Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-03-18T15:44:55Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
123 Posts

Pinned topic Filter Contexts

‏2009-03-17T14:42:29Z |
I had an occasion to compare two WAS environments that had a Data Replication Domain named "Cluster-B". Naturally, there was a cluster of the same name. I first created an implicit match between two replication domains. But when I tried to create an implicit match between the two clusters, it failed. I'm pretty sure this is because "Cluster-B" had already been substituted during the ObjectNameSubstitutionFilter operation from the replication domain (RD) match.

I thought I could remedy this by changing the Context of the RD filter from

WebSphere\..*
to

WebSphere\.DataReplicationDomain
. It didn't seem to change anything. When I removed my RD filter, the cluster filter started matching as expected.

Is the purpose of the Context for an ObjectNameSubstitutionFilter to restrict the scope under which the substitution occurs? Perhaps I should simply explicitly match the RDs since there is only one for each environment.
Updated on 2009-03-18T15:44:55Z at 2009-03-18T15:44:55Z by SystemAdmin
  • bdelima
    bdelima
    124 Posts

Re: Filter Contexts

‏2009-03-17T16:12:37Z  
    Hi Paul,

Currently, filter context is just used as a way to subset filters that are applicable to a given abject type. This is used in the dialogs when you want to add existing filters to a compare operation. I did intend to also use context during the actual compare operation, but I have yet to implement this feature. It seemed to meet requirements the way it was, so I let it be. I cna revisit this.

Do you think filter context should also be used during the compare operation - meaning only apply the filter if the context matches the objects currently being compared?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    123 Posts

Re: Filter Contexts

‏2009-03-18T15:44:55Z  
    • bdelima
    • ‏2009-03-17T16:12:37Z
    Hi Paul,

Currently, filter context is just used as a way to subset filters that are applicable to a given abject type. This is used in the dialogs when you want to add existing filters to a compare operation. I did intend to also use context during the actual compare operation, but I have yet to implement this feature. It seemed to meet requirements the way it was, so I let it be. I cna revisit this.

Do you think filter context should also be used during the compare operation - meaning only apply the filter if the context matches the objects currently being compared?
    Hi Bob,

For substitutions, it seems reasonable to me to be able to restrict the scope of a substitution. The case at my current assignment illustrates one example this would be helpful: in one environment both a cluster and a data replication domain were named "Cluster-B". So it would have been useful to scope the substitutions to avoid conflicts.

I'm not sure if there are any repercussions to doing this. People might have some filters working just the way they want and this could change them. That might be a rude awakening.