4 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-08-12T10:04:32Z by bwilliams
bwilliams
bwilliams
41 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Publishing Engine, DocExpress, WEXP

‏2009-03-11T12:41:38Z |
Hello all

Im a product manager in IBM Rational (from the legacy Telelogic organization), and Publishing Engine (and the product it replaces, DocExpress) fall under my remit.

DocExpress is no longer for new customers to purchase.
WEXP was a DOORS only professional services script that has not been available for a couple of years, and is incompatible with later DOORS versions.

Having used DocExpress (and WEXP, as well as the built in export capabilities of DOORS) for a number of years supporting real customer implementations before I moved into product management, I was acutely aware of the importance of document generation in the systems and software development lifecycles and the pains that customers faced with the current generation of solutions.

We set about to conceive a replacement for these legacy solutions that addressed all of their shortcomings, including, but not limited to:

* Performance (TPE generates documents from DOORS on average 40 to 60 times the speed of DocExpress and WEXP)
* Invasiveness (TPE does not use the system clipboard and as such you can carry on working with typical copy/paste functions in other applications without interfering with document generation)
* Pre-requisites (TPE does not require the target application (eg MS Word) to be installed on the system performing the document generation)
* Modular (TPE can add additional input data sources and output formats very easily without risk of affecting other parts of the codebase. This helps us ensure such new capabilities can be added more quickly, and that overall product stability and quality is higher)
* Separation of data and formatting (TPE requires zero modification (read as contamination) of the data source with additional attributes and other information to define how the documents should be exported. This also has a side effect that you can just as easily publish from existing DOORS Module Baselines as you can from current (writeable) versions of DOORS Modules. Another side effect is that there is a many-to-many relationship between data sources and templates. For example a single DOORS Module can be used to create as many differently formatted documents as you wish, whereas with WEXP, if you change a configuration for an export, you are overwriting the previous document configuration.

TPE can bring enormous benefits to customer organizations looking to reduce risk and cost in meeting requirements placed upon them in the area of document generation, whether those requirements are internal, contractual from customers or suppliers, or regulatory.
However, to gain maximum benefit from TPE, it is not possible to approach implementation with a WEXP or DocExpress usage paradigm in mind.
Updated on 2011-08-12T10:04:32Z at 2011-08-12T10:04:32Z by bwilliams
  • kennymcguffie
    kennymcguffie
    18 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Publishing Engine, DocExpress, WEXP

‏2009-03-30T20:41:18Z  in response to bwilliams
    Just wondering if you know if WEXP is compatible with DOORS 9.1. We are currently using it with very few problems on 9.0.

Thanks

Kenny
    • bwilliams
      bwilliams
      41 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-09T17:14:21Z  in response to kennymcguffie
      Hello Kenny

I was not aware that WEXP was working with any 9.x versions of DOORS.

Regards

Ben
      • SandraCoppedge
        SandraCoppedge
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-11T20:56:27Z  in response to bwilliams
        Ben,

You say you are acutely aware... if you think the DOORS Export feature even remotely comes close to WEXP or anything else, then acutely is an understatement. I am not saying this to be mean, I am saying it because I am afraid you need to really do some research with your customers before thinking it will suffice in any real world situation. It will be a hard sell to your existing customers, but done right, I believe it will be a welcomed sight.

I will gladly enlighten you if you would like. I've worked with several versions of DOORS and dealt with a number of frustrations posed by its limitations. Being the "DOORS Expert" for my customers, it's hard to explain to them WHY DOORS doesn't include such a basic functionality.

(I just realized how old your post was, so this may be OBE, but I also see IBM has yet to fix this problem.)
        • bwilliams
          bwilliams
          41 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-12T10:04:32Z  in response to SandraCoppedge
          Hello Sandra

Thanks for the message. I think you may have misinterpreted my words.

My post:

a) is nearly 3 years old
          b) was regarding a commercial product (TPE - Telelogic Publishing Engine, now known as RPE - Rational Publishing Engine)
          c) never once compared the built in DOORS export functionality with WEXP (what I did do was state that having worked with DOORS in a systems and software engineering context for so long and having used all of the document generation solutions available for DOORS at the time, I was - and still am - acutely aware of the limitations of each, including tools such as DocExpress, WEXP, and the built in DOORS functionality)

Since writing that post I've moved roles within IBM and am no longer the RPE product manager. My new role is as the Reporting Strategy lead for IBM Rational, and the product manager for our common reporting platform.
          As such I have been working hard to establish a set of common capabilities that can be utilised by Rational product teams to provide various different types of reporting capability to their users, consistently across the brand.

The DOORS team have started to use some of this technology, but at this time are not using it to its full potential.
          My suggestion would be for you to contact the DOORS product management team to register your view on the importance of providing more robust document generation capabilities out of the box.

Kind Regards

Ben
          Updated on 2011-08-12T10:04:32Z at 2011-08-12T10:04:32Z by bwilliams