Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-08-05T15:47:31Z by mStaykov
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
17917 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Perl DBD::DB2 driver install on Linux (Fedora 9) - fails...

‏2009-03-13T15:11:57Z |
When trying to do the above for DB2 V9.5 ESE, one of the steps (the actual "make" command) fails with
Constants.xs:16:20: error: sqlcli.h: No such file or directory
Constants.xs:18:21: error: sqlcli1.h: No such file or directory
Constants.xs:19:20: error: sqlext.h: No such file or directory

Now, I have found that files these reside in the "IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC, CLI" and downloaded and untarred it (it was actually a FixPack).
2 questions, please?
I don't see any "install"/"setup" options for this client. Is there such an option? How install this driver?
I do see the missing files in one of the unzipped directories, being:
/dsdriver/odbc_cli_driver/linuxia32/clidriver/include
It's possible an install is not required. If so, can I just copy these files, and if so, to where?
Another web poster suggested the Application Development client be installed, which I could not find.
I'm very confused, and appreciate any help: this should not be such a haphazard approach.
Thanks
wombat53
Updated on 2012-06-19T10:07:11Z at 2012-06-19T10:07:11Z by taputeranga
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    17917 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Perl DBD::DB2 driver install on Linux (Fedora 9) - fails...

‏2009-03-13T16:04:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    To continue, I have found and downloaded the Data Server client, which contains The IBM® Data Server Driver for ODBC, CLI, and .NET . I installed this - with a db2setup command - but the Perl "make" get the same error message about various constants not found

Now, the install generated a different directory, /opt/ibm/db2/V9.5_01 for the code, vs. the V9.5 directory which contains DB2 Express-C. I wasn't sure if I wanted to "over-write" it, and so let it do its own thing.

Maybe this was wrong?

Perhaps I should uninstall the DS client, and let it go to the /opt/ibm/db2/V9.5 directory?

I just don't want to jeopardize an existing installation into which I have put a lot of work.
    Thanks
    wombat53
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    17917 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-13T16:16:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    DSDRIVER on Unix/Linux doesn't require an installer. You can simply untar them. On Windows, DSDRIVER ships with an installer.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      17917 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-13T16:22:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Raymond - untar them to where (in the directory structure)?
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      17917 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-13T16:25:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Raymond, following up, is it possible to just get the DSDRIVER alone, without the entire IBM Data Server Client? If so, from where? I couldn't find it on:
      https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/reg/pick.do?lang=en_US&source=swg-idsc11

just the large clients, which I did install (and subsequentl de_installed.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      17917 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-13T16:33:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Raymond - again...I think I may have found it:
      http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/db2/express/additional-downloads.html?S_TACT=none&S_CMP=none
      "Additional downloads"......(very fine print, on the Clients download page....)
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        17917 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-13T16:42:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        But still I ask where to untar them to?
        I normally /dload files to /tmp, which yielded after tar:
        clidriver/
        clidriver/adm/
        clidriver/adm/db2trc
        clidriver/bin/
        clidriver/bin/db2level
        clidriver/bin/db2support
        clidriver/bin/db2ldcfg
        clidriver/bin/db2lddrg
        clidriver/bnd/
        etc., etc....
        But clearly they must go to somewhere in the Db2 Directory structure??????????? Not in /tmp ....
        wombat53
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          17917 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-14T01:58:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          From where - exactly - does one get the following 3 include files, and where are they to be installed on DB2 V9.5 (Express-c)?

I have installed the "IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI" and there is no include directory.
          I am trying to install the Perl Database Interface for LUW, but the "make" step keeps failing with the messages above.
          Thanks
          wombat53
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            17917 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-14T19:29:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            I believe I have a resolution to this problem. One of the untarred DB2 client downloads had a file - amongst many - in the untarred directory structure called "APPLICATION_DEVELOPMENT_TOOLS_9.5.0.0_linuxia32_i 386.tar.gz". This had an include library, containing the missing files. I untarred that zip file, and copied all the header files to the instance owner's include directory, and was able to complete the PERL Manual installation on Linux (the "make" process).
            I still don't know if it is required to install the run-time client and/or DSDRIVER, but this seemed to do the job.
            Perhaps this will help others with the same problem.
            wombat53
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              17917 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-07-06T20:39:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              I realize this thread is a bit old, but I thought I would post my findings in case it might help someone else. Since wombat's final answer didn't specify which DB2 client package had the APPLICATION_DEVELOPMENT_TOOLS_9.5.0.0_linuxia32_i 386.tar.gz file, I still didn't know where to find the files until I stumbled on the "Application development changes summary" section under What's Changed in the documentation - http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9r5/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.luw.wn.doc/doc/c0052590.html

You'll notice the first change indicates the Header Files are no longer installed by default. The resolution is to perform a custom installation (you can modify an existing installation too) and select the features which contain the desired header files.

This worked for me.
              • taputeranga
                taputeranga
                1 Post
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-19T10:07:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Man, I spent a year on and off trying to get this to work. Thanks for updating this thread
              • mStaykov
                mStaykov
                1 Post
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-08-05T15:47:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Thank you for mentioning that, I had problems with ibm_db compilation for several hours, tried what-not devel packages, but the thing that made it work was the one you mentioned - selecting an extra thing in the custom section of the DB2 installation!

Updated on 2014-08-05T15:48:06Z at 2014-08-05T15:48:06Z by mStaykov