• 21 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-07-27T04:46:53Z by SystemAdmin
peterpanIBM
peterpanIBM
34 Posts

Pinned topic [RFT 8.1 + Firefox 3] Cannot enable the firefox browser

‏2009-08-11T18:45:30Z |
Hi,

I have a problem enable the Mozilla Firefox 3.0.13.

RFT return the pop up error message

"Failed to enable browser. Browser location is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox."

Does any know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks
Updated on 2010-07-27T04:46:53Z at 2010-07-27T04:46:53Z by SystemAdmin
  • patrick.vanzandt
    patrick.vanzandt
    326 Posts

Re: [RFT 8.1 + Firefox 3] Cannot enable the firefox browser

‏2009-08-18T03:33:55Z  
    Are you sure that you have RFT 8.1 installed?

Also, is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox the correct location of your Firefox 3.0.x install?

Additionally, be sure that you are logged in as an Admin and that Firefox has Sun JRE 1.6 installed in it (open http://javatester.org/version.html to verify).
  • nvivek
    nvivek
    103 Posts

‏2009-08-19T10:08:28Z  

Also, is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox the correct location of your Firefox 3.0.x install?

Additionally, be sure that you are logged in as an Admin and that Firefox has Sun JRE 1.6 installed in it (open http://javatester.org/version.html to verify).
    I have question tat whether RFT 8.1 supports Mozilla Firefox 3.x versions?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2009-09-15T18:27:58Z  

I also have this problem. My Firefox's version is 3.0.3, and it is installed on C:\Program Files\Firefox. I have already tried to Disable and Remove before enabling, but i always get this error mentioned above.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2009-09-15T18:39:02Z  
    I also have this problem. My Firefox's version is 3.0.3, and it is installed on C:\Program Files\Firefox. I have already tried to Disable and Remove before enabling, but i always get this error mentioned above.
    You need to close all instance of Firefox browser before enable it
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2009-09-22T10:32:15Z  
    Hi

Is it working know? if nor please check with user privilages. Ypu should have "admin" privilages

otherwise open RFT as "Run as Administrator" ...

Regards
    Sathvik
  • patrick.vanzandt
    patrick.vanzandt
    326 Posts

‏2009-09-23T06:13:47Z  
    • nvivek
    • ‏2009-08-19T10:08:28Z
    I have question tat whether RFT 8.1 supports Mozilla Firefox 3.x versions?
    > nvivek wrote:
    > I have question tat whether RFT 8.1 supports Mozilla Firefox 3.x versions?

RFT 7.0.1.x and 8.0.0.x support Firefox 2.x.

RFT 8.1.0.x supports Firefox 2.x and 3.0.0.x.

Firefox 3.5.x support is not yet available (this will be added in some future release).

So, to directly answer your question: RFT 8.1, 8.1.0.1, and 8.1.0.2 support Firefox 3.0.0.x, but not Firefox 3.5.x.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2009-12-30T15:17:04Z  
    > nvivek wrote:
    > I have question tat whether RFT 8.1 supports Mozilla Firefox 3.x versions?

RFT 7.0.1.x and 8.0.0.x support Firefox 2.x.

RFT 8.1.0.x supports Firefox 2.x and 3.0.0.x.

Firefox 3.5.x support is not yet available (this will be added in some future release).

So, to directly answer your question: RFT 8.1, 8.1.0.1, and 8.1.0.2 support Firefox 3.0.0.x, but not Firefox 3.5.x.
    Is there any forecast you can provide which reveals which version of RFT will support Firefox 3.5 and when it will be available? If so, it would be very helpful to know since our development schedules are dependent upon this.
  • patrick.vanzandt
    patrick.vanzandt
    326 Posts

‏2009-12-31T06:41:25Z  
    Hi

Is it working know? if nor please check with user privilages. Ypu should have "admin" privilages

otherwise open RFT as "Run as Administrator" ...

Regards
    Sathvik
    > skieranddiver wrote:
    > Is there any forecast you can provide which reveals which version of RFT will support Firefox 3.5 and when it will be available? If so, it would be very helpful to know since our development schedules are dependent upon this.

My understanding is that this support is coming in Q1 2009, but I have not heard a formal commitment from the development. Can anyone from development following this thread comment on the status of Firefox 3.5.x support?

skieranddiver, I just ran a query and see that we do not have a formal RFE open for this support. Even though this support may already be on the way, I think it is important to get a formal request open with the product manager. Please go to this page:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/support/rational/rfe/execute?use_case=createChangeRequest
    and be sure to provide your business case.

Once you have the RFE created, kindly reply to this thready with a link to the RFE (so that other readers can vote for the RFE if they are also looking for this support).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2009-12-31T12:27:59Z  
    > skieranddiver wrote:
    > Is there any forecast you can provide which reveals which version of RFT will support Firefox 3.5 and when it will be available? If so, it would be very helpful to know since our development schedules are dependent upon this.

My understanding is that this support is coming in Q1 2009, but I have not heard a formal commitment from the development. Can anyone from development following this thread comment on the status of Firefox 3.5.x support?

skieranddiver, I just ran a query and see that we do not have a formal RFE open for this support. Even though this support may already be on the way, I think it is important to get a formal request open with the product manager. Please go to this page:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/support/rational/rfe/execute?use_case=createChangeRequest
    and be sure to provide your business case.

Once you have the RFE created, kindly reply to this thready with a link to the RFE (so that other readers can vote for the RFE if they are also looking for this support).
    I assume that you mean 1Q 2010. :-)

I'll work on the RFE this morning.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2009-12-31T12:44:44Z  

The RFE is done.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/support/rational/rfe/execute?use_case=viewChangeRequest&CR_ID=4358
  • patrick.vanzandt
    patrick.vanzandt
    326 Posts

‏2010-01-04T17:09:05Z  

skieranddiver wrote:I assume that you mean 1Q 2010. :-)

Yes, I meant 1Q 2010. It always takes me until about February 15 to finally stop typing the wrong year... :-)

Thanks for submitting the RFE. ATTN others following this thread: if you are also looking for this feature you can add your "vote" at the link posted above by skieranddiver.
  • mFoster711
    mFoster711
    145 Posts

‏2010-01-04T17:18:28Z  
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/support/rational/rfe/execute?use_case=viewChangeRequest&CR_ID=2773

RFE already exists for adding Firefox 3.5 support. I think it is pathetic how long it takes IBM to add support for new browsers. Firefox users typically upgrade to the newest version almost immediately. Most people using Firefox are on version 3.5 yet IBM still does not support it.

I would prefer for IBM to release an update to RFT that supports new versions of Firefox within weeks after Firefox is released even if IBM has to release RFT with a few bugs related to Firefox. IBM can then spend the next couple of months fixing those bugs so that full support is available within 3-4 months after the browser is released.
  • patrick.vanzandt
    patrick.vanzandt
    326 Posts

‏2010-02-21T02:12:57Z  
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/support/rational/rfe/execute?use_case=viewChangeRequest&CR_ID=2773

RFE already exists for adding Firefox 3.5 support. I think it is pathetic how long it takes IBM to add support for new browsers. Firefox users typically upgrade to the newest version almost immediately. Most people using Firefox are on version 3.5 yet IBM still does not support it.

I would prefer for IBM to release an update to RFT that supports new versions of Firefox within weeks after Firefox is released even if IBM has to release RFT with a few bugs related to Firefox. IBM can then spend the next couple of months fixing those bugs so that full support is available within 3-4 months after the browser is released.
    FYI Firefox 3.5 support is now available (as of RFT 8.1.1):
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24025806
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2010-02-22T15:43:48Z  
    FYI Firefox 3.5 support is now available (as of RFT 8.1.1):
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24025806
    I installed the RFT 8.1.1 update. But, I started experiencing "unable to open view" issues. Always adding "initialize clean" when I invoke RFT seems to work-around that. And with that work-around, I see that Firefox 3.5.8 objects are now recognized (after getting Firefox enabled).
  • jacomac71
    jacomac71
    4 Posts

‏2010-03-12T12:25:32Z  
    I probably had the same problem as you did. I solved it by installing the enabler add-on for Firefox, as described in this technote
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2010-04-19T15:02:37Z  
    I installed the RFT 8.1.1 update. But, I started experiencing "unable to open view" issues. Always adding "initialize clean" when I invoke RFT seems to work-around that. And with that work-around, I see that Firefox 3.5.8 objects are now recognized (after getting Firefox enabled).
    As luck would have it, I have been given a new laptop to migrate too and I wound up with Firefox 3.6.3. It appears that RFT 8.1.1 does not support it even after loading the Firefox 3.5 enabler.
  • patrick.vanzandt
    patrick.vanzandt
    326 Posts

‏2010-04-19T19:51:04Z  
    As luck would have it, I have been given a new laptop to migrate too and I wound up with Firefox 3.6.3. It appears that RFT 8.1.1 does not support it even after loading the Firefox 3.5 enabler.
    skieranddiver wrote
    > As luck would have it, I have been given a new laptop to migrate too and I wound up
    > with Firefox 3.6.3. It appears that RFT 8.1.1 does not support it even after loading
    > the Firefox 3.5 enabler.

Correct. The 3.5 enabler will not work on 3.6.x. This is why it's called the 3.5 enabler, after all! :-)

To address what I think is the underlying question, Firefox 3.6.x is not supported as of RFT 8.1.1. You will need to downgrade to Firefox 3.5.9 (or another 3.5.x release).

If you don't already have it bookmarked, this document provides a continually updated summary of the supported test domains in each 8.x RFT release: Techdoc 7017504.

RFT development has already indicated plans to develop support for current and future versions of both Firefox and IE (see: 3/27/2010 developer update in RFE 2239), however if you would like to received more detailed updates (and have something to track this by), I recommend submitting an RFE specifically for Firefox 3.6.x support.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2010-04-20T10:37:20Z  
    skieranddiver wrote
    > As luck would have it, I have been given a new laptop to migrate too and I wound up
    > with Firefox 3.6.3. It appears that RFT 8.1.1 does not support it even after loading
    > the Firefox 3.5 enabler.

Correct. The 3.5 enabler will not work on 3.6.x. This is why it's called the 3.5 enabler, after all! :-)

To address what I think is the underlying question, Firefox 3.6.x is not supported as of RFT 8.1.1. You will need to downgrade to Firefox 3.5.9 (or another 3.5.x release).

If you don't already have it bookmarked, this document provides a continually updated summary of the supported test domains in each 8.x RFT release: Techdoc 7017504.

RFT development has already indicated plans to develop support for current and future versions of both Firefox and IE (see: 3/27/2010 developer update in RFE 2239), however if you would like to received more detailed updates (and have something to track this by), I recommend submitting an RFE specifically for Firefox 3.6.x support.
    Thanks. Being a little savvy on my own, I noticed that my old laptop was at 3.5.9. I upgraded it and problems ensued. I downleveled FF and things recovered. So, I downleveled FF on the new laptop and things are working.

BTW, from my point of view, it isn't obvious that the FF 3.5 enabler isn't for FF 3.6 just by the name. It could be for FF 3.5 and beyond (sort of like the FF 3.0 enable, right?). Even the technote for installing the FF enabler (at least the one that I could find) doesn't address this. Maybe that technote should be updated (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21416816).

I will definitely work on the RFE this morning since we must test with anything that a customer might use, including FF 3.6.x.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2010-07-27T03:28:21Z  
    Thanks. Being a little savvy on my own, I noticed that my old laptop was at 3.5.9. I upgraded it and problems ensued. I downleveled FF and things recovered. So, I downleveled FF on the new laptop and things are working.

BTW, from my point of view, it isn't obvious that the FF 3.5 enabler isn't for FF 3.6 just by the name. It could be for FF 3.5 and beyond (sort of like the FF 3.0 enable, right?). Even the technote for installing the FF enabler (at least the one that I could find) doesn't address this. Maybe that technote should be updated (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21416816).

I will definitely work on the RFE this morning since we must test with anything that a customer might use, including FF 3.6.x.
    I am having a problem enabling Firefox for RFT 8.1.1.2 getting the 'Failed to enable browser' error message popping up after the Firefox window has opened and I close the browser session.
    The version of Firefox I have tried is 32 bit version 3.6.8 on 64 bit Windows 7 OS.I have RFT 8.1.1.2 installed on my Windows Vista 32 bit laptop and I have enabled my Firefox 3.6.8 browser without a hitch.
    On another machine I am having no luck at all. I have RFT 8.1.1 on this other machine and I noticed that in the C:\IBM\SDP\FunctionalTester\bin\enabler directory that there is no 3.6 enabler present.
    I copied the xpi file from my laptop to the other computer and added it as an extension to my Firefox browser there. On my laptop where Firefox was enabled successfully there is no RFT extension showing under Add-ons | Extensions.
    David
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2010-07-27T04:29:57Z  
    I am having a problem enabling Firefox for RFT 8.1.1.2 getting the 'Failed to enable browser' error message popping up after the Firefox window has opened and I close the browser session.
    The version of Firefox I have tried is 32 bit version 3.6.8 on 64 bit Windows 7 OS.I have RFT 8.1.1.2 installed on my Windows Vista 32 bit laptop and I have enabled my Firefox 3.6.8 browser without a hitch.
    On another machine I am having no luck at all. I have RFT 8.1.1 on this other machine and I noticed that in the C:\IBM\SDP\FunctionalTester\bin\enabler directory that there is no 3.6 enabler present.
    I copied the xpi file from my laptop to the other computer and added it as an extension to my Firefox browser there. On my laptop where Firefox was enabled successfully there is no RFT extension showing under Add-ons | Extensions.
    David
    I have now tried with Firefox 3.5.11. Firefox can be enabled now using the RFT Enable Environments for Testing menu, but when I run my test and execute the statement 'setCurrentBrowser("firefox")' there is still an exception being reported when I run the 'com.rational.test.ft.script.CurrentBrowserException: CRFCN0015E: The firefox browser name is not defined. Use the Enabler to create it.'

David
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2010-07-27T04:46:53Z  
    I have now tried with Firefox 3.5.11. Firefox can be enabled now using the RFT Enable Environments for Testing menu, but when I run my test and execute the statement 'setCurrentBrowser("firefox")' there is still an exception being reported when I run the 'com.rational.test.ft.script.CurrentBrowserException: CRFCN0015E: The firefox browser name is not defined. Use the Enabler to create it.'

David
    The Browser Enablement Diagnostic Tool is meant to be used to diagnose problems with enabling your browser for HTML testing. The tool is supposed to diagnose enablement problems and report how to solve them.

To run the tool the procedure is:
    Open the Functional Tester Enabler by clicking Configure > Enable Environments for Testing.
    Click the Web Browsers tab.
    Click the Test button. The Browser Enablement Diagnostic Tool opens.
    Click the Run Diagnostic Tests button.

However in my situation, where the Firefox enabler is installed (for Firefox 3.5.11) but is not actually working, the Browser Enablement Diagnostic Tool does not fire up. With IE which works OK in my environment the tool doesn't materialise in the IE browser window. With Firefox the Firefox browser starts up very briefly but then dies.

David