Topic
14 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-02-23T12:01:36Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
104 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Authentication issues with WelcomeCenter after RHEL 5 installation.

‏2009-02-17T22:11:46Z |
Hello,

We've recently installed an instance of RHEL 5 on an LPAR on our System P box. Since we were unable to install using the installation toolkit (we have both a multipath environment and a desire to use LVM) we used Anaconda with the intention of installing the WelcomeCenter after the OS installation. Other than the previously mentioned storage configuration it was a pretty stock standard install.

Referencing the users manual (First Edition, May 2008) it appears that the procedure for doing this should be straight forward:

1) Mount the DVD
2) Install three RPMS
3) Run WelcomCenter

I've followed these steps and I believe that everything is installed (see below.) However, I am prompted for a username and password. The only user on the system so far is root and I can authenticate with that, but after authentication I'm given an error message:

Link to image of error

Here's what I've thought of so far:

It could have been an authentication error -- however, if I enter a fake username and password it fails before this error.

SELinux issues: I disabled SELinux and the error persists.

The PAM-authenticate RPM was not installed: I double checked and it is installed:

rpm -qa | grep PAM
PAM-authenticate-2.0-2

The root user is not allowed: I created a new user "jebalicki" and was able to authenticate, but got the same error message.

The other toolkit RPMS were not installed: I double checked those as well:

rpm -qa | grep wui
wui-2.0-1
wui_core-1.0-1

I also installed httpd, in case that was an unlisted requirement. That didn't help and has been removed.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Updated on 2009-02-23T12:01:36Z at 2009-02-23T12:01:36Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    104 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Authentication issues with WelcomeCenter after RHEL 5 installation.

‏2009-02-18T13:18:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Dear jebalicki,

Unfortunately IBM Installation Toolkit 3.0 does not support installations with Multipath configs and LVM. We see these two features as high priority ones, and they'll be probably added on some future release. I'm glad you were able to run the installation thru RHEL itself.

Regarding the procedure to install the WelcomeCenter in a previously installed system, you are right, it's very straightforward, but our documentation is lacking one pre-requisite, which is a package called "pam-devel". We started using PAM to authenticate the user in version 3, and somehow the documentation was not updated accordingly.

So, in order to get WelcomeCenter running in your system, you'll need to install these rpms:

• wui
    • wui_core
    • PAM-authenticate
    • pam-devel (In RHEL you'll find that there are 2 packages, a pam-devel.ppc and pam-devel.ppc64. The pam-devel.ppc will do the trick)

The first 3 packages you'll find in IBM Installation Toolkit's media, and the pam-devel package you'll find in RHEL's media. It also worth notice that these same packages are necessary for any SLES install, as well.

We have already fixed the documentation, which will be available in our next version - 3.1

Thanks for pointing us to this issue, and let us know if you need anything else :D

Kind regards,
    Alex
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      104 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T15:23:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I got past that hurdle, but now I'm getting:

Please, select the device you would like to use from the list below:
      1) /dev/scd0
      Select [1]:1
      Ejecting cd drive...
      Please, insert IBM Installation Toolkit CD into selected CD-ROM drive and press enter when ready...

Unable to find the IBM Installation Toolkit CD in any of the available optical devices!

Please, select the device you would like to use from the list below:
      1) /dev/scd0
      Select [1]:

I don't have a disk in the drive, but I do have the ISO in the /tmp directory and had it mounted via loopback.

Is there any difference between using the WelcomeCenter to install the RPMs on the disk and just installing the RPMs from the command line?

A suggestion for future enhancements would be to allow the WelcomeCenter to use an ISO image.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        104 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T15:44:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        One more issue:

I installed all the RPMs listed in the WelcomeCenter application from the command line, with the exception of the powerpc-utils RPMs. There is a conflict with other installed RPMs:

root@slsdl1 RPMS# rpm -Uvh powerpc-utils-*
        Preparing... ########################################### 100%
        file /usr/sbin/activate_firmware from install of powerpc-utils-papr-1.0.3.2-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        file /usr/sbin/rtas_event_decode from install of powerpc-utils-papr-1.0.3.2-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        file /usr/sbin/rtas_ibm_get_vpd from install of powerpc-utils-papr-1.0.3.2-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        file /usr/sbin/serv_config from install of powerpc-utils-papr-1.0.3.2-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        file /usr/sbin/set_poweron_time from install of powerpc-utils-papr-1.0.3.2-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        file /usr/sbin/sys_ident from install of powerpc-utils-papr-1.0.3.2-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        file /usr/sbin/uesensor from install of powerpc-utils-papr-1.0.3.2-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        file /usr/sbin/usysattn from install of powerpc-utils-papr-1.0.3.2-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        file /usr/sbin/usysident from install of powerpc-utils-papr-1.0.3.2-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        file /usr/sbin/nvram from install of powerpc-utils-1.0.6-0.ppc64 conflicts with file from package ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc
        root@slsdl1 RPMS#

I'm not sure if these RPMs were installed via the RHEL install or via the Systems Director install (Systems Director is up and running, but not yet configured. Removing it at this point would not be detrimental.)
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          104 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T16:24:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          ppc64-utils is installed by the RHEL installer, and there is a chain of dependencies going back pretty far keeping me from uninstalling ppc64-utils and installing the powerpc-utils from the Toolkit disk.

Advice?
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            104 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T17:01:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Regarding the ppc64-utils, could you tell me which level of RHEL5 are running? Is it RHEL5 GA, Update 1, 2 or 3?

Thanks!
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              104 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T17:06:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              It was installed off of 5.2 media, but has been updated to 5.3 via a yum update.

cat /etc/redhat-release
              Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        104 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T16:36:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        That's correct. We first try to use any configured http/nfs/ftp server, and if none was found then we fallback to physical media. We haven't add the ability to use a mounted ISO, but this is a very nice enhancement (also easy to include). Will put that on our list :D

Thanks!
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          104 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T17:00:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          To be clear, you're saying that there is no difference between installing the RPMs with the WelcomeCenter and installing them via rpm on the command line, right?

Also, could you address the ppc-util powerpc-util conflicts?

Thanks.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            104 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T17:08:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            The only difference between installing them using the rpm command is that you wont have the nice interface to guide you through the installation, and you'll need to know which one can be installed in your system (there are some rpms that are for P6 hardware only, or for HMC managed machines only...).

But yes, you can get the rpms and install them by hand, just like any other rpm you get from the internet.

I'm taking a look in the ppc64-utils dependency problem, and will get back with an answer soon :)

Thanks!
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              104 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T17:08:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Yeah, sorry, I think we're out of sync in our responses. :)

I'll stop posting like a madman for a while and let you do your thing.
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                104 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T17:50:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                LOL :) No problem at all, people can search the thread and find what they want... Just keep coming with the questions :D

So, back to the ppc64-utils issue. When installing the rpms from within Welcomeceter, you'll notice that powerpc-utils and powerpc-utils-papr packages will not be installed in RHEL5 systems. This happens because these packages are needed only in RHEL4 and SLES9 installations...

In RHEL5 installations, you can use ppc64-utils instead, as it provides you all the tools from powerpc-utils and powerpc-utils-papr.

Let me know if things worked well there :D

Thanks.
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  104 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T18:41:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  It's good to know that the powerpc-utils are not required in RHEL 5, however there is no indication that this is the case when using the WelcomeCenter. They are available for selection (see the image linked below) and attempting to follow the support statement link results in the error message (the second linked image.)

ppc-utils

support statement error

I did follow the instructions given in that error message, but I kept receiving the error.

At this point I don't really need any more help since I have everything installed, I just want to make sure you guys are seeing this stuff.

Also, is there a way to post images here without having to host them at a third party site? At some point our network guys are probably going to block imageshack, if only to make my life more difficult. :)
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    104 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T19:45:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    Good, I'm glad you got everything installed :)

I'll check the issues you found there an open a bug on our internal bugzilla to keep track on this. You are correct, powerpc-utils and powerpc-utils-papr should not appear in the selection page (however, they won't be installed anyway).

About sending images to the forum, I don't think it's possible :/ But I'll ask some folks from DeveloperWorks and let you know.

Best regards,
                    Alex
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    104 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-23T12:01:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    Hi jebalicki,

I asked some folks from the forum and it seems not possible to include images in the posts :/

Regards,

Alex