Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-04-22T17:13:08Z by Mark.Lines
Mark.Lines
Mark.Lines
56 Posts

Pinned topic OpenUP - what's that??

‏2009-02-27T05:10:02Z |
I spend a lot of time in front of customers explaining the risk & architecture driven techniques described in the Unified Process. In many cases it is for clients that have bought RUP but have had difficulties understanding and implementing the process.

When I show them the small Unified Process kernal that is freely available from the Eclipse site, they are amazed. Why haven't I heard about this they say?? It is unfortunate in my view that IBM has failed to properly promote this great open-source effort.

If you haven't seen OpenUP, check it out at www.eclipse.org/epf Download the free .zip file (in the downloads section) and extract it to a folder. Run the index.htm file, and voila! A simple and free version of the Unified Process, with templates and enough guidance to get you started.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on OpenUP. Our company coaches customers on how to start with a small process such as this and move to RUP when and if they are ready.

We been doing a talk in several countries called "Process Wars" that has been very well received. We point out that the days of methodology wars SHOULD be over, and the future of methods is incrementally adopting small chunks of process called Practices (such as test-driven development).

I believe that the idea of practices, introduced by IBM Rational (as well as Ivar Jacobson) is a huge paradigm shift in the evolution of software development best practices.

What are your thoughts?

We have recently renamed this forum from a RUP name, to a more generic "Methods" name. This is to encourage discussion on other methods besides RUP, including Harmony, OpenUP, and Agile methods.

I encourage you all to participate so that we can mutually learn from our different experiences.
Mark Lines
Discussion Facilitator
Updated on 2009-04-22T17:13:08Z at 2009-04-22T17:13:08Z by Mark.Lines
  • ScottAmbler
    ScottAmbler
    158 Posts

Re: OpenUP - what's that??

‏2009-03-09T12:55:51Z  
    Sadly I have to agree that we could have done a better job getting the word about about OpenUP. I've worked on it so I'm obviously biased, but it really is a great resource.

So.... I guess the question is how can we get the word out more effectively?

• Scott
    Scott W. Ambler
    Chief Methodologist/Agile, IBM Rational
    Agile at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3545 Posts

‏2009-03-09T13:39:10Z  
    I agree, OpenUP is a tremendous tool and, IMHO, represents the next level of maturity in Agile techiques/process. I have to confess I've always been surprised at the lack of adoption around EPF/OpenUP, it has almost everything a person could ask for with a price that can't be beat.

I suspect the first step is to build a stronger community around the application of these techniques and encourage more forthright discussion on the value of methods/practices. Renaming this forum is definitely a good start and actually seeing some interesting discussion threads starting to appear has helped me get more engaged (as reflected in this post!).

I know one challenge we face in the organization I work in is that most of our IT project effort is focused on enhancements to existing COTS solutions or implementing new COTS (and increasingly SaaS) products. Alot of our project teams struggle with effectively applying a RUP for similar reasons to what you've described Mark, the process is so comprehensive that core ideas (such as risk-minimizing and architecture driven techniques) get lost to those not well steeped in the overall methodology.

I think the 'practice' idea you described sounds interesting and I'd like to hear more about it. Is it similar to what Ivar Jacobsen has developed around Separation of Concerns in his EssUP.

Bryan Campbell
  • Mark.Lines
    Mark.Lines
    56 Posts

‏2009-03-10T17:20:52Z  
    Sadly I have to agree that we could have done a better job getting the word about about OpenUP. I've worked on it so I'm obviously biased, but it really is a great resource.

So.... I guess the question is how can we get the word out more effectively?

• Scott
    Scott W. Ambler
    Chief Methodologist/Agile, IBM Rational
    Agile at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler
    Getting the word out more effectively about OpenUP? Well, I think that it needs to be promoted in some fashion. Perhaps someone on the EPF team should commit to gathering information regarding to what degree it is being used, similar to the Agile surveys that you do? I would be happy to help.

I have heard that many universities have now added a course on OpenUP to their curriculum. This is encouraging as it means that graduates will join the workforce with a knowledge of the 4 Phase approach from UP.

Unfortunately, IBM doesn't offer a course on OpenUP that I know of, so our company provides a 1 day overview.

However, we don't have the marketing power of IBM ;-) so I think that it would be beneficial for IBM to be more proactive in promoting OpenUP if they wish clients to scale up to the more robust practice-based RUP.

Mark
    www.UPMentors.com
  • ScottAmbler
    ScottAmbler
    158 Posts

‏2009-03-20T17:00:45Z  
    I just wrote a blog posting about the Agile Process Maturity Model (APMM) which defines three levels for agile processes. In it I argued that OpenUP is an example of a level 2 agile process due to it addressing the full development lifecycle, as opposed to say Scrum and XP which only explicitly address a portion of it.

The URL is http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler?entry=apmm_overview

-Scott
  • Mark.Lines
    Mark.Lines
    56 Posts

Ambler's APMM blog

‏2009-04-22T17:13:08Z  
    I just wrote a blog posting about the Agile Process Maturity Model (APMM) which defines three levels for agile processes. In it I argued that OpenUP is an example of a level 2 agile process due to it addressing the full development lifecycle, as opposed to say Scrum and XP which only explicitly address a portion of it.

The URL is http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler?entry=apmm_overview

-Scott
    I really like Scott's breakdown of the APMM. This a very interesting way to thing about Agile Maturity.

I find that many organizations that adopt agile methods are quite "immature" in regards to their understanding of things like SDLC coverage and issues related to scaling agile to deal with enterprise concerns.

A framework like this provides a mechanism for conveying maturity issues to organizations so that they can assess their own status in this regard. Unfortunately their is alot of hype around agile, and it usually centers on Level 1.

I believe that most organizations need to be at LEAST Level 2 (preferably 3) in order to use Agile effectively on any significant project. OpenUP and RUP provide the needed lifecycle coverage. For larger organizations with enterprise issues, Level 3 should really be the goal. I think Scott would agree that achieving APMM Level 3 is not as onerous as achieving the higher levels of CMMI :)
    Mark Lines
    RUP Discussion Facilitator