74 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-06-12T06:21:45Z by Tgefen
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47293 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic ONE WISH FOR CLEARCASE

‏2009-04-16T00:30:56Z |
Hello IBM Rational ClearCase Community:

1. What is the ONE thing you would like to see addressed/improved/added/deleted in ClearCase?

2. What positive impact will (1) have on you/your organization ?

-Product Manager, IBM Rational ClearCase.
Updated on 2012-06-12T06:21:45Z at 2012-06-12T06:21:45Z by Tgefen
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ONE WISH FOR CLEARCASE

‏2009-04-16T01:29:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    So you didn't give much context to this... I work with many ClearCase customers. I'd like to know if I should encourage them to contribute here too but I need some more background.
    Is this going to be part of some product planning? Does anything else influence it (e.g. the RFC list)? Is there any bounds on the size of the things we might ask for that might make our vote more or less useful? Does who is asking make a difference?

Things are pretty anonymous here and the people who observe and contribute aren't necessarily representative of the customer base. So it might mean your responses are skewed in ways that are not helpful to everyone.

Regards,
    Mark
    • martina
      martina
      1025 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-16T16:17:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      ONE wish for the develperWorks forum: Get the email posting fixed. Its been broken since at least October and since Marc Siegel was laid off the manual copying of email posts has stopped. Also the emails that the forum generates are truncated in certain cases (< and > characters). That has been going on at least since January. I know this isn't your thing, but hopefully you can find a person who is responsible for this.

To prove the point, did you see the email replies to this post? I am pasting below.

Martina
      Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun

ReleaseTEAM Inc
      http://www.releaseteam.com
      IBM Rational Certified Consultants
      IBM Business Partner

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 6:28 AM, Dignard, Norman <dignarn@navcanada.ca> wrote:

One wish … Simplify/clarify the documentation.

I don’t know how much time I’ve wasted reading through product documentation (Clearcase, ClearQuest, Reqpro, Rose, CCRC, etc..) to get my job done. Having to vet though the documents to put an install/upgrade together is like in trying to put a puzzle together without the picture on the box. I have found on numerous occasions dead-ends (a doc reference to another doc only to find that that doc does not exist, is outdated or it points to yet another doc) or confusing information.

When we first started with CC/CQ (2001) there was a set of docs for each OS (Windows, Unix), in a company supporting multiple operating systems you had 2 piles do docs to go though. With 2003 release, you simplified this by combining the documents – a step in the right direction. There is however more room for improvement in simplifying in a clear and concise manner so that the reader (your customers) can quickly understand what is needed/required. Just looking at this forum on the number of questions on installs should be evidence enough to indicate that there is a problem in that users are not understanding what is written.

Benefits – Easy of understanding, less wasted time , etc..

My 2 cents.

Norman Dignard

Nav Canada Technical Systems Center
      Ottawa, ONT

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Seifert Rainer <ccadmin@heidenhain.de> wrote:

Hi,

the answer is clear.
      *** A redesign of ClearCase to get a faster metadata access to label and branch types. ***
      A first step could be:
      -> Introduction of a '-quick' access mode to CC metadata
      e.g. cleartool lstype -kind lbtype -quick
      using the "cleartool dump -l vob:" command line.
      Reason & Background:
      !!! "cleartool dump -l vob:" is 10 times faster than the traditional command line " cleartool lstype -kind lbtype" !!!
      Unfortunately, the ClearCase GUI tools (e.g. the CC Type Explorer) based on the traditional slow CLI-commands (e.g. ct lstype) too.

- Rainer Seifert
      Dr. Johannes Heidenhain GmbH
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        47293 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-16T22:54:13Z  in response to martina
        I am forwarding this request to a contact in support/developerworks.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-16T22:52:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      My Responses :
      >>I'd like to know if I should encourage them to contribute here too but I need some more background.
      Yes.
      >>Is this going to be part of some product planning?
      Yes. (but no guarantees)

>>Does anything else influence it (e.g. the RFC list)?
      One Wish - Pick yours!:)

>>Is there any bounds on the size of the things we might ask for that might make our vote more or less useful?
      No.

>>Does who is asking make a difference?
      No.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-18T02:23:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    A post up-thread by Seifert Rainer pointed out problems getting metadata out of ClearCase using describe (slow) and dump (undocumented) commands. I think that's really just a subset of a larger overall problem (and solution) though. I don't think that minor incremental improvements in the existing system will ever be enough--hence I follow Rainer's thinking for a redesign--something more major is needed.

As a specific alternative I have in mind, which other VCS systems have used successfully, is to simply provide a "real" database (or API that gets that access) with that data. I would like to see a separate, open database (of customer choice--MySQL, SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, ... whatever) used to store and retrieve ClearCase metadata. I've previously filed this as RFE 2273 if anyone would like to watch, add comments or add a vote on it.

I'd also like to point out that this would go a long way towards addressing the claim in Forrester research's SCM Wave report: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/rational/web/reports/forrester_scm_wave_2007.pdf

Which has ClearCase as a leader in it's product category but points out that:

... Other weak spots include remote performance, administration, initial implementation time, and reporting and analytics.

Because ClearCase itself doesn't provide much help, users just script the hell out of the basic commands to do what we can. Due to the lack of data or performance problems getting it, however, some problems are just simply intractable--even for third party vendors. Take FishEye as a specific example: http://www.atlassian.com/software/fisheye/

A pretty unique, third-party analytical product which doesn't have support for ClearCase, despite users practically begging for it for years and ClearCase having significant--if not the most--market-share, which I should think would be incentive enough for it to have been done yesterday.

If something like this were in place, I'd imagine that the native Report Builder (windows only) tool wouldn't have to be so slow and if the native tool couldn't provide what users wanted, we (developers) could actually build something that could.
  • jeff98air
    jeff98air
    817 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-21T15:42:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    My "one" wish: Ability to relocate elements across UCM components, when possible (component modifiable to project, meta-data intact, etc). I know it's a biggie, but in a world of refactoring, it would be a great improvement.

My "one-other" wish: I would like UCM to automatically complete a posted delivery in a smart, efficient way, when no merge conflicts are involved. This would greatly reduce the amount of developer/integrator time spent remotely logging in to the mastering site in order to complete the delivery.

Thanks!

-Jeff Ng
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-21T19:51:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    1. Partial VOB replication.

1. Realtime VOB replication feed instead of this batch oriented replication stuff.
  • judyB
    judyB
    28 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-21T23:10:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I would like to see an improvement in the performance of CCRC accross a WAN. Improved performance would increase productivity, and allow us to make better use of resources, who are not all local to the repository site.

This could be a big win for us as we move more and more to the CCRC as
    • the frequency and number of developers working from home is increasing
    • we are consolidating some of our smaller development sites to be more efficient
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-22T07:03:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Possibility to easily and completely rename UCM components after they have been created. This includes both the name of the component and its directory name. Related to that is the possibility to delete, or at least completely hide vob-components. Currently, if a VOB-component is made obsolete, it is still visibly in the vob-root.

Marc
  • omalecot
    omalecot
    344 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-01T20:59:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    My wish:

• First, many classical triggers should be directly integrated in the ClearCase product. Evil twins should be detected and recovered automatically, empty branches should be avoided by default, checkin of identical versions of directories should be avoided by default, removing of checkedout elements, or of directory containing somewhere checkedout elements should always be avoided by default, and so on. All these problems should be filtered by default.

• Second, don't make company pay a Multisite license if they just work locally. Because of inter-vob hyperlink, multisite licenses are consumed even when people don't mean to use multisite. Make multisite license just free!

• Third, please provide a REAL way to use UCM in Multisite with a subcontractor, owning only a part of the UCM environment. IT JUST DOES NOT WORK. I would be very happy to talk with you about this problem.

Olivier
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-06T10:01:54Z  in response to omalecot
      Olivier:
      please provide a REAL way to use UCM in Multisite with a subcontractor, owning only a part of the UCM environment. IT JUST DOES NOT WORK. I would be very happy to talk with you about this problem.
      I'd love to read more on this.
      I can well understand that UCM doesn't support MultiSite well, because of various mastership problems,
      and delivering to predefined shared branches, using global metadata, etc.
      But one reads very little about the way different people solve these in practice.

Marc
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        47293 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-04T14:58:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        To simplify CC administration (and also its simple use, if you are not a frequent user), it's important to have a way to find the root directory of a snapshot view, knowing his tag. I would like to have it within the view properties.

CARLOS ISACOVICH
        VERYWEB S.A.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          47293 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-04T15:00:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Sorry, this wish was previously registered.

CARLOS ISACOVICH
          VERYWEB S.A.
        • Tgefen
          Tgefen
          713 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-07T20:26:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          If you use Windows, you may find it on the registry.

Regards,
          Tamir Gefen, GoMidjets
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            47293 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-11T10:13:29Z  in response to Tgefen
            Thank you, Tamir.
            Where do you can find it? I didn't find it in the Windows registry (at least, searching by the view tag in the view server).
            Indeed, this solution doesn't work for Unix snapshot views, doesn't it? Or perhaps I can find it in the registry server, if it is running Windows?
            Thank you again
            Regards

CARLOS ISACOVICH
            VERYWEB S.A.
            • Tgefen
              Tgefen
              713 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-12T06:21:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Have you checked this?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Atria\ClearCase\CurrentVersion\ClearCase
              Explorer\ViewsPage[tag-name]
              Regards,
              Tamir Gefen, GoMidjets
              Try Visual Annotate
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-07-23T22:26:16Z  in response to omalecot

omalecot wrote:

First, many classical triggers should be directly integrated in the ClearCase product. Evil twins should be detected and recovered automatically, empty branches should be avoided by default, checkin of identical versions of directories should be avoided by default, removing of checkedout elements, or of directory containing somewhere checkedout elements should always be avoided by default, and so on. All these problems should be filtered by default.

The Evil Twin problem is the single biggest hurdle I encounter when trying to convince a shop to migrate to ClearCase. All it takes is the mention of Evil Twins and I spend half an hour explaining what they are, why they're bad, and then trying to justify the tool in spite of having to implement a trigger to prevent them.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        47293 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

RE: [cciug] Re: ONE WISH FOR CLEARCASE

‏2009-07-24T20:50:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Then don't mention Evil Twins until after they are convinced. ;-)

I have customers that don't have the trigger and have never encountered the
        problem. Some development languages are more ripe for this problem than
        others.

-----Original Message-----
        From: cciug-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com mailto:cciug-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
        On Behalf Of Rational ClearCase
        Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:26 PM
        To: cciug@lists.ca.ibm.com
        Subject: cciug Re: ONE WISH FOR CLEARCASE

omalecot wrote:

First, many classical triggers should be directly integrated in the
        ClearCase product. Evil twins should be detected and recovered
        automatically, empty branches should be avoided by default, checkin of
        identical versions of directories should be avoided by default, removing of
        checkedout elements, or of directory containing somewhere checkedout
        elements should always be avoided by default, and so on. All these problems
        should be filtered by default.

The Evil Twin problem is the single biggest hurdle I encounter when trying
        to convince a shop to migrate to ClearCase. All it takes is the mention of
        Evil Twins and I spend half an hour explaining what they are, why they're
        bad, and then trying to justify the tool in spite of having to implement a
        trigger to prevent them.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          47293 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RE: [cciug] Re: ONE WISH FOR CLEARCASE

‏2009-07-24T23:29:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          What, you think that I bring them up? It's always the crusty old coot who's used RCS his whole life "and that's the way I likes it" who waits until the presentation is over, says the two words, and then leans back with his arms folded like he just checkmated Bobby Fischer. Oh yeah, never mind being able to do global distributed development, it's those damned Evil Twins, we can't have those, nooooo.
  • ThosRTanner
    ThosRTanner
    87 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-04T09:24:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    1. Release the api that clearmake uses so that other build tools can do proper build avoidance
    2. Fix the blasted issue with clearmake where it misses some operation that a sub-process does, and promptly falls over with "some other process has touched such and such a file" or "such and such a file was used but no longer exists". The last I heard from rational was that every occurrence of that needed a different fix.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-05T13:21:03Z  in response to ThosRTanner
      ThosRTanner:
      1. Release the api that clearmake uses so that other build tools can do proper build avoidance
      I second the concern.
      I would have phrased it:
      1. Complete the 'clearant' project, i.e. get winkin to work for java...
      2. Fix the 'Doug Robinson RFE': favour the older out of two matching derived objects...

Marc
      • martina
        martina
        1025 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-05T18:59:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Support latest Samba version (security updates) in a timely manner.
        The version of samba that is being supported by IBM at present is 3.0.24 and it has a number of security concerns. Later versions of samba (especially 3.3) has all of those security concerns taken care of but this version is not supported by IBM clearcase.

Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
        IBM Business Partner
        • martina
          martina
          1025 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-06T17:35:01Z  in response to martina
          posting all the email responses so Raj has those as well.

Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
          IBM Business Partner

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Vasisht, Jayanth S <jayanth.s.vasisht@intel.com> wrote:

I can speak from a CC Admin perspective echoing my developers needs.

The ability of 'recursive-add-to-source-control' is sorely missing from the GUI. Clearfsimport -nsetevent works but not all developers take liking to CLI.

Thanks,
          Jayanth

2009/4/17 Seifert Rainer <ccadmin@heidenhain.de>

Hi,

we have a simple workaround to this issue:

1st: Open the default "Windows Explorer" und run a simple "search query" with option . in the specific folder.
          2nd: Now, mark all files in the list + context menu 'add to source control'

Ready!
          - Rainer Seifert
          Senior CC Admin since 1994

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Dilip M <dilipm79@gmail.com> wrote:

My wish sorted with priority:)

1. Support clearcase on Ubuntu OS. Today Ubuntu is a most favourable
          Linux OS for many embedded software development like Android, Poky...

2. Is there any plan to make bridges between popular opensource SCM
          tools like GIT, SVN to Clearcase?
          ie, How to import sources shared on these SCM tools into clearcase
          with history?

3. Roll back the cciug mailing list. Earlier version was far better
          than today's one.

Thanks!

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 1:03 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@online.de> wrote:

Am Samstag, 18. April 2009 08:14:05 schrieb Dilip M:
          > My wish sorted with priority:)
          >
          > 1. Support clearcase on Ubuntu OS. Today Ubuntu is a most favourable
          > Linux OS for many embedded software development like Android, Poky...

Go one step further: Integrate the MVFS code into Linus' kernel tree to make
          CC available for ANY Linux distribution.

> 3. Roll back the cciug mailing list. Earlier version was far better
          > than today's one.

Yes, I strongly support this one. GNU Mailman rules!

Please, make that GNU make compatibility mode 100% (one hundred) compatible to
          the original. Just do it.

Bye...

Dirk

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Miner, Matthew <Matthew.Miner@misys.com> wrote:

Here's mine -

Make dynamic views work over a WAN.

Don't care whether the Fat Client gets improved, or the CCRC gets new
          function.

Dynamic views are, quite literally, the difference between 16 users and
          150 users, in my environment. And right now, those 134 users are at a
          disadvantage when they try to work outside the office (work-from-home,
          work-from-hotel).

Matthew Miner

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@online.de> wrote:

Am Dienstag, 21. April 2009 21:51:57 schrieb Rational ClearCase:

> 1. Realtime VOB replication feed instead of this batch oriented replication
          > stuff.

s/instead/in addition to/, please!

Batch replication is what makes replication to some of our partner sites even
          possible (we need to sync via FTP).

Bye...

Dirk

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@online.de> wrote:

Am Montag, 27. April 2009 14:50:53 schrieb Rational ClearCase:

> Please fix the SAMBA/ClearCase performance.

How?

Bye...

Dirk

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Kenneth Ölwing <Kenneth.Olwing@enea.com> wrote:

> > Please fix the SAMBA/ClearCase performance.
          >
          > How?

By supporting SMB2 (well, using a Samba version or something else that supports that protocol).

ken1

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Marc Towersap <marct22@yahoo.com> wrote:
          Just my 2 cents on your wishes (some of which i disagree)

Marc Towersap Sr. SCM Engineer
          --- On Fri, 5/1/09, Rational ClearCase <disadmin@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> From: Rational ClearCase <disadmin@us.ibm.com>
          > Subject: cciug Re: ONE WISH FOR CLEARCASE
          > To: cciug@lists.ca.ibm.com
          > Date: Friday, May 1, 2009, 2:59 PM
          > My wish:
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > First, many classical triggers should be directly
          > integrated in the ClearCase product. Evil twins should be
          > detected and recovered automatically, empty branches should
          > be avoided by default, checkin of identical versions of
          > directories should be avoided by default, removing of
          > checkedout elements, or of directory containing somewhere
          > checkedout elements should always be avoided by default, and
          > so on. All these problems should be filtered by default.

I'm not sure what you mean by recovering evil twins automatically. Are you talking of merging twins into a single element? That would be difficult, especially if they are ancient twins/triplets/quads/etc. And there are times when you really want to create an evil twin.

I can see why IBM/rational would punt on that one. But autodetect would be nice, where it'd quickly parse down the parent directory version tree hunting down for any pre-existing elements with that name on lnname, and at least warn you (version .@@/some/other/version already has that name).

I would normally agree with the prevention of identical dir checkins, but I've seen some companies that have identical directory versions (cleartool diff -pred are identical) but they have different metadata (attributes, non-merge-related hyperlinks, etc.) which make them different. As long as you can override what you wish, then I guess I don't have any real objection (kinda like how you have -identical for files), but for shops with scripts that rely on the behavior as it now is, it may be difficult, especially if they have extended clearcase and have implementations across multiple sites, where scripts and binaries have to be changed/deployed.
          > Second, don't make company pay a Multisite license if
          > they just work locally. Because of inter-vob hyperlink,
          > multisite licenses are consumed even when people don't
          > mean to use multisite. Make multisite license just free!

May as well wish ClearCase licenses were free too!

> Third, please provide a REAL way to use UCM in Multisite
          > with a subcontractor, owning only a part of the UCM
          > environment. IT JUST DOES NOT WORK. I would be very happy to
          > talk with you about this problem.
          >
          >
          >
          > Olivier

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Bygland, Brian <brian.bygland@boeing.com> wrote:

Usable documentation and examples for ClearCase Automation Library
          (CAL). What little documentation out there for CAL is very hard to
          understand when it comes to figuring out which properties and methods
          are used to do anything. There are no examples found anywhere in Google
          that actually make any sense to someone new to CAL (and Visual Basic).

Also for CAL, the exceptions all seem to use the same error number. I
          then have to parse the message to see what I need to do. It would be
          much easier if each error had its own number AND the error numbers were
          published somewhere. If we cannot have individual error numbers, at
          least publish the error messages so I don't have to deliberately cause
          an exception just to capture the resulting message.

Live Long & Prosper! Brian Bygland
          The Boeing Company - CATIA ClearCase Support

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@online.de> wrote:

Am Dienstag, 5. Mai 2009 20:59:40 schrieb Rational ClearCase:

> Support latest Samba version (security updates) in a timely manner.
          >
          > The version of samba that is being supported by IBM at present is 3.0.24
          > and it has a number of security concerns. Later versions of samba
          > (especially 3.3) has all of those security concerns taken care of but this
          > version is not supported by IBM clearcase.

I wrote it before, but maybe you missed it: "Not supported" doesn't imply
          "doesn't work". So if you want to use 3.3, what prevents you from doing so
          (given it works, of course)?

Bye...

Dirk
          On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Martina Riedel <martina.riedel@gmail.com> wrote:

yes, but when it is not "officially supported" IBM will not help you with issues; sometimes not even with issues that have nothing to do with Samba (if you are honest (or stupid) enough to tell them). For some companies that is a major hurdle, to the point of not considering Samba as an interop solution.

--
          Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
          IBM Business Partner
  • JamieDodger
    JamieDodger
    101 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-06T10:38:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Snapnamic views.

Work transparently with filesystem driver like dynamic views but become full snapshots as files are accessed and in the background. Transparently updates, or at least notifies update is available, via publish/subscribe notification method.

The idea of course is to give a new option to balancing the trade off between speed, latency, transparency, view creation time and so on.

If we're going for one-wishing, then snapnamics for me.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-12T20:38:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    If you are thinking - "So, What happens with the contribution/feedback I provide here" -

Our intent is to get the thread going , then collate this information (around Q3 time frame) , turn the info into RFEs (or attach to existing RFEs), using the IBM Rational RFE Community to drive priorities for future releases..

So, keep contributing :)
  • omalecot
    omalecot
    344 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-13T05:07:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    >>On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Marc Towersap <marct22@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > Second, don't make company pay a Multisite license if
    >> > they just work locally. Because of inter-vob hyperlink,
    >> > multisite licenses are consumed even when people don't
    >> > mean to use multisite. Make multisite license just free!

>> May as well wish ClearCase licenses were free too!

Maybe I was not clear enough: MS license may be consumed in some VOBs/PVOBs, even if VOBs/PVOBs are of local use only, and non-replicated.
    If it is not possible to limit the MS license use to the effectively replicated VOBs/PVOBs, if there is no technical solution, to make MS license free could be the solution.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-14T11:34:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    1. deliver better user documentation, like short HowTos for beginners
    reason: for beginners CC is too complex, so they try to avoid CC and go for SVN or others

2. support contractors (like me) in argumenting to convince customers/managers to use CC instead of SVN or others
    provide reference material about cost savings with CC/MS !!!!

3. reconsider your marketing strategy - make it cheaper !!!, especially include MultiSite for free !!
    reason: more and more I experience, that CC very often loses the race against SVN or other open source
    CM tools - just because of the license costs.

4. improve CC GUI on UNIX, include ALL cleartool functionality in CC GUI
    and provide better user documentation for that

so far for now - technical wishes coming soon

Cheers
    Uwe

--
    Dipl. Inform. Uwe Satthoff
    ( jcp@comasy.de )
    currently consultant @ Airbus
    ( Uwe.Satthoff@airbus.com )
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-21T10:00:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    ONE THING : Recursive Add-To-Source-Control feature in the normal CC client as well, just like it is available in CCRC 7.1

POSITIVE IMPACT : This will make it easier for CC users to add files under CC without the hassle of doing an import.
    • barua_zonee
      barua_zonee
      58 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-05-21T11:22:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      It is good to get fulfilled this wish which will make the life quite easier. BUT i do not think that we requires "recursive add to source control" as if you are working with Clearcase on daily basis then all the files can be added on one/two day basis and there wiil be no need to do a recursive check-in. Still if you require this you can perform an operation from Windows(discussed earlier) which results in recursive check-ins.
      Since we(i with my team) are using clearcase on daily basis and do not require this operation at urgent....

May cc-developers provide this to make life easier..!!!!!!!!!
      thanks,
      barua-zonee
  • cm@heart
    cm@heart
    418 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-02T17:06:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    1.Improve documentation.It just does not seem to flow easy especially for beginners.
    2.Surprisingly no one mentioned anything about view privates.So many times I have had users looking for their view privates after deleting them.If the user deletes view private from the CC explorer,its gone! I think it should end up in the recycle bin or in the containers.
    3. I'm not sure how CC/CQ measures against 508 standards. There does not seem to be any documentation on it.

Regards
    Henna
    • judyB
      judyB
      28 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-02T23:31:48Z  in response to cm@heart
      Another wish: Something to facilitate our code review process in CCRC. To get diffs, developers
      • Use the CC Metadata Navigator Explorer to browse to the stream and activity for which they need to review changes
      • Right click the activity, select properties, and go to the Change Set tab
      • Make a list of all versions in the change set
      • Go back to a view, browse to each file, right click and Show Version Tree from the Tools menu
      • Select the element version, right click, and Diff with Predecessor
      Because we review code prior to delivery this requires an extra view if new files have been added
      • martina
        martina
        1025 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-10T16:50:41Z  in response to judyB
        email copy service for Raj... (btw. I hunted down dome "responsible people" at RSC and the word is that they are working on a fix - famous last words).

Does anybody know how to mak ethis thread sticky?

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@online.de> wrote:

Hi,

here's another one from me:

Let clearmake use md5/sha1/whatever checksums for all objects it uses or
        creates. Could save LOTS of unneeded rebuilds, for example in case of
        whitespace/comment changes only. Currently clearmake will even rebuild stuff
        after only checking in a source file (->version mismatch).

Sample scenarios

1) Check out foo.c, rebuild, check in, build again -> version mismatch :-(

2) Build stuff, change a comment in foo.c, build again -> will compile, then
        link again; BAD, could have stopped after compile, because resulting object
        file is identical to previous one.

Bye...

Dirk
        • batna
          batna
          16 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-11T05:13:07Z  in response to martina
          Hi

It would be good if we have a better utility for checking the size consumed by elements rather than space which gives size of just one version. It would be of much use if we can get actual size consumed by directories recursively(including all sub-dirs & sub-folders). When a vob gets really big we need to know which part of it is actually huge.

something like size of vob (ct space <vob-tag) size should match the sum of sizes of the directories in it.

This would simplify our life if there is any vob split required.

Regards
          Batna
          • JamieDodger
            JamieDodger
            101 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-11T09:04:44Z  in response to batna
            If a vob split is required for performance reasons, then this should be transparent, handled automatically by the system. The VOB should be the conceptual group of related stuff, you should be able to choose it independent of the implementation concerns. If it needs a split for space/speed etc, the system should handle this. Likewise for load balancing across machines. Same thing for vob reformatting. If there is a lot of fragmentation, it should sort it out itself. A product like this can add value by raising the abstraction level, not just make it easier to tune up under the hood.
            • JamieDodger
              JamieDodger
              101 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-11T10:42:39Z  in response to JamieDodger
              Can we have googleable error messages please. Preferably something that will then go to an IBM page with an explanation, perhaps a video, training materials etc, explaining the situation. Example:

cleartool: Warning: VOB updated, but view update of uncheckout of ... failed: error detected by ClearCase subsystem

If it said something like this:

cleartool: Warning: CLEARCASE-VUF021A: VOB updated, but view update.....

And googling for the thing returned a page at IBM explaining this is because you had permission to check in a file, but not remove the view private file, and it leaves behind an eclipse, and what to do about it. That would be much much better than "error detected by ClearCase subsystem" which just scares people and is not specific enough to be searchable.
              Or even if it said: "For more information search for error code 'CCASE-3158'"
              How much time could be saved?
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                47293 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-11T23:44:44Z  in response to JamieDodger
                UCM - Clear history capabaility!
                (or maybe I just don't know how.)
                We've been using CC for years and have versions and baselines that are totally obsolete. I had hoped that by moving to Full CC we could do something about it. No such luck. Every senior Rational CC person I talk to about it just shudders and tries to change the subject.
                We have a lot of garbage out there that, if removed, would incredibly speed up performance and size of vobs.

Easy UI fix: Make baseline creation default to Full instead of Incremental. (or give us a switch). Lots of dev streams and deliveries, and you can't rebase against an incremental.

Kathy Kopczynski
                • martina
                  martina
                  1025 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-12T15:44:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Kathy,
                  do you use "lock -obsolete" for the obsolete stuff? It should help in some areas.

Martina
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    47293 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-23T00:23:40Z  in response to martina
                    Hi Martina,

We lock-obsolete activities after deliveries, and occasionally lock-obsolete streams. The problem is that you would have to lock-obsolete every flipping branch, from what I understand, to make a difference on the Version Tree.

Dunno whether that would help with performance, though.

Kathy
            • batna
              batna
              16 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-15T12:38:19Z  in response to JamieDodger
              When you have a vob of 130 Gb with various branches and bigger hierarchies ,And when you cannot find the whole source code(hierarchy) in any of the branch you ll face the real issue of splitting vob and estimating their sizes.
              Instead if we could have something like space command which gives relavant info for directories. It would be required for even normal users for estimating the size and take up an alarm and acting for not increasing the vob space dangerously high.

Regards
              Batna
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-17T00:58:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I agree with the wish to have more organized documentation. The differences between version 7.0x and 7.1 are dramatic, and yet much of the documentation states that it is valid for 7.0.x and older... which is no longer valid. And the comments that the docs you do have link to other docs, which has you jumping all over the place. It needs to be organized in book fashion.... as if you were to hand me the docs hardcopy.

Also, agree with being more punctual with supporting newer samba version. That causes me a lot of hardship.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-24T07:21:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    One branch development across MultiSite regions on a need basis.
    That means, keep the existing MultiSite default behaviour of each site has to work on its own branch and then merge changes.

But also provide the possibility to configure for one or more VOBs that users accessing different replicas
    ate different sites, can work on just one branch.

This is needed when you wish to reduce the trouble of going through an "integration" manager, who has to merge the changes.

Currently, we have setup multiple triggers that transfer the mastership to the different replicas based on set time schedules.
    Even though it works pretty OK, it is still error prone.

Regards

Sriram
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-24T08:29:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Siram:
      > One branch development across MultiSite regions on a need basis.

Beware what you are asking for.
      This means pessimistic locking for synchronization (or that the speed of light would be infinite).
      It means transaction windows of hours (or days, or weeks).

Try to dig up what your problem exactly is, and what is causing it.
      You'll notice that the simple solution is to stop hardcoding the role of certain branches in the process.
      I obviously mean the integration branches, or main branches, at all levels.

Publish in place by using labels, and restrict merging to 'home' merges, i.e. merges towards the branches
      you master, and the clouds in your sky will clear up.

Remember that labels can be aliased (different labels pointing to the same versions), but branches cannot.

Marc
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-07-23T22:34:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Users should be able to select a version to use in the config spec through the version tree. That is, right-clicking a version in the tree should include a "Use" option that would add the appropriate "element /VOB/path /main/version" line to the top of the config spec. An additional icon could be used in the version tree to identify these overrides with the option to clear them.
  • blackmamba
    blackmamba
    18 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-07-31T08:56:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

First of all i thank for such a good comunity and also for the huge number of participations.

I hope updating all the current configuration related technote required for huge environment will help many customers.
    For example:- whether heap settings required while moving from Windows 2000+clearcase V X.X.X.X to 2003+clearcase V X.X.X.X

Also why can't we have a concept like default clearcase tiggers with user friendly (This by taking a suggestions from all the users).

once again thanks for giving an opportunity.

Raj
  • Gretchen
    Gretchen
    43 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-04T19:14:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Multi-select in cchostadmin for view deletion.

If I can't have that, at least don't make cchostadmin scroll back up to the top of the list of views after every view deletion. If you could eliminate some of the sixty five dialog boxes that display as you delete each view that would save a lot of time. Ok, so there's only about ten but seriously. Give me a checkbox that says I'm busy whacking these views just do it.

We have developer turn over here all the time. Developers NEVER remove their views before they leave their jobs for greener pastures. The hardware guys come up and remove the abandoned PC's under the cover of darkness. At least I think they are hardware guys and not PC gnomes. In either case I never have access to remove the views properly.

I've deleted thirty views already today and I've got another fifty to remove this afternoon. That's eighty views I have to remove today for just two guys.

I know I should be using the command line to do this but, I've had frequent problems with the command line not removing everything cleanly and so I've taken to using the gui.

The gui is just miserable for this task but it does cleanly remove all traces of the views from view storage etc.

What positive impact? It would keep me from climbing to the top of the building to throw myself off. (Note: literary use of exaggeration here - no need to call out the ClearCase Administrator intervention squad.)

Gretchen Jones
    • martina
      martina
      1025 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: [cciug] Re: ONE WISH FOR CLEARCASE

‏2009-08-04T19:39:27Z  in response to Gretchen
      This one made me smile.
      Attached is a perl script that used to work for me and clean up this
      stuff. It should work with a current ccperl. Much easier than the 10
      clicks per view. Maybe run in debig mode first, no warranties etc.
      etc.
      The CMD shell is your friend (at least it is mine).
      I always started with a lsview and saved and sorted that output and
      made the list of what needs to be deleted form there.
      Hopefully the attachment will make it to the forum.

Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
      IBM Business Partner

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Rational ClearCase<disadmin@us.ibm.com> wrote:
      > Multi-select in cchostadmin for view deletion.
      >
      >
      > The gui is just miserable for this task but it does cleanly remove all traces of the views from view storage etc.
      >
      >
      >
      > What positive impact?  It would keep me from climbing to the top of the building to throw myself off.  (Note: literary use of exaggeration here  - no need to call out the ClearCase Administrator intervention squad.)
      >
      >
      >
      > Gretchen Jones
      >
      http://blast_view.pl
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-04T21:15:59Z  in response to Gretchen
      Script it. Here's mine (for Windows).

So, take your list of views to delete, and make a new script from them:
      call cleanview -f view1
      call cleanview -f view2
      Here's cleanview.cmd:

if "%1" NEQ "/?" goto NoHelp
      :Help
      @Echo Remove Clearcase views assuming that the view name is known AND
      @Echo the view does not really exist.
      @Echo.
      @Echo NOTE: If the view exists, it can be more easily, and more
      correctly,
      @Echo deleted via the rmview command (either from the cleartool util, or
      @Echo the ClearCase Explorer), instead of via this utility.
      @Echo.
      @Echo ClearTool lsview -long view-tag-name
      @echo will provide the UUID.
      @echo.
      @echo Usage: %0 [/F] View-Tag-Name
      @echo Example: %0 mjm_latest_view
      @echo.
      @echo /F forces the removal of the view.
      @echo It seems that some views are "accessible", but still won't go
      @echo away via the ClearCase Explorer. Try /F in these cases.
      @goto :EOF
      :NoHelp
      @if .%1 EQU .-? goto Help
      @if /I .%1 EQU ./h goto Help
      @if /I .%1 EQU .-h goto Help
      @if /I .%1 EQU ./help goto Help
      @if /I .%1 EQU .-help goto Help

set FORCE=N
      if /I .%1 NEQ ./F goto :NoForce
      :HaveTheForce
      set FORCE=Y
      shift
      goto :UseTheForce
      :NoForce
      if /I .%1 EQU .-F goto :HaveTheForce
      :UseTheForce
      @set ViewTag=%1

ClearTool lsview -l %ViewTag%
      @if %ErrorLevel% EQU 0 goto :ViewExists
      @echo lsview for %ViewTag% failed. Bye.
      @if %FORCE% NEQ Y goto :EOF
      :ViewExists

@Rem ignore the leading '*', if present.
      @for /F "tokens=2 delims=* " %%v in ('ClearTool lsview %ViewTag%') do
      set ViewPath=%%v
      @dir %ViewPath% > NUL
      @if %ErrorLevel% EQU 0 (
      echo View %ViewTag% appears to exist and be accessible. Please remove
      via CC explorer.
      if %FORCE% NEQ Y goto :EOF
      )

@set UUID=
      for /F "tokens=3" %%v in ('ClearTool lsview -l %ViewTag% ^| grep -q1
      "View uuid:"' ) do @set UUID=%%v

@if %FORCE% EQU Y goto :Continue
      @if .%LastUUID% EQU .%UUID% goto :Continue
      @set LastUUID=%UUID%
      @echo If this is the View you want to remove, rerun this command
      (e.g., uparrow, enter).
      @goto :EOF
      :Continue

ClearTool rmview -all -uuid %UUID%
      @if %ErrorLevel% NEQ 0 (
      echo Return code %ErrorLevel% from ClearTool rmview. %0 aborted.
      )

ClearTool unreg -view -uuid %UUID%
      @if %ErrorLevel% NEQ 0 (
      echo Return code %ErrorLevel% from ClearTool unreg. %0 aborted.
      )

ClearTool rmtag -view %ViewTag%
      @if %ErrorLevel% NEQ 0 (
      echo Return code %ErrorLevel% from ClearTool rmtag. %0 aborted.
      )
      Hope it helps.

Matthew Miner

> -----Original Message-----
      > From: cciug-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
      > mailto:cciug-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com On Behalf Of Rational
      > ClearCase
      > Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 3:15 PM
      >
      > Multi-select in cchostadmin for view deletion.
      >
      >
      >
      > If I can't have that, at least don't make cchostadmin scroll
      > back up to the top of the list of views after every view
      > deletion. If you could eliminate some of the sixty five
      > dialog boxes that display as you delete each view that would
      > save a lot of time. Ok, so there's only about ten but
      > seriously. Give me a checkbox that says I'm busy whacking
      > these views just do it.
      >
      >
      >
      > We have developer turn over here all the time. Developers
      > NEVER remove their views before they leave their jobs for
      > greener pastures. The hardware guys come up and remove the
      > abandoned PC's under the cover of darkness. At least I think
      > they are hardware guys and not PC gnomes. In either case I
      > never have access to remove the views properly.
      >
      >
      >
      > I've deleted thirty views already today and I've got another
      > fifty to remove this afternoon. That's eighty views I have
      > to remove today for just two guys.
      >
      >
      >
      > I know I should be using the command line to do this but,
      > I've had frequent problems with the command line not removing
      > everything cleanly and so I've taken to using the gui.
      >
      >
      >
      > The gui is just miserable for this task but it does cleanly
      > remove all traces of the views from view storage etc.
      >
      >
      >
      > What positive impact? It would keep me from climbing to the
      > top of the building to throw myself off. (Note: literary use
      > of exaggeration here - no need to call out the ClearCase
      > Administrator intervention squad.)
      >
      >
      >
      > Gretchen Jones
      >
      "Misys" is the trade name for Misys plc (registered in England and Wales). Registration Number: 01360027. Registered office: One Kingdom Street, London W2 6BL, United Kingdom. For a list of Misys group operating companies please go to http://www.misys.com/corp/About_Us/misys_operating_companies.html. This email and any attachments have been scanned for known viruses using multiple scanners. This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the named recipient of this email please notify us immediately and do not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. This email does not constitute the commencement of legal relations between you and Misys plc. Please refer to the executed contract between you and the relevant member of the Misys group for the identity of the contracting party with which you are dealing.

• BigBlueSmurf
    BigBlueSmurf
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-05T18:13:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I would like a simple way for a ClearCase Explorer user to search a view for view-private files. Sometimes I want to write code for a possible solution without committing any of it to source control. When I subsequently decide to add the new code, I'd like to be able to search quickly for the view-private files.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-05T18:36:07Z  in response to BigBlueSmurf
      ct man lsprivate

(note a few paragraphs down about the alternate command for use in a
      snapshot view).

Matthew Miner
      > -----Original Message-----
      > From: cciug-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
      > mailto:cciug-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com On Behalf Of Rational
      > ClearCase
      > Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 2:13 PM
      >
      > I would like a simple way for a ClearCase Explorer user to
      > search a view for view-private files. Sometimes I want to
      > write code for a possible solution without committing any of
      > it to source control. When I subsequently decide to add the
      > new code, I'd like to be able to search quickly for the
      > view-private files.
      >
      "Misys" is the trade name for Misys plc (registered in England and Wales). Registration Number: 01360027. Registered office: One Kingdom Street, London W2 6BL, United Kingdom. For a list of Misys group operating companies please go to http://www.misys.com/corp/About_Us/misys_operating_companies.html. This email and any attachments have been scanned for known viruses using multiple scanners. This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the named recipient of this email please notify us immediately and do not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. This email does not constitute the commencement of legal relations between you and Misys plc. Please refer to the executed contract between you and the relevant member of the Misys group for the identity of the contracting party with which you are dealing.

• SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        47293 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: [cciug] Re: ONE WISH FOR CLEARCASE

‏2009-08-06T15:43:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Use "Enterprise glasses" when implementing/reviewing/documenting
        anything to do with installation. And/or have a senior person with the
        "big picture view" review solutions early enough so things can be
        changed if there is a serious flaw.

Latest point in case is fixpack 7.1.0.2; The win install needs
        ClearCase stopped. That's ok.
        But the install does not proceed until the user manually stops it. It
        does all kind of cool checks to enforce that. This breaks any silent
        install.
        What should have been done is stopping the services from the installer
        and then do the check and moan or error out if the stop didn't
        succeed. The developer would have to be aware of technote
        http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21134178. (which
        still doesn't say that it applies to CC 7.1)
        Why this info still is only in a tech note and not in the
        documentation is yet another interesting question.

So I guess another request would be to roll "ever green" tech notes
        into the documentation.
        and a 3rd request would be to go through the tech notes and review
        whether they apply to 7.1 and update where applicable.

Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
        IBM Business Partner
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-19T18:48:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    2 & 3 level integration streams with old style config specs. E.g. Product Validation & Release, Project Integration, Fix/user specific development streams. Currently only items on the parent stream are visible, and you may need to see things that are not part of the current project. In an environment with many projects on a long term basis for a product or products you get degenerate extended path names real fast. Inter-stream deliveries are a pain.
  • JackSuss
    JackSuss
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-11T03:11:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Probably a bit late, but gosh, where do i start?

Here's one for every year I've worked with ClearCase:

Dynamic views working under CCRC
    I second the common triggers incorporated into code -evil twins in particular
    Under clearcase context sensitive menu add "List view privates" and recursively add to source control
    Ability to use subfolders in vobs and convert them into UCM components
    Make Baseline GUI - add ID number of activities and allow sorting (Big one for me)
    Wizard for creating UCM project - don't default integration branch name to Projectname_Integration - try ending in int instead
    Sort out deliver defect with directories with large number of files blowing out string file in DB (very nasty)
    Relocating elements between components - no excuses, just do it
    Color code file elements vs view private files in windows explorer
    Help Messages are far to cruel to the users -even I struggle interpreting them sometimes

Must be more, but feeling sore...
    Best Regards,

Jack
    • JackSuss
      JackSuss
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-11T03:15:40Z  in response to JackSuss
      Sorry, one more...

Allow a flag on projects which isolate activities -i.e. if you have two dependant activities you want to deliver - just deliver the dependant version of the activity you're delivering - not the complete changeset for the other dependant activity(s).

I know, in theory this seems to be wrong, but I am finding we're having less and less control of the files being generated by IDEs, and this deficiency is particulary harmful. And no, users are not interested in doing a find merge or jumping out into the commandline.

Best Regards,

Jack
      • martina
        martina
        1025 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-15T15:43:09Z  in response to JackSuss
        reposting missing email post
        ----

from Dirk Heinrichs
        date Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Am Freitag 11 September 2009 05:11:45 schrieb Rational ClearCase:

> Probably a bit late, but gosh, where do i start?

Well, I also have another one which just came to my mind yesterday:

There's a bashcc package out there on the net providing tab completion for all
        clear-/multitool commands. I'd like to have something similar (or even better)
        for zsh.

Bye...

Dirk
  • topman
    topman
    64 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-12-08T10:11:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Agree with a lot of what has already been proposed - especially the comments about recursive operations.

I'd also like to see :

An option to allow auto-deletion of contrib files.
    Something to prevent VOB corruption when housekeeping lost+found - e.g. only allow rmelem of top level lost+found elements
    Better information which allow me to see whether its worth applying a fix pack - e.g. when looking at the release notes for fixpack 5 it should show you the changes between 1 and 2, 2 and 3 etc.
    Make it easier to cut and paste from some of the UCM GUI screens.
    IBM to test their software more before releasing it.
  • maisacious
    maisacious
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-12-10T20:15:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I wish that when you move a view you didn't have to then check out and uncheckout a file in every VOB that holds references to it to update the VOBs notion of where the view is. The location is in the registry for pete's sake. Having to checkout a file in every VOB gets particularly difficult in a UCM situation where an activity is required for each checkout. If you don't perform the checkout then derived object promotion fails, build times are affected, etc. This has been in the product forever and it's terribly annoying.
  • StevenK
    StevenK
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-12-20T15:07:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    One Wish for ClearCase

I have broken these down to the CC release I first wished for fix/feature.
    Sorry for the length, I got inspired by the other great entries.
    0.9 Provide trigger type error in addition to pre and post.
    (Or some way to clean up from "locks" set in pre trigger)

When a update action in some other system needs to happen during
    a CC operation the Pre-op trigger validates and locks the other
    system resources and the post commits update and unlocks UNLESS
    the CC operation fails. The either a batch/watchdog has to clear
    the operation OR/and the next Pre-op trigger has to recover. Note
    that the next Pre-op can be a different user at a different site,
    VERY painful recovery.

1.0 Provide a means for triggers to set and retrieve information specific
    to trigger session. Perhaps a tool that can be run from a trigger that
    sets something in the OS environment of the CC client callng the trigger.
    A specific client session based repository with set and get would also
    work but the client would need to make sure the repository is clean
    for each session.

1.1 Triggers for non-vob operations.
    This is not as hard as it sounds. With the region tag now in the CC rgy
    simply adding a optional VOB tag for each region would allow a storage
    repository for the clearcase clients to check. Yes this is possibly 2
    RPC calls but the benefits are greater then the costs.

2.0 Some way to make global changes in VOB and View registry.
    (Here because of the massive rgy changes in 2.0)
    When the host name of a view store or the share/mount of a VOB store
    changes there should be some better way then stopping CC on the RGY
    server and editing the tag/object files. Or running thousands of -replace
    operations.

2.1 Address Evil Twins (see other posts)
    (Here due to workable Multi-Site in this release that forced the use of
    branches and let evil twins rule.)

3.0 Pay attention to technical issues.
    Note that 3.0 was a revenue enhancement release that had almost
    NO functions but provided support for Revenue Enhancements like
    Clear Track and Clear Guide. The technical issues started with
    this release. They got so bad that the No. 1 enhancement in 7.0
    was "Bugs Fixed". ClearCase is a technical solution to SCM. I wish
    that it would retain that focus while addressing the SCM market
    3.1 Better support for Windows/Unix interop
    Access control lists are a start (rumored for a future release, dump
    changes to VOB DB made in 7.1 for more info.)
    Forcing the VOB owner to be on the VOB server helps but there are still
    to many operations the ANYBODY with local PC admin can do to corrupt
    repository. Better Samba support. MD5 password support (See VAS support).
    BTW the code for MD5 password support in addition to shar is in the Apache
    password utility and it has a BSD license.
    If I had a nickel for every time "ClearCase has a problem" in an interop
    environment when the issue was DNS, Samba, LDAP, ... After 10 years this
    is still a fragile environment for ClearCase operation.

3.2 Multi-Site Clan support (ala CQ)
    Some way a identify and manage Admin/Project VOB and the "component"
    associated VOBs. Yes current MS is better but can still be improved.

3.3 Follow good SCM practices in release of versions. (This is about release
    management not development practices.)
    This is associated with CC 3.3 as it had 3 different release CDs labeled
    CC 3.3 with the same part number and different contents! The 1st CD had
    bad code, the 2nd was for the secondary platforms, and the 3ed had primary
    platform fixed code WITH THE SAME PART NUMBER! I was told it cost to much
    to update the documentation if the numbers were different but I could
    never get the cost estimate of customer costs and the increase call center
    issue costs.

There have been issues with almost every follow on release.

What is Rel 6? 6.0? 6.0.13? 6.0.14 (or .15)? This is important when trying
    to associate features with a release. A better practice would have been
    to call the later releases 6.1 (CCRC support being a major feature released
    as part of a "patch" release.)

The need for CCRC server and client to be upgraded started with 7.0. And
    continues with 7.1.0, 7.1.0.2 and 7.1.1. The expense of masive upgrades
    is costly. Even more costly when I needed to roll back to 7.0.0.0 due to
    broken UCM (See Baseline Alert for partial description of problem, mkbl
    -import still broken in 7.1.0.2).

With 7.1.1 there is confusion about online doc (if 7.1.0 refers to 7.1.1
    where is the 7.1.0 doc) and full or upgrade questions.
    Here is my 7.1.1 upgrade experience.
    I had a windows system at IM 1.3.2 and CC 7.1.0.2 with a CM server.
    I added the 7.1.1 CC and CCRC repository and feature sites to IM preferences.
    IM 1.3.2 would not auto upgrade to 1.3.3 even with correct preferences set.
    Download IM 1.3.3 and installed.
    Tried to upgrade but some portion of CM server runs under svchost.exe.
    IM kept asking me to stop lass.exe (would kill system) and svchost.exe
    (which of 8 instances I am not sure).
    De-installed CM server.
    Upgraded to 7.1.1 (no passport account required.)
    Re-installed CM server.
    Brought up CCRC client and opened a view on local system.
    Received "activities in the UCM stream for this view ... cannot be
    accessed...."
    (Unreported issue at this time.)
    Created local UCM and Component VOB, that works.
    Unable to find any notice in release notes the VOB server is required
    to be upgraded before CCRC server.

This was such a simple test. For me this is one more release broken
    "out of the box" due to bad SCM practices.
    4.0 Simple things like a repeated clearfsimport of a 0 length file sould work.
    The fact that these functions which are not run very often remain un-fixed
    for many releases is painful. Why bother to report the problem if it is not
    going to be addressed?
    Why not have a -groups option on mkvob. Many shops use a single ID in
    multiple groups to admin CC. So you get in right group and create VOB then
    find a OS admin to delete unwanted groups. A -group option would eliminate
    that. Also a no OS admin rights are needed to actualy delete the groups
    at that point (umount VOB, stop VOB process, remove files from .ident,
    remount VOB) why is OS Admin (root) always required for protectvob?

Specific clearfsimport issue. A 0 length file import causes a /main/0
    version to be created with today's date. Now as the content is the same
    the imported file the /main/1 version is not created with the date of
    the 0 length file. Both a code fix as well a flag to force a new version
    if content is the same but dates are different are needed.

Perhaps some of the functions that are not run very often are so difficult
    (read buggie) to run that alternatives are developed. If these issues were
    addressed perhaps the frequency would also increase. The clearfsimport
    tool is a great way to quickly bring in code versions maintained by 3ed
    party but not when additional manual effort is required to fix CC issues.

BTW my number 2 clearfsimport is files with lines longer then 8000 bytes.
    5.0 Linux (and MacOS) support. Client vs Server support.
    This is improving. MacOS 64 bit support (but no 64 bit for windows?)
    Yes I understand QA and support costs but I wonder how many different
    Linux (and BSD) distros I could get the CCRC client to run on.
    The open source of MVFS for Linux is great. The Solaris MVFS also has
    issues. I know of a site that turns down the MVFS performance to get to
    the multi-thread view support ASAP.
    The CC performance number, 0 for less then 32 MB memory, 1 for 32-64mb, ...
    5 if you have 512mb. When was the last time you saw a development OS that
    did not have at least 512MB memory. The default is based on 32mb of memory.

6.??? Support arrangements (guess why I picked this release?)
    As a consultant with some CC experience (and SVN, P4, Mercurial, CQ,
    Bugzilla ...) I am moving between many IBM accounts. Each time I have to
    start over with CC support. I have actually looked into spending the $2-5k
    just to have a more permanent support identity. With a recent issue
    regarding CCRC explicit group support I sent complete notes and traces
    in the initial report. Note that based on past experience I already had
    a work around which I also included. Additional test cases and doc were
    sent when requested BUT when asked to test CMD line/GUI on Unix and Windows
    (~250 test cases) to doc expected behavior I said no. After getting the case
    escalated with region I was asked for additional information that was included
    in initial report! I can remember before I was a consultant the I sent
    an email to Beth and got a call back from Europe. Even though this is
    a new CC shop there should be some way to document CC experience.
    BTW when I finaly (after 8 weeks) got to talk with deveopment they were
    starting to look at the CCRC group spec issue and found the input helpful.

IF there was a way to document experience level by individual, irrespective
    of current site, both the responsiveness to issues would increase and the
    cost to IBM support would decrease.

7.0 When am I going to get what. The release date revisions of 7.0 has been
    "enhanced" to no advance notice of features and dates of 7.1.1.
    Almost every CC user knows about software delivery plans and delays.
    Consider at least something that is closer to what is at jazz.net.
    This "blog" is a good start but more would be better. The comments
    here actually prompted me to stop being quiet.

7.0.1 Better support for UCM in CCRC.
    - An option on setting the initial load rules based the component
    VOB directories in the UCM project. Its alright to do a select
    by expansion for base CC but for UCM the VOB directories of the
    components are a better starting point.
    - Base CCRC functions on documentation. With out CQ enabled an Activity that
    is locked obsolete is documented as not showing in an Activity list
    unless requested. (Also true for other Objects such as branches, labels
    and streams.)
    What is the CCRC support for groups? I can find no CCRC doc on expected
    behavior. I can specify the primary OS group explicitly in the additional
    groups and not have it show up in the view group list! Maybe publicly
    listing the test cases for released functions and inviting comments
    would help with testing.
    - Baseline Reports. What are the Activities between 2 Baselines? Drill
    down to contrib and versions. Allow export of information to files.
    This information is NEEDED to support build and release roles using CCRC.

7.1.0.2 How can the ClearCase community help?
    Quick review of 7.1.0.2.
    A CCRC client upgrade (in some cases automatic) can not talk to older
    (7.1.0) server.
    A set of changes in 7.1.0.2 (and 7.1.0.1) to mkbl broke UCM baselines.
    In most cases this can be addressed by running ALL ClearCase systems
    at 7.1.0.2 (note that mkbl -import is broken run run on a 7.1.0.2 system
    with local VOB and view, fix pending in 7.1.1).

Current status, 7.1.0.2 mostly works for UCM. If there is a problem
    you need to manually detect and fix the UCM baselines. The is a documented
    process available from support to fix up problem but no document on
    automated detect. Alert was issued. Problem to be addressed in 7.1.1.

Issues:
    1. Communicate from CC community that whole sale upgrades of install base
    is NOT an option. It is even worse when you then have to down grade
    everything to 7.1.0.0 to get UCM to work! The costs to the CC community
    to support this practice is MUCH greater then the cost to IBM to
    implement a graceful migration. It would be better to see "Creating
    a Baseline is with current combination of ClearCase versions" and having
    to work around partial upgrades.

2. ClearCase components need to be changed to detect invalid ClearCase
    version config and fail command in the "pre" state. The RPC protocol has
    a version for this use. If the CCRC protocol does not please address
    AT THE NEXT MAJOR RELEASE BOUNDARY (not with a fix release). A CC client
    at the 7.1.0.2 level should fail if the server is not at the level to
    support the function.
    (Note that in the 7.1.1 CCRC client the message about unable to display
    Activity information from a 7.1.0.0 VOB server should report the
    version config error, not that the VOB is offline).
    The ClearCase community needs to communicate to IBM in a united voice
    about the costs of this ClearCase before management communicates the
    $$$ to other options.

3. The ClearCase community needs to do a better job of working with
    IBM. In today's market the demand for continued features and support
    is greater then the ability to support. Maybe its time for the
    question what is the One thing to get rid of in ClearCase because
    we don't need it. Or I wish I had this feature fix because it costs
    me $$$ not to have or would save me $$$.
    OK that is my "One" wish.
  • Yogesh_Bhat
    Yogesh_Bhat
    22 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-27T08:29:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    1. Provide an option to view file version dependencies in two or more dependent activities.
    2. In preop trigger of all object creation (mkstream, mkbl, mkbrtype, mkactivity etc) in ClearCase base and UCM, provide name of the object in respective environment variable.
    3. In mkbl propration, set some environment variable to identify if "edit baseline dependencies" is being done using GUI or commandline (-adendents_on or -ddpendents_on used in cleartool mkbl). This helps to restrict "edit baseline dependency" for only few users in UCM project.
  • bmairpad
    bmairpad
    39 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-29T11:50:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Gretchen Jones,

I thought I will share a GUI solution for the view deletion problem you are facing.
    How about Removing the view from Clear Home Base?
    Here we can select multiple views and remove them and you don't need to knock off dialog boxes one after the other.
    This saves a lot of time for me...

mailto:cciug-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com On Behalf Of Rational
    ClearCase
    Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 3:15 PM
    To: cciug@lists.ca.ibm.com
    Subject: cciug Re: ONE WISH FOR CLEARCASE

Multi-select in cchostadmin for view deletion.

If I can't have that, at least don't make cchostadmin scroll
    back up to the top of the list of views after every view
    deletion. If you could eliminate some of the sixty five
    dialog boxes that display as you delete each view that would
    save a lot of time. Ok, so there's only about ten but
    seriously. Give me a checkbox that says I'm busy whacking
    these views just do it.

Gretchen Jones

Regards,
    Bharath
  • Peter_Lai_Ric
    Peter_Lai_Ric
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-08T11:35:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    A small thing, but a real pain in the arse for me.

Ability to re-size the window and sort the activities list when creating a baseline

A big thing, but would be really useful
    When a dependencies is found, some kind of tool to highlight the file or directory causing the dependency.

And more java triggers will be nice, all the triggers on the net is in perl. I.e. the evil twin trigger i just had to rewrite in java.
    • Peter_Lai_Ric
      Peter_Lai_Ric
      14 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-08T11:42:39Z  in response to Peter_Lai_Ric
      What's all this talk about triggers needing updating? it's fine, if you want to log system env data then write it into your trigger.

i.e. stick a mysql db somewhere and in the trigger pull out all the system env info and put that into the db as log then run the trigger and update the record with the result.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-26T15:08:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Lower your prices.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-26T16:18:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      We've introduced initial fixed term license at half the cost.
      check out :
      1.https://www-112.ibm.com/software/howtobuy/buyingtools/paexpress/Express?P0=E1&part_number=D5315LL,D0BH1LL,D0BH2LL&catalogLocale=en_US&locale=en_US&country=USA&PT=html

2.http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/passportadvantage/about_software_licensing.html
  • sato844
    sato844
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-04T06:32:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    In my office, we have used ClearCase for about 15 years.
    Now the version tree gets very huge and takes several minutes to appear lsvtree.
    I'm wondering if we can give the target version and range of generations to be displayed.
    I know, in text mode of lsvtree, we can specify the base branch in some options but I cannot understand why not in the gui mode...

If Then version tree only shows the target verion in the center of xlsvtree window and only displays the generations specified by user, its much better.
    1. I know this will not improve the pereformance but....
  • spland
    spland
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-31T18:36:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Fix the dang IBM web site.

1) Links broken.
    2) Difficult to find stuff
    3) Documentation page does not contain ClearCase documents. Instead you need link to Information Center. Why even have a Documentation page if you can't find product documentation.
    4) Patch downloads and full installation reside in two totally different sites. The download patch are doesn;t event give a link to where you can get the full product installs.
    5) Need to drill down too many levels of pages to get to the info you need.
    6) Knowlege base has been uselees since IBM aquisition. ClearCase is extremly difficult to support to begin with, and with no good knowlege base... well this really hurts your customer base.
    7) Some pages are redundant.
    8) Navigation is a nightmare.
    9) It's a very pretty web site, but it's not a very well thought out or functional. Some issues are easier to find on google than on the IBM web site.

It's a very painful experience whenever visiting the IBM web site.
  • Bill.Chaplin
    Bill.Chaplin
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-22T23:22:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    judyB wrote:
    I would like to see an improvement in the performance of CCRC accross a WAN. Improved performance would increase productivity, and allow us to make better use of resources, who are not all local to the repository site.

This could be a big win for us as we move more and more to the CCRC as
    • the frequency and number of developers working from home is increasing
    • we are consolidating some of our smaller development sites to be more efficient

It's very valuable, Thanks for your instruction! It is exactly what I need.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-10T08:24:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    One whish from my side : having a tool set to be able to access directly to RAIMA database.

Indeed this could be helpfull in case of big Vob to reduce time during quieries.

Cheers

Patrice
  • JoseManuelMolina
    JoseManuelMolina
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-11T08:28:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

I'm a heavy user of CCRC and I'm "suffering" an issue that could be easily (or so I think) solved.

I have my CCRC views in an external hard drive, sometimes I forgot to plug it before I start CCRC and when it does not found the views it simply quits them from the CCRC environment.
    The available procedure to put them back is very annoying when you have more than two or three of them (right now I have around 20), you have to go one by one.

I think that a recursive directory traversal could be implemented, so you give a root folder and the app reloads all the views under it.
    Thanks in advance.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-16T23:08:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    To have an easy way to find the root directory of a snapshot view. If you are a ccadmin of a group with more than 30 developers you definitely need to know where is a snapshot view located without asking his owner. Moreover: what if you create a snapshot view and for any reason you loose the original shortcut?

CARLOS ISACOVICH
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-19T21:47:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Wish cleartool lshistory had more options to query history between 2 labels or between 2 dates. I wish we could specify more than one branch with -branch option.
    • Tgefen
      Tgefen
      713 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-20T09:38:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      mkikkeri, it is already exist by ClearCase add-ons:

You can use Visual Annotate for finding out history of code lines, including where it comes from, when, by whom, where it was deleted and more.

You can use R&D Reporter for finding history of baselines, components, activities and streams. So far it supports UCM only but you can subscribe the mailing list and be notified for updates.

Regards,
      Tamir Gefen
  • Yogesh_Bhat
    Yogesh_Bhat
    22 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-11T07:36:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I wish if "cleartool lsbl http://-stream <streamname> ..." supports an option to list specified number of baseline.

example:
    "cleartool lsbl http://-stream <streamname> ... -top 10" - this would help us to improve script execution time.

Thanks,
    Yogesh
  • Yogesh_Bhat
    Yogesh_Bhat
    22 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-11T07:38:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I wish if "cleartool lsbl -stream <streamname> ..." supports an option to list specified number of baseline.

example:
    "cleartool lsbl -stream <streamname> ... -top 10" - this would help us to improve script execution time.

Thanks,
    Yogesh