Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-08T08:27:36Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
111 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Associating one Lifecycle with Another. Child CR but of another type

‏2009-03-22T07:26:35Z |
One of the processes within Change that we want to define is basically this:

• A user wants a document peer reviewed, so they create a Peer Review CR, then they create several Review CRs (associated with the 'parent' CR) and assign them to the various peer reviewers.
  • The reviewers do the review, add their review comments to their Review CR and transition it to completed.
  • The original user then sees all Reviews are complete and can update the document and transitions his Peer Review CR to complete.
We have defined a Document Peer Review lifecycle with the following states:
Created -> In_Progress -> Completed with an addition Canceled state.

What I'm wanting to define is another simple lifecycle called Review, which will have states:
Created -> In_Progress -> Completed

(They look similar, but the Peer Review lifecycle will likely become more complex in time, which the Review one is simpler.)

The Peer Review lifecycle and Review lifecycle are different, but I want to be able to create and associate Review CRs from the Peer Review CR.

First up, from a Change point of view, does this seem like a reasonable approach in principle? Or should I just be using the one type of CR?

Secondly, is it possible to associate a CR with a CR of another type? If so, where can I get more information about setting this up? Ideally the Peer Review (In_Progress) dialog would have a 'Create and Assign Review' button, which would create, populate and assign the Review CR.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam
Updated on 2013-01-08T08:27:36Z at 2013-01-08T08:27:36Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    111 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Associating one Lifecycle with Another. Child CR but of another type

‏2009-03-26T14:08:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You should be able to do what you want (but the states must have different names for the different CR lifecycles).
    Whether you use one lifecycle or two depends upon the commonality and differences in the data you want to enter, and on how you want to manage (report on) the CRs.

If the lifecycle states have the same data requirements in each lifecycle, then you could consider having a CRtype attribute to select the appropriate transitions. However, in the terminal state you would probably need to display data from all CRtypes, so separate lifecycles may be best.
    I suggest you have a look at the DOORS/Change integration, as that uses child CRs of a different type.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    111 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-27T17:12:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Sam:

First: What you are describing seems entirely reasonable and is commonly done. So long as the two types of request are (or in your case, will be eventually) sufficiently different in terms of attributes being tracked and states and transitions, it makes sense to manage them as separate lifecycles. There is always a trade-off to be made between complexity of maintaining the overall CR process and complexity for the users to understand what they're meant to do with the process. The users usually win (or they should). From your description I would lean toward the two separate lifecycles, but in truth it could be managed well either way.

Second: It is certainly possible to associate CRs of different lifecycles, and again this is commonly done. There is a bit of information about this in the Telelogic Change Admin Help, and more information in the Customization Reference. The best way to learn this is actually in the Building Lifecycles training course. You can look at the out-of-box DOORS-Change integration process to see an example of a parent lifecycle (SCR) with two child lifecycles (IR and RCR). You will see that the association is done with attributes of WebType CCM_RELATION that define the relationships between the lifecycles. Those attributes are placed on the appropriate dialogs to allow navigation of the associated CRs. The CCM_RELATION WebType provides the user interface controls automatically, and in your example the 'Create and Assign Review' button would appear as a link on the CR dialog where the associated Review CRs are displayed. The text for the link comes from the label on the submit transition for the Review CR.
    • Roshi
      Roshi
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T05:25:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I am looking for the similar kind of customization.

Need your help on this.

Can you guide me how to do this?

~Roh
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        111 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T08:27:36Z  in response to Roshi
        Hello Roh,

brewer explained quite well how you can learn to do these things. In addition to my posts in https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14926297 you should have a start. If you have any problems on your way, feel free to ask.

Best regards,
        Mike