Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-06-24T02:17:06Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
265 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic New to XForms

‏2009-06-23T12:32:14Z |
Hi all,
I am new to XForms. Here I am giving what I know about XForms. Please make corrections if any.
We can include XForms in a host language such as XHTML. We use XSLT to display the XHTML. The submitted data is send as XML document that need to be collected at the server.
If I am not correct please help me. How do I start learning XForms technology.

thanks
raj
Updated on 2009-06-24T02:17:06Z at 2009-06-24T02:17:06Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    265 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: New to XForms

‏2009-06-23T15:27:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Yes, we can include XForms in a host language such as XHTML.

But there is no need of XSLT to display the XHTML because browsers directly interpret XHTML. Browsers don't directly interpret XForms and an XForms implementation is required for that. My own implementation (XSLTForms: http://www.agencexml.com/xsltforms) is based on XSLT 1.0 to convert XHTML+XForms to XHTML+AJAX.

Yes, the submitted data is sent as XML document to the server which can do everything it likes with it.

-Alain
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    265 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: New to XForms

‏2009-06-24T02:17:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Raj,

Like Alain said, you don't need to transform the XHTML with XSLT, but as XForms is not a technology implemented in browsers, you need to use an XForms implementation. XForms implementations come in a number of "flavors": there are server-side XForms implementations like Orbeon Forms (on which I work) and Chiba, there are plugins like the Firefox XForms plugin or the formsPlayer plugin for IE, and there are client-side implementation like XSLTForms. I hope this helps,

Alex
    --
    Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms, open source, for the Enterprise
    http://www.orbeon.com/