IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-28T15:03:14Z by TerryRose1
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1860 Posts

Pinned topic Errors installing and opening forms in Vista

‏2009-07-09T15:28:31Z |
When I install Lotus Forms Viewer 3.0 or 3.5 I get numerous errors. Most of them don't make since, and the rest are writen in a forign language. It also creates a folder structer under the program files\ibm\lotus\viewer\3.5\ that is all forign letters. Not sure, don't speak any of them. But they are only viewable as forign letters from within vista. When i copy those folders to an XP system, they appear as squares.
Updated on 2009-10-22T22:43:34Z at 2009-10-22T22:43:34Z by Ryan_Guenther
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1860 Posts

Re: Errors installing and opening forms in Vista

‏2009-07-09T15:28:46Z  
    So here is what I have done to test this.

Completely removed all instances of Lotus Forms Viewer from the system. To include registry files, and folder structer, as well as from Programs and Features.
    Reinstalled 3.5, and 3.0 (on different instances of course). The error first pops up and references masqform.exe and masqtil.exe as the problem and begins to shut down the install. However, the program does finish. And it SEEMS like all parts are complete. I can open any file, modify it, save it, and close it, but there are about 50 errors that pop up as soon as you open any form.

Now I want to take a second and explain that. If you open the forms viewer, there are no errors. ONLY when you open a file, via double click the form needed, OR file open from within the viewer do you get errors.

Now, at some point in my tinkering. I got it to only give me a single error when opening forms. The erros is Unable to update the flag indicating whether the current user has set their application settings. This happened for about 4 form openings, and then the numberous unreadable errors began again. Not sure how or what happened, but maybe it's an indicator.

I've downloaded patches, updates, different versions. And none of them work. Now several people have told me that it does work. I have actually seen it functional on several vista systems. But for some unknown reason, it doesn't work for us. And i cannot find a difference between the systems. Please help. This is the last place i can go...
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1860 Posts

‏2009-07-23T14:58:56Z  
    I am also having the same problem and I am interested in the solution.
  • mbir
    mbir
    411 Posts

‏2009-07-23T17:26:54Z  
    So here is what I have done to test this.

Completely removed all instances of Lotus Forms Viewer from the system. To include registry files, and folder structer, as well as from Programs and Features.
    Reinstalled 3.5, and 3.0 (on different instances of course). The error first pops up and references masqform.exe and masqtil.exe as the problem and begins to shut down the install. However, the program does finish. And it SEEMS like all parts are complete. I can open any file, modify it, save it, and close it, but there are about 50 errors that pop up as soon as you open any form.

Now I want to take a second and explain that. If you open the forms viewer, there are no errors. ONLY when you open a file, via double click the form needed, OR file open from within the viewer do you get errors.

Now, at some point in my tinkering. I got it to only give me a single error when opening forms. The erros is Unable to update the flag indicating whether the current user has set their application settings. This happened for about 4 form openings, and then the numberous unreadable errors began again. Not sure how or what happened, but maybe it's an indicator.

I've downloaded patches, updates, different versions. And none of them work. Now several people have told me that it does work. I have actually seen it functional on several vista systems. But for some unknown reason, it doesn't work for us. And i cannot find a difference between the systems. Please help. This is the last place i can go...
    Are you in a domain or have applied some security policies to that system beyond the default?
    When you're running the Lotus Forms Viewer, are you running as a user or part of the Administrator group?
  • Scott.C
    Scott.C
    1 Post

‏2009-10-22T12:12:19Z  
    We are having the same problem. We have a large enterprise and we are using an SMS package to deploy the Lotus Form Viewer 3.5.0.220. We are seeing this error on our test computers and we need to resolve it before we deploy to the enterprise. It seems to be limited to Vista. At first we thought it was an issue with Vista Junctions, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Now we are thinking it may be caused when SMS uses a system account instead of a user account to install. We really need a solution because as it stands we cannot deploy this to the Enterprise.
  • mbir
    mbir
    411 Posts

‏2009-10-22T17:59:55Z  
    • Scott.C
    • ‏2009-10-22T12:12:19Z
    We are having the same problem. We have a large enterprise and we are using an SMS package to deploy the Lotus Form Viewer 3.5.0.220. We are seeing this error on our test computers and we need to resolve it before we deploy to the enterprise. It seems to be limited to Vista. At first we thought it was an issue with Vista Junctions, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Now we are thinking it may be caused when SMS uses a system account instead of a user account to install. We really need a solution because as it stands we cannot deploy this to the Enterprise.
    Have you enabled the built-in MSI logging to see if there are any errors during install?
    Are you installing the Lotus Forms Viewer into a directory that uses junctions?

Have you contacted IBM support for their insight into the problems you're seeing?
  • ScottCr
    ScottCr
    1 Post

‏2009-10-22T19:09:10Z  
    • mbir
    • ‏2009-10-22T17:59:55Z
    Have you enabled the built-in MSI logging to see if there are any errors during install?
    Are you installing the Lotus Forms Viewer into a directory that uses junctions?

Have you contacted IBM support for their insight into the problems you're seeing?
    The Lotus Viewer we have is an executable, so an MSI would be helpful. We did not enable logging because we don't know the correct switches. Can you help us out? We originally thought Junctions too, this is Vista after all, but they are correct. We are installing via an SMS package that removes the previous PureEdge 6.5, Lotus 3.0, Lotus 3.5, and associated directories before attempting the 3.5.0.220 installation. The SMS installer runs with it's own account, could this cause a problem?
  • DevinG
    DevinG
    2 Posts

‏2009-10-22T19:38:37Z  
    • ScottCr
    • ‏2009-10-22T19:09:10Z
    The Lotus Viewer we have is an executable, so an MSI would be helpful. We did not enable logging because we don't know the correct switches. Can you help us out? We originally thought Junctions too, this is Vista after all, but they are correct. We are installing via an SMS package that removes the previous PureEdge 6.5, Lotus 3.0, Lotus 3.5, and associated directories before attempting the 3.5.0.220 installation. The SMS installer runs with it's own account, could this cause a problem?
    I am also having this problem. The machines were previously using PureEdge and were updated to use IBM Lotus Form Viewer 3.5. I was getting the same error referencing the .exe's and you had to escape out of fifteen or more error popups referencing them. I uninstalled completely and reinstalled only to get "Unable to update the flag indicating whether the current user has set their application settings". I tried running as administrator and it did open but another error popped up (It was not a usual popup, it was Form Viewer but the error was inside it - see attached). I grabbed and attached screenshots, but it said:

IBM Lotus Forms Viewer - An Error Has Occurred
    Unable to open file.
    C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Roaming\PureEdge\VIEWER-1.6\prefs\PREFS~2.CON

It seems like its still trying to access PureEdge even though it does not show up in the installed application list. I thought maybe it was a bad load on the disk at first, but I have tried several different Vista images (Deleting partitions between them) and even a brand new hard drive and it still pops up. This has been going on for two weeks or more and now I have another machine that has started doing it. I am very interested to find a fix.

Attachments

• DevinG
    DevinG
    2 Posts

‏2009-10-22T19:39:15Z  
    • ScottCr
    • ‏2009-10-22T19:09:10Z
    I am also having this problem. The machines were previously using PureEdge and were updated to use IBM Lotus Form Viewer 3.5. I was getting the same error referencing the .exe's and you had to escape out of fifteen or more error popups referencing them. I uninstalled completely and reinstalled only to get "Unable to update the flag indicating whether the current user has set their application settings". I tried running as administrator and it did open but another error popped up (It was not a usual popup, it was Form Viewer but the error was inside it - see attached). I grabbed and attached screenshots, but it said:

Unable to open file.

It seems like its still trying to access PureEdge even though it does not show up in the installed application list. I thought maybe it was a bad load on the disk at first, but I have tried several different Vista images (Deleting partitions between them) and even a brand new hard drive and it still pops up. This has been going on for two weeks or more and now I have another machine that has started doing it. I am very interested to find a fix.

Ok, apparently it is going to error out when I attach the error.doc Sorry.
  • Ryan_Guenther
    Ryan_Guenther
    163 Posts

‏2009-10-22T22:43:34Z  
    • DevinG
    • ‏2009-10-22T19:38:37Z

Unable to open file.

How did you get the PureEdge Viewer onto a Vista machine? Was it an XP machine that had the PureEdge Viewer and was then upgraded to Vista? That may be the problem.

As far as a solution, try deleting the PureEdge folder in AppData\Roaming. It is probably searching for the user preferences from previous versions of the product to copy them to the current version. If the folder doesn't exist, it won't try and then it can't fail.
  • TerryRose1
    TerryRose1
    1 Post

‏2013-10-28T15:03:14Z  

Good Morning All,

I am getting an error when i attempt to open a form in IBM Forms Viewer - 'UNABLE TO UPDATE THE FLAG INDICATING WHETHER THE CURRENT USERS HAS SET THEIR APPLICATION SETTINGS".   Does anyone have a fix for this error.  If so please pass on, would be greatly appreciated.