Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-08-08T16:39:21Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic equivalent / as sysdba

‏2009-08-06T16:18:51Z |
In oracle,one can login to sqlplus using the username: / (os autenticated user).so password will not be prompted.I want to know if there is an equivalent for it in clpplus.because while connecting to a database using clpplus we have to provide the passsword.bt i dont want this instead i want it to be os authenticated.
Updated on 2009-08-08T16:39:21Z at 2009-08-08T16:39:21Z by SystemAdmin
  • apprajen
    apprajen
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: equivalent / as sysdba

‏2009-08-07T08:28:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    First, thank you for trying out clpplus. Yes, today clpplus requires userid and password to connect to a database. Though we have started out with a more simpler user authentication mechanism, we are planning to support other user authentication mechanisms as well. With this, user will be able to connect without being prompted for a password. As you seem to be looking for something similar, we do like to know any specific security mechanism that you use for user authentication in your work environment. This will help us understand your need better and plan for supporting it accordingly.

Thanks,
    Rajendran.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-07T17:21:34Z  in response to apprajen
      yeah i will give u some more details of how things work here..

In oracle,we have something called users identified externally.Consider a scenario where we have a database abc on server A.I want to access database abc using the OS user "xyz" on server A.For this i will create an oracle user on server A using the following command:

create user xyz identified externally;
      grant connect to xyz;

I login using the OS user "xyz" into server A.
      now i can connect to database abc using the following command
      sqlplus /

It will not ask me for the username or password .It will be that of the OS user ie xyz.

I hope its clear now..
      • apprajen
        apprajen
        4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-08T15:09:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Thank you for the details and the example. It helps to understand your situation.

From what I understand, you login to the server A and then invoke your tool to connect to the database 'abc'. While connecting to the database, you do not require to provide your login credentials again.

In clpplus though, you do not require to login to your server A. You can invoke clpplus from your desktop/workstation. If you have Java 1.5 or above in your desktop, you can install 'DS Driver' package. This is a thin client package that comes with clpplus tool. Clpplus is a thin client tool that enables you to connect to database on a server. So you can invoke clpplus from your desktop and while doing so you will need to provide your login credentials on server A to connect to the database 'abc'.

Yes, I do get your point that if I am already logged in to the server A and trying to connect to the database on the logged on server, why am I being asked for the login credentials again. True that is a valid point and we need to investigate this in our end and figure how to handle this situation.

Still we will suggest you to use the client side installation though. This will enable you to connect to any of the databases in any of the servers you use without having a need to have a login session to each of the servers you use.

We will be investigating the need you described and will keep you posted when we have a solution for this.

Again thank you for bringing this up.

Thanks,
        Rajendran.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          8 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-08T16:39:21Z  in response to apprajen
          In oracle,sqlplus can also be used to connect to databases residing on other servers.But it also allows the os user to login without providing the user credentials.See the point is that the advantage of having os authentication is that we dont have to give out the password while writing codes.So it will be useful if clpplus has the same facility.