• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-09-03T19:58:01Z by cmknight
smart_dev
smart_dev
33 Posts

Pinned topic Access permission on WCM items

‏2009-06-17T11:04:47Z |
Hi,

I am using websphere portal 6.1.0.1. I am having a scenario where I have multiple authors and I need to provide access permission in such a way that each author will not be able see the conent item of another author.

For example I have an author A who is publishing a content called content-A. Now when author B logs in to the portal and access the authoring portlet then it should not be allowed to view/modify the content-A which is created by author A.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
Mihir Shah
Updated on 2009-09-03T19:58:01Z at 2009-09-03T19:58:01Z by cmknight
  • cmknight
    cmknight
    445 Posts

Re: Access permission on WCM items

‏2009-07-02T17:00:31Z  
    This is tricky because typically you would assign access to the authors group.

However, in 6.1 in the drop downs for security on workflow stages, can you not select Author from the available user/groups?

SO in the Delete access on the workflow stages, just add author there. That way, only authors will be able to see their own content. Well I'd assume you'd add approvers to approve and read, which is different.
    Christopher Knight
  • smart_dev
    smart_dev
    33 Posts

‏2009-07-21T13:48:15Z  
    • cmknight
    • ‏2009-07-02T17:00:31Z
    This is tricky because typically you would assign access to the authors group.

However, in 6.1 in the drop downs for security on workflow stages, can you not select Author from the available user/groups?

SO in the Delete access on the workflow stages, just add author there. That way, only authors will be able to see their own content. Well I'd assume you'd add approvers to approve and read, which is different.
    Christopher Knight
    Thanks Chris for your reply.

I am little bit confused here. What I have done is I have assigned the editor access for both the authors i.e. Author A and Author B on Content item type. So now both the authors can view/edit/create the content in the same library.

In authoring portlet, in content view as well as in All items view, I can see the contents belonging to other author as well. I have only one workflow for my site. This is the workflow which is used to apply to each content in the site. Using this workflow How can I seperate the contents authorwise. How can I restrict one author to view contents of some other author in authoring template?

As I am not much aware of WCM access permission structure, can you guide me in this?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Mihir
  • smart_dev
    smart_dev
    33 Posts

‏2009-07-28T12:12:55Z  
    • smart_dev
    • ‏2009-07-21T13:48:15Z
    Thanks Chris for your reply.

I am little bit confused here. What I have done is I have assigned the editor access for both the authors i.e. Author A and Author B on Content item type. So now both the authors can view/edit/create the content in the same library.

In authoring portlet, in content view as well as in All items view, I can see the contents belonging to other author as well. I have only one workflow for my site. This is the workflow which is used to apply to each content in the site. Using this workflow How can I seperate the contents authorwise. How can I restrict one author to view contents of some other author in authoring template?

As I am not much aware of WCM access permission structure, can you guide me in this?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Mihir
    Please see below steps that I have performed with respect to access permission in my WCM solution.

1. I have provided user role to all users on my library.
    2. I have provided contributor access to all authors on my library.
    3. I have put inheritance block for user and contributor roles on library resources (all item types- Authoring Template, Presentation Template, Site and SiteAreas, Content, Taxonomy,Workflow and workflow elements, components etc.)
    4. I have put content authors into the editor role on Content item type so that they can create content from authoring portlet.
    5. I am also providing a portlet (written using WCM API) using which author will publish content along with authoring portlet provided out of the box.

After doing this what i observed is that an author can't edit/copy contents which belongs to other author from the authoring portlet. But yes he can read and preview the content published by another author. This thing i need to prevent. I am using a single workflow here for all the content items and not set any permissions on workflow stages for items.

Any idea or suggestion greatly appreciated.
  • cmknight
    cmknight
    445 Posts

‏2009-07-30T14:27:28Z  
    • smart_dev
    • ‏2009-07-28T12:12:55Z
    Please see below steps that I have performed with respect to access permission in my WCM solution.

1. I have provided user role to all users on my library.
    2. I have provided contributor access to all authors on my library.
    3. I have put inheritance block for user and contributor roles on library resources (all item types- Authoring Template, Presentation Template, Site and SiteAreas, Content, Taxonomy,Workflow and workflow elements, components etc.)
    4. I have put content authors into the editor role on Content item type so that they can create content from authoring portlet.
    5. I am also providing a portlet (written using WCM API) using which author will publish content along with authoring portlet provided out of the box.

After doing this what i observed is that an author can't edit/copy contents which belongs to other author from the authoring portlet. But yes he can read and preview the content published by another author. This thing i need to prevent. I am using a single workflow here for all the content items and not set any permissions on workflow stages for items.

Any idea or suggestion greatly appreciated.
    Can you set the editor access in the workflow stage to Author instead of using the authoring group? Assuming you're using 6.1
    Christopher Knight
  • smart_dev
    smart_dev
    33 Posts

‏2009-08-19T16:52:15Z  
    • cmknight
    • ‏2009-07-30T14:27:28Z
    Can you set the editor access in the workflow stage to Author instead of using the authoring group? Assuming you're using 6.1
    Christopher Knight
    Hi,

After some brain storming we decided to stop this approach and go with multiple libraries approach.

This means that we will be having seperate library for seperate dealerships. Each author from each dealership will be viewing a library on which he has been assigned an access. It means that in authoring portlet an author from one dealership will not be allowed to view a library from other dealerships.

Now this means that I need to create seperate artifacts (Authoring templates, presentation templates, library components, workflows etc) for each library. Is there a mechanism in place where I can use an existing component library or other artifacts? May be a common place where I can put my artifacts and then reuse it in multiple libraries. This way I can reduce efforts of creating the same kind of content multiple times for each library.

Any ideas of thoughts are greately appreciated.

Regards,
    Mihir Shah
  • jacob_poly
    jacob_poly
    16 Posts

‏2009-09-03T11:43:46Z  
    • smart_dev
    • ‏2009-08-19T16:52:15Z
    Hi,

After some brain storming we decided to stop this approach and go with multiple libraries approach.

This means that we will be having seperate library for seperate dealerships. Each author from each dealership will be viewing a library on which he has been assigned an access. It means that in authoring portlet an author from one dealership will not be allowed to view a library from other dealerships.

Now this means that I need to create seperate artifacts (Authoring templates, presentation templates, library components, workflows etc) for each library. Is there a mechanism in place where I can use an existing component library or other artifacts? May be a common place where I can put my artifacts and then reuse it in multiple libraries. This way I can reduce efforts of creating the same kind of content multiple times for each library.

Regards,
    Mihir Shah
    I think there is but I am trying to find out more as I have the same requirement. Here is a link to it -> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wp.ent.doc/wcm/wcm_planning_libraries_architecture.html

See Example 1 there....now just trying to implement it.

Thanks,
    Jake.
  • metkhoo
    metkhoo
    138 Posts

‏2009-09-03T16:21:39Z  
    I think there is but I am trying to find out more as I have the same requirement. Here is a link to it -> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wp.ent.doc/wcm/wcm_planning_libraries_architecture.html

See Example 1 there....now just trying to implement it.

Thanks,
    Jake.
    Hi,

There is an add-on product to WCM that does this exact thing (and more). It uses a set of custom workflow actions (i.e. WCM 6.1 or above) which greatly enhance the flexibility of standard WCM workflow. Your scenario is just one of many that are supported.

For example, some common use cases that are not possible with standard WCM but are solved are:
    • Allow review dates to be changed on live content items when you do not have edit access to the content item
    • Allow authors to select named approvers without asking the author to select another workflow
    • Branch to different approvers and different workflows based on element values in the content item
    • Stop an author approving their own content when they are in both the authors group and approvers group
    • In a portal implementation, workflow the underlying portal page along with content

Also, if you go for multiple libaries, the same add-on product will allow content authors to create content in their own libraries and then make all the libraries appear to be in one site framework. Sites are effectively "grafted" onto site areas.

The product is "Domisphere Portal Manager" and you may read more about it on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domisphere_Portal_Manager

/Marcus
  • cmknight
    cmknight
    445 Posts

‏2009-09-03T19:58:01Z  
    • smart_dev
    • ‏2009-08-19T16:52:15Z
    Hi,

Regards,
    Mihir Shah
    Yeah you can store all the common elements within a shared library instead of recreating them. You would just have a design library.
    Christopher Knight