• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-08-27T02:51:01Z by bdelima
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
123 Posts

Pinned topic export full configurations

‏2009-03-14T11:15:55Z |
Hi all,
I am using vce too much nowadays and sharing my experiences with the forum members. Sorry for my sequential questions:)

I wonder how can we export all attributes of a specific configuration to an xml file, I know I can do it for childs one by one or search in but is it possible to do export for all? This will be really helpful for configuration management purposes.

For future, it will be nice to import this xml output to maximo authorized db to specify as a configuration item and include to change management process if any difference discovered with the previous configuration. Also extension of provider scope will be perfect especially for all ibm product family, but I know it will not be easy.
I was an attendee to Technical Conference for Websphere in Barcelona last year, and I think there should be sessions about IBM Support Assistant and VCE kind of tools and add-ons included to those events. I think vce is really useful and admin friendly for IBM customers if introduced and developed extensively.
Thanks
Updated on 2009-08-27T02:51:01Z at 2009-08-27T02:51:01Z by bdelima
  • bdelima
    bdelima
    124 Posts

Re: export full configurations

‏2009-03-17T15:51:52Z  
    Hello,

What you are describing is possible using the Headless Automation Runtime. Have a look in VCE Help under "Tasks->Automation". Specifically, you want to look at the "vce.query" task. This task allows you to pick a starting point in your config tree, then output the tree and property settings using a well-defined XML format. Think of this a "configuration report" capability. I actually have customers using this in exactly the way you describe.. generating the report and then storing it in a back-end enterprise-level Systems Management framework.

Note that the "vce.query" function is not currently exposed in the GUI interface, only via the Headless Runtime. I would consider adding this capability to the UI as well if there is a need.

Regards,
    Bob DeLima
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    123 Posts

‏2009-08-26T12:43:27Z  
    • bdelima
    • ‏2009-03-17T15:51:52Z
    Hello,

What you are describing is possible using the Headless Automation Runtime. Have a look in VCE Help under "Tasks->Automation". Specifically, you want to look at the "vce.query" task. This task allows you to pick a starting point in your config tree, then output the tree and property settings using a well-defined XML format. Think of this a "configuration report" capability. I actually have customers using this in exactly the way you describe.. generating the report and then storing it in a back-end enterprise-level Systems Management framework.

Note that the "vce.query" function is not currently exposed in the GUI interface, only via the Headless Runtime. I would consider adding this capability to the UI as well if there is a need.

Regards,
    Bob DeLima
    I am using VCE 1.0.15.

I have loaded two WebSphere configs for comparison. The compare will not drill down through the WebSphere configuration. It only compares the top level element in the tree.

Example.

Upload the config for a cell that has one cluster over two nodes with one jvm in each node.

Compare the nodes. Select subtrees. 148 differences(mostly down to different nodes names).
    Compare the JVM(server object). Select subtrees. 405 differences(pmi runs on one JVM but not on the other)

The node compare with subtrees should pick up the JVM differences but it doesn't.
  • bdelima
    bdelima
    124 Posts

‏2009-08-27T02:51:01Z  
    I am using VCE 1.0.15.

I have loaded two WebSphere configs for comparison. The compare will not drill down through the WebSphere configuration. It only compares the top level element in the tree.

Example.

Upload the config for a cell that has one cluster over two nodes with one jvm in each node.

Compare the nodes. Select subtrees. 148 differences(mostly down to different nodes names).
    Compare the JVM(server object). Select subtrees. 405 differences(pmi runs on one JVM but not on the other)

The node compare with subtrees should pick up the JVM differences but it doesn't.
    Hi Patrick,

Have a look in the VCE help "tasks" section for more information on how to use the compare function, and more specifically on using the Object Compare Results view. Comparing WebSphere configs from different systems typically requires the use of the filtering capability. This is usually accomplished by selecting the root nodes of the configs in question, and iterating the "Unresolved ..." differences in the result view to match up the right tree elements.