us.
            MPhillip is correct in the sense that MQAttach is not an IBM product, but we are IBM Business Partners and we do provide support for MQAttach

We are actively developing the product, and have included a number of features in the lastest release, with more to come in the next few weeks and months

Our goal is to enhance the usability of FTE by providing cost-effective tools and functionality

If you require any further info, please do hesitate to contact me or consult our website at http://www.mqattach.com
            Thanks
            Mac
  • AvV
    AvV
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-08T06:52:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

see the developerWorks article "Mission:Messaging: Using a Windows service to start WebSphere MQ File Transfer Edition client agents" at
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/1007_mismes/1007_mismes.html?ca=drs-

Regards, Arjan
  • gidonshn
    gidonshn
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-23T08:56:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    hi
    i am trying to install mqattach.
    i understand that there should be some config files :
    one config.xml file for the MQALauncher inside the Launcher directory.
    one web.config inside the MQAWeb directory.
    one config.xml inside the shared directory.

i dowloaded the ZIPs of mqattach from the mqattach.com website , but there are no such files..and i cant find samples for them..

can someone direct me to them ?

thank you.
    Gidi.
    • AvV
      AvV
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-29T12:26:10Z  in response to gidonshn
      Gidi,

please check the WMQ FTE 7.0.3 Information Center for 'Starting an agent as a Windows service'
      http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wmqfte.doc/windows_service.htm

In Version 7.0.3 of WebSphere® MQ File Transfer Edition, you can start an agent as a Windows service. When you log off Windows, your agent continues running and can receive file transfers.

Regards, Arjan
    • R_Simons
      R_Simons
      11 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-10T21:04:27Z  in response to gidonshn
      MQAttach is NOT and IBM product. Any comments or problems should not be posted here.