4 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-10-12T01:00:28Z by zabalex
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
232 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Bandwidth Throttling

‏2009-05-04T23:57:46Z |
Hi,

I need to throttle the bandwidth used by a linux system for system updates (as well as updated Linux Install Images ect) I have found a solution here which might do the trick.

I was wondering if anyone had any other options that might work.

I need to limit the bandwidth used by any download on the Linux system that is not LAN, whether it is an image update, firefox, ect.

Thanks in Advance.
Updated on 2011-10-12T01:00:28Z at 2011-10-12T01:00:28Z by zabalex
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    232 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Bandwidth Throttling

‏2010-05-12T17:46:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Using iptables on the server itself is only really useful for throttling the rate that traffic leaves the server (outbound traffic). Inbound traffic will be received at the rate that it is sent and I'm not sure that iptables is able to throttle it once it has reached the local machine.

This leaves some other options:
    1. Run iptables (or similar) throttling on a router somewhere between the server and the internet. There is a simple linux distribution that turns any PC into a 'slow' router. Though I'm not sure that it is designed for any kind of production usage: http://wanem.sourceforge.net/

2. Use a proxy server (such as squid) that includes bandwidth throttling options.
  • santosh_linux
    santosh_linux
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-01T13:44:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Both squid and squidguard provide good options for implementing the bandwidth usage across lan.
    • zabalex
      zabalex
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-12T00:41:03Z  in response to santosh_linux
      Thanks Santosh,

I've used squid before and it worked well for me. Now I'm trying to find a solution on ubuntu. Does anyone have any applications in mind?

Please, share.

Thanks,
      Bay Area SEO | medical website design
      • zabalex
        zabalex
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-12T01:00:28Z  in response to zabalex
        Sorry, I wish there was a method to edit my last post or delete it all together and create another one if needed.
        Basically, I'm looking for GUI solution to limit traffic and bandwidth on Linux. I've done that with number of applications using windows, but on Linux I'm more junior than I wanted.

Please, elaborate if possible.

Thanks,
        Bay Area SEO | medical website design