• 19 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-03T19:09:25Z by SystemAdmin
asafki
asafki
46 Posts

Pinned topic Cross Reference to Figures/Tables

‏2009-03-08T13:00:44Z |
Hi All,
As i get forward with my templates, I start to be gready ....
I'm looking for a way to create cross reference in the document to figures or tables.
So for example, I can see a object in DOORS:
"the flashlight should be built on led technology, as specified in figure XYZ" and than in DOORS i will have a link.
I want to have the numbering of the figure in the output document.
Thanks.

Asaf Kivity
Manageware Israel
www.manageware.co.il
Updated on 2012-12-03T19:09:25Z at 2012-12-03T19:09:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

Re: Cross Reference to Figures/Tables

‏2009-03-10T17:37:09Z  
    Hey Asaf,

you can use internal links and make references to them but you cannot knwo beforehand what number a certain figure will get and nor does TPE. So you can generate a document saying "as psecified in this figure" where "this figure" would be a hyperlink to the desired data.

Regards,
    Dragos
  • mikesdrdoors
    mikesdrdoors
    18 Posts

‏2009-03-26T09:38:03Z  
    Hey Asaf,

you can use internal links and make references to them but you cannot knwo beforehand what number a certain figure will get and nor does TPE. So you can generate a document saying "as psecified in this figure" where "this figure" would be a hyperlink to the desired data.

Regards,
    Dragos
    I am concerned by this answer, we need to use figure/tables Captions and have them numered within the final Word/PDF document. Also we need to make crossrefencing and have these translated on export to Word.
    At present, we use a custumn Export to Word in which we produce Caption labels plus crossreferencing.
    My questions are these:
    • Will Publishing Engine have such a feature in a future version, is so when?
    • Can we from publishing Engine callup software, as we do from our DXL export script, to format the Captions/Crossreferencing as poart of the Word export.
    best regards,

mike grimsdale
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2009-03-26T09:49:20Z  
    I am concerned by this answer, we need to use figure/tables Captions and have them numered within the final Word/PDF document. Also we need to make crossrefencing and have these translated on export to Word.
    At present, we use a custumn Export to Word in which we produce Caption labels plus crossreferencing.
    My questions are these:
    • Will Publishing Engine have such a feature in a future version, is so when?
    • Can we from publishing Engine callup software, as we do from our DXL export script, to format the Captions/Crossreferencing as poart of the Word export.
    best regards,

mike grimsdale
    Hey Mike,

TPE can generate and number figure and table captions.

TPE can generate Table of Figures and Table of Tables.

You cannot directly cross reference the captions but you can add bookmarks and cross reference them. With TPE 1.0.1 the name of the bookmarks are mangled by TPE to ensure uniqueness. Improvements are made in this area for 1.1.

TPE allows you to run a Word macro at the end of document generation so that you can post process the result in any way you wish.

Regards,
    Dragos
  • mikesdrdoors
    mikesdrdoors
    18 Posts

‏2010-07-28T11:47:27Z  
    Hey Mike,

You cannot directly cross reference the captions but you can add bookmarks and cross reference them. With TPE 1.0.1 the name of the bookmarks are mangled by TPE to ensure uniqueness. Improvements are made in this area for 1.1.

TPE allows you to run a Word macro at the end of document generation so that you can post process the result in any way you wish.

Regards,
    Dragos
    Hello Dragos,

It is now over one year later, at last we (in-house) have RPE Vers 1.1.1, but I find no improvement in this area.

We still cannot easily number Figures/Tables and still have no method, without the use of dxl code to produce cross-references.

What is the present position and what is intended to be introduced?

(As this may seem to be negative, my overall view of RPE is that it is a good tool, very flexible, fast and easy for the users)

Mike Grimsdale
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2010-07-28T14:20:44Z  
    Hey Mike,

with 1.1.1 and the latest version, RPE 1.1.1.1, you should be able to achieve more of what you need but it might not go all the way. If you provide some additional details on how your output should look like ( what figures/tables should be numbered, how those numbers captions should look like, where and how you want to cross reference them etc) I can give it a try and see what can be produced with RPE.

And don't worry about this being perceived as negativism, I'm quite glad to see people are interested in RPE and you've sweetened the blow anyway. :)

Regards,
    Dragos
  • mikesdrdoors
    mikesdrdoors
    18 Posts

‏2010-07-29T06:30:21Z  
    Dragos,

Thanks for the reply.

At present (in-house export to Word Dxl's)we:

Cross-Reference within DOORS using the ID on export to Word a Word Macro first gives Numbering to all Figures/Tables, (The title within DOORS being preceded by a label "CaptionWdF(T):Title....") cross-referencing is then changed, by macro to reflect not the Id but the actual Word Figure/table Reference.

Figures and tables are referenced, as in Word to the 3 level down which each figure being from first to last e.g.

The fourth figure within para 3.4.1, or lower becomes:

3.4.1-4

Since DOORS users virtual paragraph numbers within each object could these be used to give the numbering? This would mean that the Word (or PDF) would be identical to the DOORS internal paragraph numbering. This is not a problem, we have not encountered that an exported document is numbered differently to its DOORS host numbering.
    Mike Grimsdale
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2010-08-06T10:12:50Z  
    Hey Mike,

I now have some spare cycles and want to look into this cross-referencing problem. However your description is not very clear to me. What I need is a sample DOORS module and the output you want to have produced from it. If you can send me make sure your DOORS module does not get pre-processed by DXL.

Regards,
    Dragos
  • mikesdrdoors
    mikesdrdoors
    18 Posts

‏2010-08-17T11:02:42Z  
    Hey Mike,

I now have some spare cycles and want to look into this cross-referencing problem. However your description is not very clear to me. What I need is a sample DOORS module and the output you want to have produced from it. If you can send me make sure your DOORS module does not get pre-processed by DXL.

Regards,
    Dragos
    Hey Dragos,

Sorry had little time, we had a document delivery last week using RPE for the first time, documents look good.
    Back to the problem, we cannot cross reference within DOORS except by using the ID and then by macro changing this within the final Word document.
    DOORS does store the "Virtual" paragraph number within Object Number why can we not use this, at present this is not available within RPE.
    Adding this column to a DOORS view means that we can use this for cross-referencing. Allowing this (system) attribute to be used in RPE would mean that we would have identical paragraph numbering to DOORS, (we would need to suppress the "-1...99" object number within. DOORS shows the object number as paragraph number when the user chooses "Object Heading" however every object contains this system attribute showing its relational position.
    This would save us using macro's.
    Mike
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1299 Posts

‏2010-09-16T19:00:19Z  
    Hey Mike,

Regards,
    Dragos
    Dragos,

I need a solution to this problem as well. I will elaborate on the problem.

The industry that we work in produces specification documents that have many tables and figures. These tables and figures are referenced in other paragraphs of the specification. The paragraph(s) that reference the figure or table may not be in the same part of the module as figure or table being referenced. For example:

> The assembly shall provide a test interface consisting of current limited power supply voltage outputs for testing and monitoring the internal power supplies in accordance with Table 3.2.1.2.3.2.7-1 Power Supply Test Signals.

The table is numbered "3.2.1.2.3.2.7-1" because it is the first table under heading 3.2.1.2.3.2.7 in the DOORS module. The requirement referencing the table may be in section 3.8.

As you are aware, documents are constantly being restructured, and this is why DOORS provides an absolute number for each object.

What we would like to do is place some sort of replaceable reference such as:

> The assembly shall provide a test interface consisting of current limited power supply voltage outputs for testing and monitoring the internal power supplies in accordance with Table 4032 Power Supply Test Signals.

4032 would be the absolute number of the Table object in DOORS. This way, the requirement would always keep the correct reference to the table no matter if the table or the requirement were moved around in the module.

What we need is a way to automatically translate and replace Table 4032 to the current heading number of object 4032, "3.2.1.2.3.2.7-1" when the document is generated. Having the table caption appended as well would also be needed for some types of specifications.

I could also live with tables and figures numbered automatically generated sequentially (Table 1., Table 2.), as defined in MIL-STD-961E, as long as the table reference Table 4032 gets replaced with the correct auto-generated table number.

Please provide help with a path to a solution.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1299 Posts

‏2010-09-16T19:04:13Z  
    Hey Dragos,

Sorry had little time, we had a document delivery last week using RPE for the first time, documents look good.
    Back to the problem, we cannot cross reference within DOORS except by using the ID and then by macro changing this within the final Word document.
    DOORS does store the "Virtual" paragraph number within Object Number why can we not use this, at present this is not available within RPE.
    Adding this column to a DOORS view means that we can use this for cross-referencing. Allowing this (system) attribute to be used in RPE would mean that we would have identical paragraph numbering to DOORS, (we would need to suppress the "-1...99" object number within. DOORS shows the object number as paragraph number when the user chooses "Object Heading" however every object contains this system attribute showing its relational position.
    This would save us using macro's.
    Mike
    Mike,

Are you willing to share your macro? I was just about to start the development of something similar, as RPE has nothing close to an out-of-the-box solution to this common problem.
  • Unicycle
    Unicycle
    5 Posts

‏2010-09-17T12:39:27Z  
    Mike,

Are you willing to share your macro? I was just about to start the development of something similar, as RPE has nothing close to an out-of-the-box solution to this common problem.
    Michael

The attached file contains an RPE template and a Word template which implement the system that Mike described and also a sample module which has a description of the caption and cross reference details and some examples in it.

Currently most of the work of replacement is done in Word although I think I have a way of doing it in RPE worked out. The reason that I am not using an RPE replacement method is that I don't have a way to do the hyperlinking because I can't think of a way to insert a hyperlink in the middle of a text attribute.

The master Word macro which you should execute from RPE is doRPE(). This is the original doRPE macro from IBM with some added calls to my code which you will find in the ENS module in the Word Template.

As well as the caption system, these templates also do change bars based on an attribute called WordDocChangeBar in the module.

Let me know if you have any problems,

Jon
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1299 Posts

‏2010-09-17T20:00:45Z  
    • Unicycle
    • ‏2010-09-17T12:39:27Z
    Michael

The attached file contains an RPE template and a Word template which implement the system that Mike described and also a sample module which has a description of the caption and cross reference details and some examples in it.

Currently most of the work of replacement is done in Word although I think I have a way of doing it in RPE worked out. The reason that I am not using an RPE replacement method is that I don't have a way to do the hyperlinking because I can't think of a way to insert a hyperlink in the middle of a text attribute.

The master Word macro which you should execute from RPE is doRPE(). This is the original doRPE macro from IBM with some added calls to my code which you will find in the ENS module in the Word Template.

As well as the caption system, these templates also do change bars based on an attribute called WordDocChangeBar in the module.

Let me know if you have any problems,

Jon
    Jon,

Thanks. I'll take a look at it next week.
  • Jake.Wahlberg
    Jake.Wahlberg
    1 Post

‏2010-11-21T22:45:11Z  
    Dragos.Cojocari wrote:
    Hey Mike,

Regards,
    Dragos

I got more deep understanding about this part, It's good for reference, Thanks for your analysis!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1299 Posts

‏2011-01-19T14:55:19Z  
    Jon,

Thanks. I'll take a look at it next week.
    Jon,

Next week turned into next year, but I'm finally taking a look at what you posted as I do need a solution to this problem. If I come up with something, I'll post it here.
  • MikeS.
    MikeS.
    9 Posts

‏2011-01-24T20:09:02Z  
    Dragos,

The industry that we work in produces specification documents that have many tables and figures. These tables and figures are referenced in other paragraphs of the specification. The paragraph(s) that reference the figure or table may not be in the same part of the module as figure or table being referenced. For example:

> The assembly shall provide a test interface consisting of current limited power supply voltage outputs for testing and monitoring the internal power supplies in accordance with Table 3.2.1.2.3.2.7-1 Power Supply Test Signals.

The table is numbered "3.2.1.2.3.2.7-1" because it is the first table under heading 3.2.1.2.3.2.7 in the DOORS module. The requirement referencing the table may be in section 3.8.

As you are aware, documents are constantly being restructured, and this is why DOORS provides an absolute number for each object.

> The assembly shall provide a test interface consisting of current limited power supply voltage outputs for testing and monitoring the internal power supplies in accordance with Table 4032 Power Supply Test Signals.

4032 would be the absolute number of the Table object in DOORS. This way, the requirement would always keep the correct reference to the table no matter if the table or the requirement were moved around in the module.

What we need is a way to automatically translate and replace Table 4032 to the current heading number of object 4032, "3.2.1.2.3.2.7-1" when the document is generated. Having the table caption appended as well would also be needed for some types of specifications.

I could also live with tables and figures numbered automatically generated sequentially (Table 1., Table 2.), as defined in MIL-STD-961E, as long as the table reference Table 4032 gets replaced with the correct auto-generated table number.

We do similar types of references. The simplest thing to do is to convince users that it's ok to just use DOORS object numbers as references. This does not look as nice in the final documents, but it does make it so the documents that are produced match the DOORS database. This is especially useful when addressing customer comments. We do this on most of our documents now. We sometimes get comments from users working with them the first time, but the documents are easier to review so the issue tends to go away as users become more familiar with the documents.

For documents that need to be "cleaner" I have used RPE to bookmark each requirement using the absolute number as the document is generated. See the attached file for an example. RPE appends a bunch of extra characters to the end but that can be dealt with by either having fixed length ids in DOORS (we start each module at 10000 just so these types of formatting issues are easier -- haven't hit 100,000 yet) or using additional formatting to make the absolute number readily identifiable. I like to add "qqq" as a marker for these types of things. If you really want the DOORS heading level -- "Object Number" in DOORS -- you can add it by using a Javascript to read the heading number of the object and replacing any periods with a character that is acceptable for MS Word bookmarks.

(As of version 1.1.1.1 RPE was not reading the DOORS heading levels properly from the built in attribute. I had to add a DXL column defined as number(object) and add it to my custom DOORS schema to get RPE to read the attribute.)

A post processing macro could easily fix your "Table 4032" references by finding the bookmark that starts as "4032qqq" (using my convention). You could then read the DOORS heading level from the bookmark and replace your original reference with the desired format.

The post processing actually runs fairly fast because you can search the list of bookmarks and go to the correct spot instead of having to search the whole document for text.

You could also rename the bookmarks to make them usable by humans as part of the post processing.
  • IanVS
    IanVS
    7 Posts

‏2011-02-08T14:21:46Z  
    Dragos,

Michael.Sutherland said:
    >I could also live with tables and figures numbered automatically generated sequentially (Table 1., Table 2.), as defined in MIL-STD-961E, as long as the table reference Table 4032 gets replaced with the correct auto-generated table number.
    I think I may have come up with a workable solution, although I haven't extensively tested it. For now I'm just looking at figures, but the same thing could be done for tables. Essentially what I did was the following:

1. Create a "Figure Caption" attribute in my module.

2. If RPE finds a non-blank "Figure Caption" entry, it will:
    • a. Create a bookmark named something like "Figure_ID2_start" where 2 is the ID of the object
    • b. Create a text field for "Figure "
    • c. Create a field element like {SEQ Figure \* ARABIC} to create a sequential number (paragraph numbers could also be used).
    • d. Create another bookmark named "Figure_ID2_end"
    • e. Create a text element for the actual figure caption from DOORS.

3. I then built a word macro that will find bookmarks with "_start" and "_end" in them and replace them with an enclosing bookmark that contains the "Figure {SEQ Figure \* ARABIC}" text. I name the new bookmark something like "Figure_ID2"

4. In DOORS, if I want to reference a figure, I use a notation like, "See <figure>2</figure>." Where again, 2 is the ID of the object with the figure

5. The RPE template looks for "<figure>" and:
    • a. Creates a text element for everything before "<figure>"
    • b. Creates a field with a code like "{REF Figure_ID2 \* MERGEFORMAT}" where the "2" is read from between the <figure> and </figure> strings.
    • c. Creates a text element for everything after "</figure>"

6. During publishing, RPE kicks off the macro which updates fields, replaces bookmarks, then updates the fields again.
    When we're all done, we have a figure with a caption like, "Figure 1 - Spec Tree" and then somewhere in the text a dynamic cross-reference like, "See Figure 1." Is that what you were looking for?

For now a limitation with my method is that you can only have one figure reference per DOORS object, due to the way that I'm searching for "<figure>" but I think that could be solved with a little more effort and javascript knowledge.
  • pemms
    pemms
    1 Post

‏2011-08-31T10:31:02Z  
    • IanVS
    • ‏2011-02-08T14:21:46Z
    Michael.Sutherland said:
    >I could also live with tables and figures numbered automatically generated sequentially (Table 1., Table 2.), as defined in MIL-STD-961E, as long as the table reference Table 4032 gets replaced with the correct auto-generated table number.
    I think I may have come up with a workable solution, although I haven't extensively tested it. For now I'm just looking at figures, but the same thing could be done for tables. Essentially what I did was the following:

• a. Create a bookmark named something like "Figure_ID2_start" where 2 is the ID of the object
    • c. Create a field element like {SEQ Figure \* ARABIC} to create a sequential number (paragraph numbers could also be used).

3. I then built a word macro that will find bookmarks with "_start" and "_end" in them and replace them with an enclosing bookmark that contains the "Figure {SEQ Figure \* ARABIC}" text. I name the new bookmark something like "Figure_ID2"

4. In DOORS, if I want to reference a figure, I use a notation like, "See <figure>2</figure>." Where again, 2 is the ID of the object with the figure

• b. Creates a field with a code like "{REF Figure_ID2 \* MERGEFORMAT}" where the "2" is read from between the <figure> and </figure> strings.

6. During publishing, RPE kicks off the macro which updates fields, replaces bookmarks, then updates the fields again.
    When we're all done, we have a figure with a caption like, "Figure 1 - Spec Tree" and then somewhere in the text a dynamic cross-reference like, "See Figure 1." Is that what you were looking for?

For now a limitation with my method is that you can only have one figure reference per DOORS object, due to the way that I'm searching for "<figure>" but I think that could be solved with a little more effort and javascript knowledge.
    As a new user to RPE, as we are getting ready to transition to DOORS 9.3 with RPE, you're solution is exactly what I'm looking for to solve the problem of cross refernces in our documents. Having sorted out the RPE side of the solution, and in having absolute no experiance in writing macro's, are you willing to share your macros?, as this is really the last problem I currently have to solve for our templates.
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2012-05-21T21:58:06Z  
    Dragos,
    Has there been any work done on this Word cross reference feature using DOORS? Is there at least a work around that can be provided as an example?

Greg
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1299 Posts

‏2012-12-03T19:09:25Z  
    • IanVS
    • ‏2011-02-08T14:21:46Z
    Michael.Sutherland said:

Hi

How did you managed to create a text element for all the text till the <figure element>. When I try to follow a similar approach and start assigning the object text to a varible and scan the contents from the start of object text till the 1st <figure element>, since I am using variable/scripts now, I do not get the figure/OLE but just the tag <Image/OLE>. Kindly let me know how to get around the issue.

Kindly reply asap.
    Thanks