2 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-09-17T19:45:58Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
706 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic BIOS and NIC details of RHEL 5.3 LPAR on ppc64 machine

‏2009-08-10T08:29:39Z |
Hi Everyone,
I am working on a machine which has one of the LPARs on which RHEL 5.3 is installed on ppc64 processor. I want to find out the BIOS and NIC details on this machine which I am unable to find out with the following commands which worked on RHEL 5.3 x86_64 platform.

BIOS info: #dmidecode; see 'BIOS Information' section
NIC info: dmesg |grep eth1;
ethtool -i eth1;

from the first command I get BIOS vendor name and version and from 2nd command I get NIC driver name, its manufacturer, firmware version and driver version.

On trying these on p series linux, the 1st command does not work out. The 2nd command shows output like
"device eth1 entered promiscuous mode
device eth1 left promiscuous mode" continuously for some seconds.

The 3rd command gives -
driver: ehea
version: EHEA_0092-01
firmware-version:
bus-info:

which shows no firmware version info.

My questions are -
a> How can I get the BIOS info on the said platform (p series linux)?
b> How can get the Ethernet manufacturer name and number of ports in it?
c> Why the firmware version is not shown with 'ethtool' and which company's driver is 'EHEA'?
d> how are the CPU and cores related on this type of platform? I am not clear about the term 'cpu cores'.

Please let me know your valuable inputs/suggestions on above questions.

Thanks a lot,
Sanjay
Updated on 2009-09-17T19:45:58Z at 2009-09-17T19:45:58Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BIOS and NIC details of RHEL 5.3 LPAR on ppc64 machine

‏2009-08-10T12:52:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Well, the quick answer is some of things you're used to seeing in the x86 realm don't really apply to the Power systems.

"bios" is replaced by firmware levels. There aren't that many things that can be controlled by the end user via firmware settings.

ehea is just one of the Ethernet offerings on the various Power systems.

CPUs and cores and virtual CPUs can get fairly interesting depending on how complex you make it. On the most simple level, Power 6 systems have cores, each core has two hardware threads, Linux see each hardware thread as a logical CPU.

With an HMC/IVM you have lots of flexibility on defining additional virtual CPUs which will allow you to easily take advantage of unused CPU cycles from other partitions. I would recommend reading more about PowerVM to get a better feel for what can be done. One place to consider is the Virtualization wiki pages, which while somewhat AIX centric, the partition concepts all apply to Linux on Power as well.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BIOS and NIC details of RHEL 5.3 LPAR on ppc64 machine

‏2009-09-17T19:45:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Here are some answers to your questions.

a> How can I get the BIOS info on the said platform (p series linux)?

To query the firmware level from the OS you should have the 'ppc64-utils' package installed on RHEL53 and that should include the 'lsmcode' command. If not, the 'lsvpd' package from https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/lopdiags/home.html will provide the same tool. You can use 'lsmcode' to query the firmware level for the machine. As an example, my system returns the following:

# lsmcode Version of System Firmware is SF240_382 <...>

Information regarding firmware levels is available through the IBM support site and Fix Central. For this example the firmware on this machine is detailed here.

As a prior reply noted, this is less useful if the machine is managed by an HMC or IVM as you won't likely be updating machine firmware from one of several logical partitions (LPARs) on the hardware. But I thought I'd reply and make note of this tool for you and anyone else wanting to take inventory of firmware levels from Linux.

b> How can get the Ethernet manufacturer name and number of ports in it?
    c> Why the firmware version is not shown with 'ethtool' and which company's driver is 'EHEA'?

If you have physical adapters allocated to a LPAR you'll seem them listed using the method you noted, specifically ethtool -i <ethX>, just as you would on other systems you may be familiar with. If you are using a Host Ethernet Adapter (ehea) adapter on POWER6 machines or Virtual Ethernet Adapter (ibmveth) these are virtualized resources that are unique to POWER systems. Using 'ethtool -i' on these devices will still be useful in correlating ethernet interfaces to the device driver name and driver version but as they are virtual devices the other fields may not be helpful.

d> how are the CPU and cores related on this type of platform? I am not clear about the term 'cpu cores'.

This was already answered by billburos