Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-08-04T18:19:19Z by gogol
malsi_TXSERIES
malsi_TXSERIES
9 Posts

Pinned topic access TX Series CICS region from batch program

‏2009-07-27T23:25:06Z |
How can we access TX Series CICS region from batch program ? Actually I want to execute CEMT transaction to enable/disable any Transaction identifier(tranid) from batch program
Updated on 2009-08-04T18:19:19Z at 2009-08-04T18:19:19Z by gogol
  • gogol
    gogol
    86 Posts

Re: access TX Series CICS region from batch program

‏2009-07-28T04:54:50Z  
    > Actually I want to execute CEMT transaction to enable/disable any Transaction identifier(tranid) from batch program

There are many ways to achieve this under CICS.

If you really want to run a transaction from a batch program (I assume you mean a set of shell scripts or so, since batch programs in CICS parlance means a set of applications accessing the CICS data and doing some processing offline), you need to write some client code to achieve that. Look at the previous post for some details.

The other way to achieve what you are looking for is to use the CICS SPIs in your applications, like EXEC CICS INQUIRE & EXEC CICS SET. Look at the documentation for more details on this.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/txformp/v5r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.txseries510.doc/erzhnb0084.htm

HTH.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    308 Posts

‏2009-07-28T11:24:25Z  
    • gogol
    • ‏2009-07-28T04:54:50Z
    > Actually I want to execute CEMT transaction to enable/disable any Transaction identifier(tranid) from batch program

There are many ways to achieve this under CICS.

If you really want to run a transaction from a batch program (I assume you mean a set of shell scripts or so, since batch programs in CICS parlance means a set of applications accessing the CICS data and doing some processing offline), you need to write some client code to achieve that. Look at the previous post for some details.

The other way to achieve what you are looking for is to use the CICS SPIs in your applications, like EXEC CICS INQUIRE & EXEC CICS SET. Look at the documentation for more details on this.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/txformp/v5r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.txseries510.doc/erzhnb0084.htm

HTH.
    Hello gogol

I understood that by using CICS SPI one can access resource and transaction definitions in CICS.
    One have to use INQUIRE or SET commands in C programs to achieve this. Does this mean that one can embed thses commands in a C program,execute the program at UNIX command prompt and obtain the desired information? Do one needs to issue any other command to esatblish a connection to the TXseries Server? How does the C program get to know the TXSeries Server name? I am not a UNIX/C programmaer so I am not well versed with these concepts. The mannual stipulates that the program definition must be stored in CICS.

Could you please help me in this regard.

Thanks
    Sabya
  • gogol
    gogol
    86 Posts

‏2009-08-04T18:19:19Z  
    Hello gogol

I understood that by using CICS SPI one can access resource and transaction definitions in CICS.
    One have to use INQUIRE or SET commands in C programs to achieve this. Does this mean that one can embed thses commands in a C program,execute the program at UNIX command prompt and obtain the desired information? Do one needs to issue any other command to esatblish a connection to the TXseries Server? How does the C program get to know the TXSeries Server name? I am not a UNIX/C programmaer so I am not well versed with these concepts. The mannual stipulates that the program definition must be stored in CICS.

Could you please help me in this regard.

Thanks
    Sabya
    You can refer to the programming guides for TXSeries as well as the CICS Universal Client.
    >>Does this mean that one can embed thses commands in a C program,execute the program at UNIX command prompt and obtain the >>desired information?

Yes, you need to have a server program which has these APIs in them and a client program that would call this server program to run it.

>>Do one needs to issue any other command to esatblish a connection to the TXseries Server?

As mentioned in a previous post, you should use a client product (either CICS Universal Client or CICS Transaction gateway)
    to write your client applications.

>>How does the C program get to know the TXSeries Server name?

By configuring the client product (Universal client or Transaction gateway)

HTH.