Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-04-03T14:23:58Z by SystemAdmin
iPremiseRob
iPremiseRob
42 Posts

Pinned topic OS Detection fails

‏2009-03-27T16:33:51Z |
I'm capturing a clone image from a machine that is running CentOS 5.2. I go to create the new system profile and all works fine until the OS detection.

The OS detection launches a linux client on the machine to do the detection. The Linux boot process hangs at "Starting syslog services Done". So it appears that whatever boot tasks are to be done after the syslog services start is not being completed. Then the wizard indicated it does not have a response from the task so the profile creation wizard stops at that point...that is, you can't continue obviously.

Just wondering if this has been replicated or not, or seen before? Is there a way to work around it?

Rob
Updated on 2009-04-03T14:23:58Z at 2009-04-03T14:23:58Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

Re: OS Detection fails

‏2009-04-03T11:57:00Z  
    Hi,

I don't think CenOS have been tested with TPMfOSd 7.1 and there may be a problem in the OS detection part since it has changed with the new version.

We may look through it but I don't know when we'll have a solution for as CentOS is not officially supported, the task will not get a high priority.

May I suggest you open an enhancement request to track this issue and fix it ?

Best regards
  • iPremiseRob
    iPremiseRob
    42 Posts

‏2009-04-03T14:13:33Z  
    Hi,

I don't think CenOS have been tested with TPMfOSd 7.1 and there may be a problem in the OS detection part since it has changed with the new version.

We may look through it but I don't know when we'll have a solution for as CentOS is not officially supported, the task will not get a high priority.

May I suggest you open an enhancement request to track this issue and fix it ?

Best regards
    It isn't clear to me why this issue would occur since we've captured CentOS before. We'll continue testing and find an alternative approach.

Rob
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2009-04-03T14:23:58Z  
    It isn't clear to me why this issue would occur since we've captured CentOS before. We'll continue testing and find an alternative approach.

Rob
    In TPMfOSd 7.1 we now use MCP (a small linux kernel) to discover the OS instead of using the TPMfOSd kernel.
    We have decided to use this solution to avoid compatibility issue and disk access problems.

Since this change has been made, we haven't tested OSes like CentOS and it is possible that an update of the code is needed.