Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-06T12:50:04Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
4779 Posts

Pinned topic Default password for DS6800

‏2009-06-16T01:13:47Z |
Had an IT resource leave without documenting his password for our DS6800.

Is there a default password that can be used via SSH or the console? tried infiniti, etc and they didn't work.
Updated on 2012-11-06T12:50:04Z at 2012-11-06T12:50:04Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

Re: Default password for DS6800

‏2009-06-16T09:32:23Z  
    If you are trying to manage the DS6000 via the Web GUI interface or the DSCLI interface, and you don't know the password of the 'admin' userid, there is a way to reset the admin password back to default (the default password for the 'admin' userid, is 'admin').
    To do this follow the procedure at the Info Center here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dsichelp/ds6000ic/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.storage.smric.help.doc/f2c_pwunlock_24dktg.html
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2009-06-17T03:09:49Z  
    If you are trying to manage the DS6000 via the Web GUI interface or the DSCLI interface, and you don't know the password of the 'admin' userid, there is a way to reset the admin password back to default (the default password for the 'admin' userid, is 'admin').
    To do this follow the procedure at the Info Center here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dsichelp/ds6000ic/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.storage.smric.help.doc/f2c_pwunlock_24dktg.html
    Thanks Anthony.

My understanding is that the ersetpassword script just resets the password on the storage manager. In my case I can access the storage manager but I cannot attach the storage units since the network config is incorrect and I cannot log into the console or via SSH without some sort of default password or ability to reset the processor boards.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2009-06-17T03:13:26Z  
    Thanks Anthony.

My understanding is that the ersetpassword script just resets the password on the storage manager. In my case I can access the storage manager but I cannot attach the storage units since the network config is incorrect and I cannot log into the console or via SSH without some sort of default password or ability to reset the processor boards.
    Your understanding of the reset script is correct.

To logon to the controllers themselves using SSH you can logon as 'guest' with a password of 'guest'.
    This lets you set the IP addresses for each controllers (and do other network setup).

If you can logon as 'guest' without an issue but cannot 'Add Storage Unit' then you will need the assistance of IBM to restart the JAVA process running in the controllers themselves (or determine if some other internal issue is blocking you).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2009-06-17T18:00:03Z  
    Your understanding of the reset script is correct.

To logon to the controllers themselves using SSH you can logon as 'guest' with a password of 'guest'.
    This lets you set the IP addresses for each controllers (and do other network setup).

If you can logon as 'guest' without an issue but cannot 'Add Storage Unit' then you will need the assistance of IBM to restart the JAVA process running in the controllers themselves (or determine if some other internal issue is blocking you).
    Anthony,

I can open an SSH session to both controllers but guest/guest doesn't work. Looks like the bozos changed that as well!

I guess I will need a call to IBM to see if they can reset the cards to factory default.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2009-06-17T22:24:13Z  
    I have not met many users who have changed the 'guest' userid password,
    but it is 'option 3' on the menu, so it is certainly possible.
    You will indeed need IBMs help to resolve this.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2012-11-06T12:50:04Z  
    Try with tucs0n! Enjoy