ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Informix BOOLEAN type is not supported?? IDS ADO EF

‏2009-03-05T08:49:58Z |
Hi.

BOOLEAN Type is not supported??

CREATE TABLE "myschema"."table_2" (
"id" INTEGER NOT NULL,
"COLUMN1" BOOLEAN ,
PRIMARY KEY ("id") CONSTRAINT pk_table_2)
;
GRANT DELETE, INDEX, INSERT, SELECT, UPDATE ON "myschema"."table_2" TO "public"
;

eppEntities e = new eppEntities();
e.AddToTable2(new Table2() { ID = 3, column1 = true});
e.SaveChanges(); <- throw exception

Inner Exception: "Specified cast is not valid."

Stack trace: at IBM.Data.DB2.DB2Parameter.b(DB2ParamInfo& A_0)
at IBM.Data.DB2.DB2Parameter.GetParamInfo(Int32 paramPos, DB2ParamInfo& paramInfo)
at IBM.Data.DB2.DB2ParameterCollection.GetParamInfoList(ArrayList namedParamList)
at IBM.Data.DB2.DB2Command.g()
at IBM.Data.DB2.DB2Command.ExecuteNonQuery()
at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.DynamicUpdateCommand.Execute(UpdateTranslator translator, EntityConnection connection, Dictionary`2 identifierValues, List`1 generatedValues)
at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateTranslator.Update(IEntityStateManager stateManager, IEntityAdapter adapter)
Windows XP SP3, Visual Studio 2008 SP1, Studio Add-in: v9.5fp3a_nt32_vsai, Driver: v9.5fp3_nt32_dsdriver_EN, iif.11.50 - Developer edition
Updated on 2012-02-21T15:21:12Z at 2012-02-21T15:21:12Z by GokouZWAR
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Informix BOOLEAN type is not supported?? IDS ADO EF

‏2009-03-05T19:03:50Z  in response to MenMen
    Hi,

This appears to be a generic defect in the provider but not specific to Entity Framework support alone. For your schema, writing a regular ADO.NET application would also result in an error. I will open a defect - to be fixed in V9.5 FP5.
  • MenMen
    MenMen
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-06T03:29:26Z  in response to MenMen
    Thanks for your answer.
    Best regards.
    • petermcc
      petermcc
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-12-07T02:35:27Z  in response to MenMen
      So is there any update on this? I have been using the latest ADO .NET Informix and DB2 providers, and they still appear to suffer from the same issue.

Our team are using LINQ to Entities, and we are investigating nHibernate. Same issue with both frameworks. Booleans not supported. This is a show stopper for us, and it is likely we cannot use either framework.

I have written plain ADO .NET code using SQL parameters to isolate the issue. This fails as expected.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2826 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-29T16:28:28Z  in response to petermcc
        Hi,

the support for setting Boolean as a Parameter value has been added in the v9.7 fixpack 1 release of the entity provider. I strongly suggest moving to that release to get the functionality you're looking for. However, if, for some reason, you're unable to move to the new release, please contact IBM service to request the functionality for the v9.5 fixpack.
        • SubbaraoTurlapati
          SubbaraoTurlapati
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-10T17:57:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I tried to update the database using DB2DataAdapter.Update(...) and I could not get it to work with a Boolean column. I'm using 9.7 fix pack1 of the Data Server Drivers for .Net. Please help me move forward on this as this is blocking my current development.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2826 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-25T13:58:04Z  in response to SubbaraoTurlapati
            The IDS BOOLEAN data type support has only been added to IBM's Entity Provider ( IBM.Data.DB2.Entity ). The standard ADO.NET provider does not have BOOLEAN support.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              2826 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-25T16:17:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Just to clarify my previous post, the GetBoolean() operation is only supported on Entity provider. The regular provider treats BOOLEAN as a SMALLINT, and, therefore, operations like GetInt16() are available. Therefore, for DB2DataAdapter, the smallint should be used instead of bool.
              • GokouZWAR
                GokouZWAR
                2 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-21T15:21:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                I'm also having this issue, I'm using the 9.7 fixpack 5. I think my problem is that the column in the database is not setup as a Boolean. How do you do this? We currently have it setup as a char(1) using Y and N for True and False respectively. How can we then take that information and get it into the site? I'm using EF 4.0 with ADO.Net. I have my database setup in an EDMX data model. I have several check boxes setup in my form that basically are supposed to set to checked when the value of the dynamic control is "Y" and unchecked if the value is "N". When the user goes to save the data it's supposed to read in those check boxes and say, if it's checked, set the dynamic control's value to Y, otherwise set it to N.

It would be a lot easier if the entity framework choose the Boolean field template instead of using a text box...if anyone knows how to set this up please let me know.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but it seemed relative to my problem.