Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-03-09T23:46:43Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
123 Posts

Pinned topic VCE Filters

‏2009-03-02T18:04:34Z |
I'm trying to get my head around using filters to fine-tune my compare operations within VCE. I'm having trouble understanding reference objects based on what I read in the documentation. The typical application would be when comparing two environments which have a different number of servers. So say I have environment eA which as server a1; while environment eB has servers b1, b2 and b3. Would I set up an implicit link between a1 and b1; then have b2 and b3 reference a1? Would this customize the compare tool to compare b1 to a1, b2 to a1 and b4 to a1?
Updated on 2009-03-09T23:46:43Z at 2009-03-09T23:46:43Z by SystemAdmin
  • bdelima
    bdelima
    124 Posts

Re: VCE Filters

‏2009-03-02T19:11:23Z  
    Yes, you understood it correctly.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    123 Posts

‏2009-03-03T05:01:38Z  
    • bdelima
    • ‏2009-03-02T19:11:23Z
    I now have a situation, altering my example above, where I need to create an explicit match between a1 and b1 (not implicit as before). I then try to create an object reference from b2 to a1, but the selection box for the reference is empty. This only worked for me when the first match I created was implicit.

Why should this matter?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    123 Posts

‏2009-03-03T05:14:53Z  
    • bdelima
    • ‏2009-03-02T19:11:23Z
    Actually, now the object reference dialog is empty no matter what I do. Shouldn't it be possible to create a reference from any object to any other object of the same type? I'm stumped as to how the object reference dialog is populated by the VCE with choices for us (sometimes no choices).
  • bdelima
    bdelima
    124 Posts

‏2009-03-03T13:26:04Z  
    Actually, now the object reference dialog is empty no matter what I do. Shouldn't it be possible to create a reference from any object to any other object of the same type? I'm stumped as to how the object reference dialog is populated by the VCE with choices for us (sometimes no choices).
    I apologize that it's not working as expected. I know how frustrating that can be. The dialog is populated as follows:

1.) It finds the matching parent objects for both objects.
    2.) It queries for reference parent for child objects of the same type. This is the list that is returned.

It should not matter how the parents were matched. The code should figure it out.

It sounds like perhaps you've stumbled upon a bug. Can you email the configs and workspace file you are using to me at bdelima@us.ibm.com? Once I get these items, we can set up a live troubleshooting session over netmeeting and telecon.

Regards,
    Bob DeLima
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    123 Posts

‏2009-03-03T17:49:44Z  
    • bdelima
    • ‏2009-03-03T13:26:04Z
    I apologize that it's not working as expected. I know how frustrating that can be. The dialog is populated as follows:

1.) It finds the matching parent objects for both objects.
    2.) It queries for reference parent for child objects of the same type. This is the list that is returned.

It should not matter how the parents were matched. The code should figure it out.

It sounds like perhaps you've stumbled upon a bug. Can you email the configs and workspace file you are using to me at bdelima@us.ibm.com? Once I get these items, we can set up a live troubleshooting session over netmeeting and telecon.

Regards,
    Bob DeLima
    Thanks for the quick response, Bob. I'll gather the collections, create a set of steps for reproducing my problem, and send them to you via email. When we resolve the issue, I'll summarize the solution here.

I suspect the problem is more of a misunderstanding on my part than a bug in the application.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    123 Posts

‏2009-03-09T23:46:43Z  
    Thanks for the quick response, Bob. I'll gather the collections, create a set of steps for reproducing my problem, and send them to you via email. When we resolve the issue, I'll summarize the solution here.

I suspect the problem is more of a misunderstanding on my part than a bug in the application.
    Thanks for looking at my collections. I see now that in order to establish a reference from one type of object to another instance of that type, their parent instances must already have been matched.