Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-04-02T23:35:58Z by bdelima
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
123 Posts

Pinned topic Saving Compare Filter Sets

‏2009-04-01T15:24:49Z |
Sometimes I experience trouble saving Filter Sets. The scenario is the following.

1. I run a compare using an existing filter.
2. I edit the filter for some reason.
3. I click the "Save the last compare operation".
4. I close the compare results view.

Sometimes, this will bring up a dialog asking me to save the results, even though I saved it right before I closed the results view. Moreover, this can result in two filter sets with the same name stored in the filter. I then must

1. Open the filter in the filter editor
2. Determine which filter set contains the changes I made; delete the other one with the same name.
3. Save and close the filter editor.
4. Re-run the compare to makes sure I can reproduce the results.

I wonder if there is a way to always replace a filter set with the same name rather than adding a new one. I also wonder about the difference between saving the filter set via the button on the compare results view and saving it after closing the compare result set.

I don't see this all the time. Is there a more "predictable" way to approach saving filter set changes?
Updated on 2009-04-02T23:35:58Z at 2009-04-02T23:35:58Z by bdelima
  • bdelima
    bdelima
    124 Posts

Re: Saving Compare Filter Sets

‏2009-04-02T23:13:39Z  
    This is supposed to be predictable :-)...

The way it should work is it should prompt you to save your compare operation if -

1. there are changes to the filterset (either filters add/removed or acceptrable results added/removed)
    2. the filterset has never been previously saved

This should occur if -

1. the view is closed either becasue you are shutting down VCE or simply closing the view
    2. a new compare operation is initiated

It should never prompt you to save if the current operation has already been saved.

I've completely rewritten the logic so hopefully it's be more robust. I'll send you an update to test.
  • bdelima
    bdelima
    124 Posts

Re: Saving Compare Filter Sets

‏2009-04-02T23:35:58Z  
    • bdelima
    • ‏2009-04-02T23:13:39Z
    This is supposed to be predictable :-)...

The way it should work is it should prompt you to save your compare operation if -

1. there are changes to the filterset (either filters add/removed or acceptrable results added/removed)
    2. the filterset has never been previously saved

This should occur if -

1. the view is closed either becasue you are shutting down VCE or simply closing the view
    2. a new compare operation is initiated

It should never prompt you to save if the current operation has already been saved.

I've completely rewritten the logic so hopefully it's be more robust. I'll send you an update to test.
    Addendum...

It should never save multiple filtersets with the same name to same filter file. If that's occuring, it's a bug. See if you can reproduce once I get you the updated code.