Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-07-30T09:59:32Z by Michael
Michael
Michael
3 Posts

Pinned topic ** URGENT** - Record effort against a profile

‏2009-05-26T10:19:31Z |
How can I record effort spent to date against a profile created for a 3rd party contractor that does not have access to RPM? Many thanx. Michael
Updated on 2009-07-30T09:59:32Z at 2009-07-30T09:59:32Z by Michael
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1569 Posts

Re: ** URGENT** - Record effort against a profile

‏2009-07-06T18:24:38Z  
    I think that you are thinking in the wrong way pal. If you read the PMBoK or any methodology book you realize that it doesn't has sense to assign effort to a profile. A profile is a way to manage groups of people with some commons skills, competencies, geographic allocations, etc. If what you need is to track effort from some profile, I would recommend that you charge a profile in your WBS and then assign to some people that are on a group charged on your profile's management. You can even create an attribute to follow later on your people's profile portlet.
    Most important is the fundamental concept: You can only assign effort to a person but not to a profile.
  • Michael
    Michael
    3 Posts

Record effort against a profile

‏2009-07-30T09:59:32Z  
    I think that you are thinking in the wrong way pal. If you read the PMBoK or any methodology book you realize that it doesn't has sense to assign effort to a profile. A profile is a way to manage groups of people with some commons skills, competencies, geographic allocations, etc. If what you need is to track effort from some profile, I would recommend that you charge a profile in your WBS and then assign to some people that are on a group charged on your profile's management. You can even create an attribute to follow later on your people's profile portlet.
    Most important is the fundamental concept: You can only assign effort to a person but not to a profile.
    Thanx for the reply. I was under the impression that you could not assign effort to a profile given the very nature of the use of a profile. The reason for the question was because I was led to believe when I took over the RPM application that effort could be assigned to a profile. I really wanted to be certain of this in regard to how I addressed this question going forward as we have a number of 3rd party contract resource who do not have RPM access but whose effort still needs to be tracked against the project.

Michael