How do I install RHEL5.2 Xen hypervisor on IBM System P POWER 5

IBM model : 9131-52A
Updated on 2009-05-29T04:27:05Z at 2009-05-29T04:27:05Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

Re: Xen on System P POWER 5

‏2009-05-20T14:43:31Z  
    Is it possible to install Redhat on IBM System P series Servers ?
  • RCJ
    RCJ
    1 Post

‏2009-05-20T15:20:45Z  
    ptx,

Redhat is well supported on System p hardware. When you look at the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server information it is called out as IBM POWER for the platform.

As for Xen, I do not believe that it is supported on POWER based on the list of supported platforms RH provides.

However, a POWER machine can be partitioned and have devices and storage virtualized through the Virtual I/O Server (VIOS). The VIOS is very mature functionality and additional information is available. For your particular system you would need to have, at minimum, the Express edition of PowerVM option enabled so that you can create partitions and install a VIOS. Also, PowerVM was previously known as Advanced POWER Virtualization and you might see that in some documentation.

Hope this helps.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

‏2009-05-28T09:46:24Z  
    • RCJ
    • ‏2009-05-20T15:20:45Z
    ptx,

Redhat is well supported on System p hardware. When you look at the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server information it is called out as IBM POWER for the platform.

As for Xen, I do not believe that it is supported on POWER based on the list of supported platforms RH provides.

However, a POWER machine can be partitioned and have devices and storage virtualized through the Virtual I/O Server (VIOS). The VIOS is very mature functionality and additional information is available. For your particular system you would need to have, at minimum, the Express edition of PowerVM option enabled so that you can create partitions and install a VIOS. Also, PowerVM was previously known as Advanced POWER Virtualization and you might see that in some documentation.

Hope this helps.
    Is it possible to do a logical partitionig without HMC ?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

‏2009-05-28T11:03:16Z  
    how do I install redhat linux on power 5 system whitout HMC ?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

‏2009-05-28T12:15:25Z  
    For HMC questions, I would recommend you ask over in the PowerVM world. In short though, to do things without the HMC you'll need the Integrated Virtualization Manager (or IVM). I'm not on top of which systems the IVM comes or is available with.

The PowerVM forum is here

The PowerVM wiki pages are here
  • dsinnott
    dsinnott
    1 Post

‏2009-05-28T13:54:48Z  
    You must either have an HMC or utilize the IVM as mentioned below in order to perform logical partitioning of the Power server. IVM is software based vs the HMC, which is a combination of licensed machine code and an IBM supplied x86 server. IVM is packaged with PowerVM and runs within a VIO server on the power server. IVM is supported on power blades, the 520 and the 550 server. It does have limitations vs the HMC such as it only can support one managed server, it supports a single VIO on that server, and supports a limited number of logical partitions on the server.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

‏2009-05-29T04:27:05Z  
    • dsinnott
    • ‏2009-05-28T13:54:48Z
    You must either have an HMC or utilize the IVM as mentioned below in order to perform logical partitioning of the Power server. IVM is software based vs the HMC, which is a combination of licensed machine code and an IBM supplied x86 server. IVM is packaged with PowerVM and runs within a VIO server on the power server. IVM is supported on power blades, the 520 and the 550 server. It does have limitations vs the HMC such as it only can support one managed server, it supports a single VIO on that server, and supports a limited number of logical partitions on the server.
    after power on, no (display)single are showing in monitor. how can I get display without HMC ?