Topic
  • 17 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-04-05T22:41:15Z by Veluri
earlRogers
earlRogers
26 Posts

Pinned topic JPA Configuration

‏2009-07-01T14:30:20Z |
I've seen a couple threads indicating that it should be possible to use JPA implemetation of BDS. Has anyone gotten it to work? I have tried a simple test but can't resolve the exception below. Generally I've found that to indicate a missing persistence.xml file, but that shouldn't be the case here.

org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: An error occurred while parsing the query filter "SELECT new com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.jpa.CustomerId(c.customerId) FROM CustomerNotes c GROUP BY c.customerId ORDER BY c.customerId DESC". Error message: The name "CustomerNotes" is not a recognized entity or identifier. Known entity names: []
at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.exps.AbstractExpressionBuilder.parseException(AbstractExpressionBuilder.java:118)

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Earl
Updated on 2012-04-05T22:41:15Z at 2012-04-05T22:41:15Z by Veluri
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    783 Posts

Re: JPA Configuration

‏2009-07-01T18:44:31Z  
    Hey Earl,
    Have you tried running the SimpleJPASample that ships with the product? You should also find instructions on installing and configuring the sample. Let me know if you have trouble locating it.
    We currently only support OpenJPA that needs to be downloaded separately (and not the JPA implementation that comes up with EJB 3.0 fixpack).
    Thanks
    Neeraj
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-01T19:04:51Z  
    Hey Earl,
    In case you have trouble locating the sample. It is located under <WAS_HOME>/installableApps/SimpleJPASample.ear
    Instructions can be found under <WAS_HOME>/longRunning/SimpleJPASampleREADME.txt
    I am assuming you have CG 6.1.0.5
    Thanks
    Neeraj
    Thanks. I found the sample and have imported it into RAD. I didn't realize there was a JPA sample. I'll give it a try.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    783 Posts

‏2009-07-01T19:07:03Z  
    Hey Earl,
    Have you tried running the SimpleJPASample that ships with the product? You should also find instructions on installing and configuring the sample. Let me know if you have trouble locating it.
    We currently only support OpenJPA that needs to be downloaded separately (and not the JPA implementation that comes up with EJB 3.0 fixpack).
    Thanks
    Neeraj
    Hey Earl,
    In case you have trouble locating the sample. It is located under <WAS_HOME>/installableApps/SimpleJPASample.ear
    Instructions can be found under <WAS_HOME>/longRunning/SimpleJPASampleREADME.txt
    I am assuming you have CG 6.1.0.5
    Thanks
    Neeraj
    Updated on 2009-07-01T19:07:03Z at 2009-07-01T19:07:03Z by SystemAdmin
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-02T11:36:34Z  
    Thanks. I found the sample and have imported it into RAD. I didn't realize there was a JPA sample. I'll give it a try.
    Chris,
    It appears that the sample has the same issue I was seeing. I think the problem relates back to this warning:

7/2/09 7:16:42:452 EDT 00000067 SystemErr R 9266 hellojpa WARN [java.lang.ThreadGroupname=DefaultWorkManager: SimpleJPASampleEAR,maxpri=10] openjpa.Enhance - This configuration disallows runtime optimization, but the following listed types were not enhanced at build time or at class load time with a javaagent: "http://class com.ibm.websphere.batch.samples.streams.Message".

Is there a WAS setting I have missed in my JPA config?

I have attached the full console log for the sample run.

Regards,

Earl
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    783 Posts

‏2009-07-06T17:08:32Z  
    Chris,
    It appears that the sample has the same issue I was seeing. I think the problem relates back to this warning:

7/2/09 7:16:42:452 EDT 00000067 SystemErr R 9266 hellojpa WARN [java.lang.ThreadGroupname=DefaultWorkManager: SimpleJPASampleEAR,maxpri=10] openjpa.Enhance - This configuration disallows runtime optimization, but the following listed types were not enhanced at build time or at class load time with a javaagent: "http://class com.ibm.websphere.batch.samples.streams.Message".

Is there a WAS setting I have missed in my JPA config?

I have attached the full console log for the sample run.

Regards,

Earl
    Hi Earl,
    What version of WAS are you using? and what version of OpenJPA did you download and copy to the WAS_HOME/lib directory?
    Thanks
    Neeraj
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-07T02:17:11Z  
    Hi Earl,
    What version of WAS are you using? and what version of OpenJPA did you download and copy to the WAS_HOME/lib directory?
    Thanks
    Neeraj
    WAS 7.0 and OpenJPA 1.2.1. I was able to get around the issue with my POC by running wsenhancer (command line) against my entity class. I have not tried it with the sample, but I assume it would work for that as well.
    Regards,
    Earl
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-13T13:26:31Z  
    WAS 7.0 and OpenJPA 1.2.1. I was able to get around the issue with my POC by running wsenhancer (command line) against my entity class. I have not tried it with the sample, but I assume it would work for that as well.
    Regards,
    Earl
    I am using a non-XA datasource and getting an exception when the JPAWriter attempts to commit.

org.apache.openjpa.persistence.RollbackException: DSRA9350E: Operation Connection.commit is not allowed during a global transaction.

From what I have found in Google, my transaction should either be using Bean managed persistence or not be attempting to commit. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    Thanks,
    Earl
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    783 Posts

‏2009-07-13T14:57:00Z  
    I am using a non-XA datasource and getting an exception when the JPAWriter attempts to commit.

org.apache.openjpa.persistence.RollbackException: DSRA9350E: Operation Connection.commit is not allowed during a global transaction.

From what I have found in Google, my transaction should either be using Bean managed persistence or not be attempting to commit. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    Thanks,
    Earl
    Hi Earl,
    A question about your sample, what is the difference between the one that you said worked earlier and this one? Can you share your persistence.xml? and any logs that you may have.
    Thanks
    Neeraj
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-13T15:16:21Z  
    Hi Earl,
    A question about your sample, what is the difference between the one that you said worked earlier and this one? Can you share your persistence.xml? and any logs that you may have.
    Thanks
    Neeraj
    The one that worked wasn't using the CG framework to access the JPA datasource. It was accessing the database using a JPAManager directly from the BatchJobStepInterface processJobStep() method as I was only using the database to get some seed values.

Persistence.xml attached. Not much to it. Actually exactly the same as in the other job.
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-13T15:54:28Z  
    The one that worked wasn't using the CG framework to access the JPA datasource. It was accessing the database using a JPAManager directly from the BatchJobStepInterface processJobStep() method as I was only using the database to get some seed values.

Persistence.xml attached. Not much to it. Actually exactly the same as in the other job.
    Attached console log.
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-13T15:56:00Z  
    Attached console log.
    Attached JPAWriter updated with JPAManager annotations.
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-14T13:24:08Z  
    Attached JPAWriter updated with JPAManager annotations.
    A quick update... I have no issues using the same datasource with similar coding techniques as an input stream. See the attached zip file for the JPAInputStream and JPAReader source.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    783 Posts

‏2009-07-15T20:25:22Z  
    A quick update... I have no issues using the same datasource with similar coding techniques as an input stream. See the attached zip file for the JPAInputStream and JPAReader source.
    Hi Earl,
    Is it possible to share your sample application ? Might be easier for us to debug and figure out whats going wrong.
    If you prefer you can send us your application via email through your IBM representative.
    Thanks
    Neeraj
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-16T03:33:07Z  
    Hi Earl,
    Is it possible to share your sample application ? Might be easier for us to debug and figure out whats going wrong.
    If you prefer you can send us your application via email through your IBM representative.
    Thanks
    Neeraj
    I have renamed some classes and packages since earlier postings. Here is the most current application and the console log with the error.

File index
    Console log: console.log.txt
    Streams: JPAOutputStream.java, JPAWriter (SandboxNotesJPA.jar), TextFileStream.java
    Step: CreateCustomerNotes.java
    Props: CreateCustomerNotes.props
    Entity: CustomerNotes (SandboxNotesJPA.jar)

As noted in earlier posts, its necessary to manually enhance the entity class using %app_server_root%\bin\wsenhancer.bat prior to packaging the application.

Another interesting problem I've encountered is that classes in utility jar files in lib (path ../lib from the ant script) are not found. That's why you see SandboxNotesJPA.jar in the ear root.

Here's the xJCL for reference:
    <job name="CreateCustomerNotes" default-application-name="CreateCustomerNotes" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <jndi-name>ejb/com/ibm/ws/batch/CreateCustomerNotesBatchController</jndi-name>
    <step-scheduling-criteria>
    <scheduling-mode>sequential</scheduling-mode>
    </step-scheduling-criteria>
    <checkpoint-algorithm name="chkpt">
    <classname>com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.batch.spi.SandboxNotesRecordbased</classname>
    <props>
    <prop name="recordcount" value="5"/>
    </props>
    </checkpoint-algorithm>
    <results-algorithms>
    <results-algorithm name="jobsum">
    <classname>com.ibm.wsspi.batch.resultsalgorithms.jobsum</classname>
    </results-algorithm>
    </results-algorithms>
    <job-step name="Step1">
    <jndi-name>ejb/com/bac/zsa/sandbox/notes/batch/CreateCustomerNotes</jndi-name>
    <checkpoint-algorithm-ref name="chkpt"/>
    <results-ref name="jobsum"/>
    <batch-data-streams>
    <bds>
    <logical-name>outputStream</logical-name>
    <props>
    <prop name="EnablePerformanceMeasurement" value="false"/>
    <prop name="EnableDetailedPerformanceMeasurement" value="false"/>
    <prop name="PERSISTENT_UNIT" value="SandboxNotesJPA"/>
    <prop name="debug" value="true"/>
    <prop name="PATTERN_IMPL_CLASS" value="com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.batch.streams.JPAOutputStream"/>
    </props>
    <impl-class>com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.jpa.controller.JPAWriter</impl-class>
    </bds>
    <bds>
    <logical-name>inputStream</logical-name>
    <props>
    <prop name="FILENAME" value="C:/Docume~1/ts03412/MyDocu~1/IBM/rationalsdp/workspace/SandboxNotesBatch/data/seed.txt"/>
    <prop name="PATTERN_IMPL_CLASS" value="com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.batch.streams.TextFileStream"/>
    </props>
    <impl-class>com.ibm.websphere.batch.devframework.datastreams.patterns.TextFileReader</impl-class>
    </bds>
    </batch-data-streams>
    <props>
    <prop name="JobStepId" value="Seed"/>
    <prop name="BATCHRECORDPROCESSOR" value="com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.batch.steps.CreateCustomerNotes"/>
    <prop name="title" value="Seed Customer Notes Database"/>
    </props>
    </job-step>
    </job>

Thanks,

Earl
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    783 Posts

‏2009-07-16T22:14:21Z  
    I have renamed some classes and packages since earlier postings. Here is the most current application and the console log with the error.

File index
    Console log: console.log.txt
    Streams: JPAOutputStream.java, JPAWriter (SandboxNotesJPA.jar), TextFileStream.java
    Step: CreateCustomerNotes.java
    Props: CreateCustomerNotes.props
    Entity: CustomerNotes (SandboxNotesJPA.jar)

As noted in earlier posts, its necessary to manually enhance the entity class using %app_server_root%\bin\wsenhancer.bat prior to packaging the application.

Another interesting problem I've encountered is that classes in utility jar files in lib (path ../lib from the ant script) are not found. That's why you see SandboxNotesJPA.jar in the ear root.

Here's the xJCL for reference:
    <job name="CreateCustomerNotes" default-application-name="CreateCustomerNotes" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <jndi-name>ejb/com/ibm/ws/batch/CreateCustomerNotesBatchController</jndi-name>
    <step-scheduling-criteria>
    <scheduling-mode>sequential</scheduling-mode>
    </step-scheduling-criteria>
    <checkpoint-algorithm name="chkpt">
    <classname>com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.batch.spi.SandboxNotesRecordbased</classname>
    <props>
    <prop name="recordcount" value="5"/>
    </props>
    </checkpoint-algorithm>
    <results-algorithms>
    <results-algorithm name="jobsum">
    <classname>com.ibm.wsspi.batch.resultsalgorithms.jobsum</classname>
    </results-algorithm>
    </results-algorithms>
    <job-step name="Step1">
    <jndi-name>ejb/com/bac/zsa/sandbox/notes/batch/CreateCustomerNotes</jndi-name>
    <checkpoint-algorithm-ref name="chkpt"/>
    <results-ref name="jobsum"/>
    <batch-data-streams>
    <bds>
    <logical-name>outputStream</logical-name>
    <props>
    <prop name="PERSISTENT_UNIT" value="SandboxNotesJPA"/>
    <prop name="PATTERN_IMPL_CLASS" value="com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.batch.streams.JPAOutputStream"/>
    </props>
    <impl-class>com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.jpa.controller.JPAWriter</impl-class>
    </bds>
    <bds>
    <logical-name>inputStream</logical-name>
    <props>
    <prop name="FILENAME" value="C:/Docume~1/ts03412/MyDocu~1/IBM/rationalsdp/workspace/SandboxNotesBatch/data/seed.txt"/>
    <prop name="PATTERN_IMPL_CLASS" value="com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.batch.streams.TextFileStream"/>
    </props>
    <impl-class>com.ibm.websphere.batch.devframework.datastreams.patterns.TextFileReader</impl-class>
    </bds>
    </batch-data-streams>
    <props>
    <prop name="JobStepId" value="Seed"/>
    <prop name="BATCHRECORDPROCESSOR" value="com.bac.zsa.sandbox.notes.batch.steps.CreateCustomerNotes"/>
    <prop name="title" value="Seed Customer Notes Database"/>
    </props>
    </job-step>
    </job>

Thanks,

Earl
    Hi Earl,
    So a couple of things:
    1. Take a look at the persistence.xml below there are a few key things to note here:

<persistence xmlns=
    "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence" xmlns:xsi=
    "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" version=
    "1.0"> <persistence-unit name=
    "hellojpa" transaction-type=
    "RESOURCE_LOCAL">   <provider>com.ibm.websphere.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl</provider> <non-jta-data-source>jdbc/simpleJPA</non-jta-data-source> <mapping-file>META-INF/orm.xml</mapping-file> <class>com.ibm.websphere.samples.Message</class> <properties> <property name=
    "openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings" value=
    "buildSchema" /> <property name=
    "openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary" value=
    "db2"/> <property name=
    "openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses" value=
    "supported"/> <property name=
    "openjpa.MetaDataFactory" value=
    "jpa(Types=com.ibm.websphere.samples.Message)"/> </properties> </persistence-unit> </persistence>

a. The transaction type is set to RESOURCE_LOCAL This is because we manage our own transactions instead of enlisting in the existing JTA transactions.

b. Use the tag non-jta-data-source instead. As we do not want this datasource to get enlisted in the global transaction.

c. You need to use a XA datasource (since you were using a non-xa datasource the commits were failing).

d. You need to set the custom property nonTransactionalDataSource=true on the above datasource. Note the ability to exclude a xa datasource from a global transaction is not available in older WAS versions (but is available in WAS 70).

e. If you do not want to enhance your persistent classes at build time set the RuntimeUnenhancedClasses to supported and list your class name in the MetaDataFactory property as in the above example. You could also pass them via your xJCL

f. WAS 7 comes with the EJB 3 feature pack so you don't have to download OpenJPA separately you can just set the provider to
    com.ibm.websphere.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl as above.

I am attaching an updated sample. You will need to create a DB2 XA datasource called jdbc/simpleJPA as described in c and d above and point it to a valid DB2 database.

Let us know if you have questions/issues.
    Thanks
    Neeraj
  • earlRogers
    earlRogers
    26 Posts

‏2009-07-21T13:22:55Z  
    Hi Earl,
    So a couple of things:
    1. Take a look at the persistence.xml below there are a few key things to note here:
    <pre class="jive-pre"> <persistence xmlns= "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence" xmlns:xsi= "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" version= "1.0"> <persistence-unit name= "hellojpa" transaction-type= "RESOURCE_LOCAL"> <provider>com.ibm.websphere.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl</provider> <non-jta-data-source>jdbc/simpleJPA</non-jta-data-source> <mapping-file>META-INF/orm.xml</mapping-file> <class>com.ibm.websphere.samples.Message</class> <properties> <property name= "openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings" value= "buildSchema" /> <property name= "openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary" value= "db2"/> <property name= "openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses" value= "supported"/> <property name= "openjpa.MetaDataFactory" value= "jpa(Types=com.ibm.websphere.samples.Message)"/> </properties> </persistence-unit> </persistence> </pre>
    a. The transaction type is set to RESOURCE_LOCAL This is because we manage our own transactions instead of enlisting in the existing JTA transactions.

b. Use the tag non-jta-data-source instead. As we do not want this datasource to get enlisted in the global transaction.

c. You need to use a XA datasource (since you were using a non-xa datasource the commits were failing).

d. You need to set the custom property nonTransactionalDataSource=true on the above datasource. Note the ability to exclude a xa datasource from a global transaction is not available in older WAS versions (but is available in WAS 70).

e. If you do not want to enhance your persistent classes at build time set the RuntimeUnenhancedClasses to supported and list your class name in the MetaDataFactory property as in the above example. You could also pass them via your xJCL

f. WAS 7 comes with the EJB 3 feature pack so you don't have to download OpenJPA separately you can just set the provider to
    com.ibm.websphere.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl as above.

I am attaching an updated sample. You will need to create a DB2 XA datasource called jdbc/simpleJPA as described in c and d above and point it to a valid DB2 database.

Let us know if you have questions/issues.
    Thanks
    Neeraj
    Thanks, Neeraj! My batch application is now working. I have one final step to build in order to complete our initial test.
  • Veluri
    Veluri
    31 Posts

‏2012-04-05T22:41:15Z  
    Thanks, Neeraj! My batch application is now working. I have one final step to build in order to complete our initial test.
    Thanks Neeraj: You Batch Application Solutions are very useful to me.
    I have question:
    question: In RSA 8 I created new Batch project. It creates EJB ,Batch and Enterprise Project.
    where Should I create my JPA entity class(es) file in EJB or Batch ..?