IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this community and its apps will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
Topic
  • 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-11-28T12:59:19Z by kabr
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
346 Posts

Pinned topic Database ID changed

‏2009-04-30T14:06:55Z |
We noticed that to day the database ID changed. This caused all DLX script to fail relying on the qualified item ID (e.g. scrips of the traceability wizard).
I thought this is unique and can not be changed.

We are running DOORS 8.3 on a Windows2003 server.

Did anyboy encounter such a change?
Any idea what can cause it?

Thanks for any hints.
Markus
Updated on 2011-06-03T15:49:45Z at 2011-06-03T15:49:45Z by slowery
  • Tony_Goodman
    Tony_Goodman
    30 Posts

Re: Database ID changed

‏2009-05-05T06:56:56Z  
    The database ID cannot be changed.

Has someone installed a new database?

To confirm the database ID, use the following:

print getDatabaseIdentifier()
  • kabr
    kabr
    12 Posts

‏2009-05-05T09:02:05Z  
    Yes, I would have taken any oath that the DB ID cannot be changed, but we've experienced just that a couple of weeks ago. Our DB ID changed from a 16 digit hex to a row of zeros! Support says that this is a defect known from V7.1 but we're using V8.3 too. Apparently there is no solution for this defect.
    The lost ID causes us a hell of trouble with a third party exchange tool. But that third party says they have seen this before, and the other people somehow got a new ID for their databases.

rgds
    Karl
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    346 Posts

‏2009-05-06T05:39:03Z  
    • kabr
    • ‏2009-05-05T09:02:05Z
    Yes, I would have taken any oath that the DB ID cannot be changed, but we've experienced just that a couple of weeks ago. Our DB ID changed from a 16 digit hex to a row of zeros! Support says that this is a defect known from V7.1 but we're using V8.3 too. Apparently there is no solution for this defect.
    The lost ID causes us a hell of trouble with a third party exchange tool. But that third party says they have seen this before, and the other people somehow got a new ID for their databases.

rgds
    Karl
    Of all my time with this tool I have never experienced or known about such a serious problem.

You wrote: Support says that this is a defect known from V7.1 but we're using V8.3 too

If they do know about it then it certainly doesn't appear to have been published to the public domain, at least I can't find any defect of this nature listed in their "Known Problem" publications with these two versions and their associated patch upgrades. I hope version 9.1 is OK, I have a lot riding on it.

Paul Miller
  • llandale
    llandale
    254 Posts

‏2009-05-06T16:05:10Z  
    • kabr
    • ‏2009-05-05T09:02:05Z

rgds
    Karl
    The v7.1 bug was associated with patch 11 (or was it 9 or 10). When an admin with such a patch modified DB properties, then when some other admin with a different version of DOORS just logged in, the DB properties got corrupted including the DB id. Yes, that bug was fixed in later v7.1 patches and yes its in those patch ReadMe files.

I doubt that applies to you since you are using v8.3. Maybe someone deleted the file that contains that ID.

>Louie
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    346 Posts

‏2009-05-06T23:27:44Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2009-05-06T16:05:10Z
    The v7.1 bug was associated with patch 11 (or was it 9 or 10). When an admin with such a patch modified DB properties, then when some other admin with a different version of DOORS just logged in, the DB properties got corrupted including the DB id. Yes, that bug was fixed in later v7.1 patches and yes its in those patch ReadMe files.

I doubt that applies to you since you are using v8.3. Maybe someone deleted the file that contains that ID.

>Louie
    Hi Louie,

I have some customer sites that are still using 7.1, I really need to check that they are not exposed. Whilst it should be a simple case of making sure that they are patched to patch #015, I would still like to refer them to the defect as evidence of the need. I have the the readme file for patch #015 which includes the "Defects Fixed" and "Enhancements" history for it and all past patches, but on a keyword search I cannot find this problem. Do you by chance know what the defect number was?
    Paul Miller
  • llandale
    llandale
    254 Posts

‏2009-05-07T14:48:50Z  
    Hi Louie,

I have some customer sites that are still using 7.1, I really need to check that they are not exposed. Whilst it should be a simple case of making sure that they are patched to patch #015, I would still like to refer them to the defect as evidence of the need. I have the the readme file for patch #015 which includes the "Defects Fixed" and "Enhancements" history for it and all past patches, but on a keyword search I cannot find this problem. Do you by chance know what the defect number was?
    Paul Miller
    I see defects 22970 (patch 11, which didn't work) and 21795 (patch 13, which did work) that talk about erasing Email notification. The problem actually included other DB properties including DB-ID. Patches v7.1 10, 11, 12 must not be used.

>Louie
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    346 Posts

‏2009-05-11T07:13:35Z  
    The database ID cannot be changed.

Has someone installed a new database?

To confirm the database ID, use the following:

print getDatabaseIdentifier()
    Here my feedback so far:

Rational DOORS support confirmed that the DB ID changed at 30/04/2009 14:58:48 after analyzing the DB files config.dtc and config.dtb.
    The incident happended while we were working on several clients. Nothing special was noticed by the users. I was connected over a VPN to the server with a database manager account and lost connection about that time because of a VPN issue. I had only one module in read only mode open, working on a view. The other users did different edit work, all only with standard powers.

The support also stated, that this incident is not related with the defect known from version 7.1 resulting in a row of zeros. We are running DOORS 8.3.0.1. The new DB-ID is 49f9a0882b592fa7.

The reason is still unknown.

The proposed procedure brought the previous DB ID back. This is:
    • stop server
    • rename config.dtc to config.dtc.bak
    • rename config.dtb to confic.dtc
    • restart server

Markus
  • slowery
    slowery
    2 Posts

‏2011-04-22T17:19:58Z  
    Here my feedback so far:

Rational DOORS support confirmed that the DB ID changed at 30/04/2009 14:58:48 after analyzing the DB files config.dtc and config.dtb.
    The incident happended while we were working on several clients. Nothing special was noticed by the users. I was connected over a VPN to the server with a database manager account and lost connection about that time because of a VPN issue. I had only one module in read only mode open, working on a view. The other users did different edit work, all only with standard powers.

The support also stated, that this incident is not related with the defect known from version 7.1 resulting in a row of zeros. We are running DOORS 8.3.0.1. The new DB-ID is 49f9a0882b592fa7.

The reason is still unknown.

The proposed procedure brought the previous DB ID back. This is:
    • stop server
    • rename config.dtc to config.dtc.bak
    • rename config.dtb to confic.dtc
    • restart server

Markus
    First apologizes for commenting on a thread that is 2 years old.

This is the only information/solution that I have been able to find about this issue.
    We are having this issue on a regular basis.

I have narrowed the cause down to a user accessing DOORS via VPN (in any Edit Mode) and then being disconnected from the VPN while still logged into DOORS.

After this happens, the DBID changes and we lose all our traceability views and DOORS URL references in outside programs.

I haven't found any discussion or resolution beyond this thread dating back to 2009.

Can anyone still on this thread comment on a fix/upgrade/any resolution.

We have a number of offsite personnel and we are continuing to lose work when the proposed fix above doesn't work and we have to resort to a backup from the previous night.

Thanks
    Steve
  • mcnairk
    mcnairk
    32 Posts

‏2011-04-26T12:35:10Z  
    • slowery
    • ‏2011-04-22T17:19:58Z
    First apologizes for commenting on a thread that is 2 years old.

This is the only information/solution that I have been able to find about this issue.
    We are having this issue on a regular basis.

I have narrowed the cause down to a user accessing DOORS via VPN (in any Edit Mode) and then being disconnected from the VPN while still logged into DOORS.

After this happens, the DBID changes and we lose all our traceability views and DOORS URL references in outside programs.

I haven't found any discussion or resolution beyond this thread dating back to 2009.

Can anyone still on this thread comment on a fix/upgrade/any resolution.

We have a number of offsite personnel and we are continuing to lose work when the proposed fix above doesn't work and we have to resort to a backup from the previous night.

Thanks
    Steve
    Do your users have the DOORS client on their local machines? Some of our users access DOORS via a VPN, but they do so via a Citrix client; the DOORS client is on the same server as the database. With this arrangement we haven't seen the problem you report. Perhaps a similar setup would be beneficial to you...

Ken.
  • slowery
    slowery
    2 Posts

‏2011-06-03T15:49:45Z  
    • mcnairk
    • ‏2011-04-26T12:35:10Z
    Do your users have the DOORS client on their local machines? Some of our users access DOORS via a VPN, but they do so via a Citrix client; the DOORS client is on the same server as the database. With this arrangement we haven't seen the problem you report. Perhaps a similar setup would be beneficial to you...

Ken.
    Yes, our users have the DOORS Client installed on their machines. I'll have to see if we can set up the arrangement you suggested.

Thanks

Steve
  • kabr
    kabr
    12 Posts

‏2014-11-28T12:59:19Z  

Here's some news to this topic:

Recently we had another case of a DOORS DB ID changed to a row of zeros. In the course of fixing this defect, IBM Rational stated that this probably was caused by connecting to a 9.5 database using a 9.3 client, due to a bug in IBM's code.

Connecting with a 9.4 client seems to be safe, so we issued the recommendation to all our DB admins to consider this in the minimum client version settings of their DB properties.

I just thought some of you folks might be interested to know.

regards

Karl