Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-07-13T15:13:48Z by dtremain
igorM
igorM
302 Posts

Pinned topic Cognos 8.4 Report Studio: How to set decimal delimiter?

‏2009-05-21T11:43:14Z |
Hi,
default decimal delimiter is "." and "," as thousand separator. I would like to set vice versa so: decimal delimiter "," and thousand separator as "." as default delimiter for all new reports.

How to change decimal delimiter (global settings for all new reports)?
Regards
Updated on 2009-07-13T15:13:48Z at 2009-07-13T15:13:48Z by dtremain
  • dtremain
    dtremain
    455 Posts

Re: Cognos 8.4 Report Studio: How to set decimal delimiter?

‏2009-05-21T14:14:24Z  
    Check the installation and configuration manual, and the KB (probably not in either place, but worth looking). Failing that, contact Cognos Support.
    The decimal setting is changeable in the Format; Number functionality. The defaults have to be set somewhere - hopefully they're not hard coded.
  • LynnMRivera
    LynnMRivera
    257 Posts

‏2009-05-21T16:50:34Z  
    Maybe this is related to the default language? What you are describing is the convention in some parts of the world, so perhaps setting to the appropriate locale would address this. Just a guess on my part so few grains of salt along with it....
  • dtremain
    dtremain
    455 Posts

‏2009-05-21T17:22:42Z  
    Maybe this is related to the default language? What you are describing is the convention in some parts of the world, so perhaps setting to the appropriate locale would address this. Just a guess on my part so few grains of salt along with it....
    Good post Lynn. In the Report Studio Professional Authoring User Guide (RS Help), under locale-sensitive properties, it lists Decimal Symbol and Thousands Separator. The locale is set in IBM Cognos Connection. Settings in RS's Format properties override the locale defaults, so be sure these values are not set in Format in RS.
  • LynnMRivera
    LynnMRivera
    257 Posts

‏2009-05-21T17:27:19Z  
    • dtremain
    • ‏2009-05-21T17:22:42Z
    Good post Lynn. In the Report Studio Professional Authoring User Guide (RS Help), under locale-sensitive properties, it lists Decimal Symbol and Thousands Separator. The locale is set in IBM Cognos Connection. Settings in RS's Format properties override the locale defaults, so be sure these values are not set in Format in RS.
    As always, you go the extra mile David!
  • igorM
    igorM
    302 Posts

‏2009-05-22T08:52:29Z  
    As always, you go the extra mile David!
    Hi,
    is there any way I could configure Cognos to use browser settings?

Firefox 3 on Windows XP:
    Tools | Options | Content tab | Language section | Choose button | Languages in order of preference ---> The first locale that appears in this list should take care of decimal and thousands separator.

Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP:
    Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Appearance section | Languages button | Language list ---> The first locale that appears in this list should take care of decimal and thousands separator.

I have been using Hyperion products for 10 years and this was the way that was set. Just wondering if there is some settings in Cognos that this default browser settings could be used.
    Regards
  • igorM
    igorM
    302 Posts

‏2009-05-28T13:04:03Z  
    • igorM
    • ‏2009-05-22T08:52:29Z
    Hi,
    is there any way I could configure Cognos to use browser settings?

Firefox 3 on Windows XP:
    Tools | Options | Content tab | Language section | Choose button | Languages in order of preference ---> The first locale that appears in this list should take care of decimal and thousands separator.

Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP:
    Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Appearance section | Languages button | Language list ---> The first locale that appears in this list should take care of decimal and thousands separator.

I have been using Hyperion products for 10 years and this was the way that was set. Just wondering if there is some settings in Cognos that this default browser settings could be used.
    Regards
    Hi,
    now I have found out that Cognos 8 Report Studio and Cognos Viewer is using locale info, but I am so unlucky that I live in the country that is not! supported by Cognos 8. In Report Studio in Run | Run Options there is Language box where language can be selected. I have tested this with German language and I see decimal/thousand separator has changed. But I am so unlucky that my language is not listed, so it looks like Cognos 8 is using English locate if it doesn't find locale.
    Regards
  • igorM
    igorM
    302 Posts

‏2009-07-13T08:50:55Z  
    • igorM
    • ‏2009-05-28T13:04:03Z
    Hi,
    now I have found out that Cognos 8 Report Studio and Cognos Viewer is using locale info, but I am so unlucky that I live in the country that is not! supported by Cognos 8. In Report Studio in Run | Run Options there is Language box where language can be selected. I have tested this with German language and I see decimal/thousand separator has changed. But I am so unlucky that my language is not listed, so it looks like Cognos 8 is using English locate if it doesn't find locale.
    Regards
    Hi,
    I have found out that new locale settings can be manually entered into Cognos.

Instructions:
    1. Run "IBM Cognos Configuration"
    2. From menu "Action" select "Edit Global Configuration"
    3. Tab "Content Locales"
    4. Click on button "Add" and type in field "Content Locales" your language like "sl" in "sl-si" (for Slovenian).
    5. From menu "Action" select "Restart" and click on Yes button to confirm saving new settings.

Problem solved.

Regards,
    igorM
  • dtremain
    dtremain
    455 Posts

‏2009-07-13T15:13:48Z  
    • igorM
    • ‏2009-07-13T08:50:55Z
    Hi,
    I have found out that new locale settings can be manually entered into Cognos.

Instructions:
    1. Run "IBM Cognos Configuration"
    2. From menu "Action" select "Edit Global Configuration"
    3. Tab "Content Locales"
    4. Click on button "Add" and type in field "Content Locales" your language like "sl" in "sl-si" (for Slovenian).
    5. From menu "Action" select "Restart" and click on Yes button to confirm saving new settings.

Problem solved.

Regards,
    igorM
    Great job, igorM! And thanks for posting the solution. You can't be the only one in an unsupported locale that needs to do this type of thing...