Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-15T18:10:18Z by SystemAdmin
capeme
capeme
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic VIO Server and the R2 copies of EMC Symmetrix disk

‏2009-05-19T20:02:17Z |
I have a vio server that now has the r2 copies of an EMC LUN attached (to be used for DR) and while I can see the hdiskpower I do not seem to be able to make a vdev with it. The error is:
method error (/usr/lib/methods/cfg_vt_scdisk):
0514-047 Cannot access a device

Is this because the disk is the R2 copy and set to read-only? And if so does that mean I will need to wait until I need them to make the vdev, etc?
Thanks in advance.
Updated on 2012-10-15T18:10:18Z at 2012-10-15T18:10:18Z by SystemAdmin
  • nagger
    nagger
    50 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: VIO Server and the R2 copies of EMC Symmetrix disk

‏2009-05-21T09:27:49Z  in response to capeme
    I think this needs to go to AIX Support for further investigation on the status of your LUNs.
    There are so many permutations and combinations to work through and this is near impossible via a Forum.

thanks N
  • dpshaver
    dpshaver
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-21T13:00:04Z  in response to capeme
    I have seen this before. In order to create the vdevs you will need to stop the SRDF sync and run cfgmgr on the vio servers to clear the locks on the disks. You should then be able to create your vdevs and then restart you sync's.

Be aware that if you ever reboot your VIO servers the R2 vdevs will be set to a defined state. If you need to failover to the DR environment you will need to break the sync again and run cfgmgr on the vdevs (cfgmgr -vl <vdevname>) to return them to an available state.

-dan
    • msguru
      msguru
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-24T12:47:45Z  in response to dpshaver
      i am facing the similar issue - VTD's configured with EMC R2 devices are going to defined state after reboot.

Could some one please help me how to avoid this issue and make VTD to available state upon VIO server reboot..?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1744 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-15T18:10:18Z  in response to capeme
    I have not had the time to test this out but what I've been told there is an attribute associated with the VTD that ignores errors and allows for this configuration. The attribute name is "mirrored" which can have the value "false" or "true". The default is false.