Topic
  • 12 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-04-09T20:15:37Z by kimwall
Jmorriss
Jmorriss
17 Posts

Pinned topic FYI - Rational Support Open Mic - ClearCase Remote Client 7.0.1/7.1

‏2009-02-10T16:32:01Z |
Hello ClearCase Community,

IBM Rational Clearcase Support would like to welcome you to the first Clearcase Open Mic conference call.

Date: Tuesday February 17th 2009
Time: 1pm-2pm Eastern Time
Topic: ClearCase Remote Client 7.0.1/7.1
Conference telephone numbers:
Participants, Tie: 650-2010
Participants, Toll: 719-325-2428
Participants, Toll free: 888-542-1139
Confirmation Code: 5372524
Title: ClearCase Remote Client Open Mic call

This will be a phone conference only, there will be no accompanying webcast. The intent of this conference is to have a casual discussion with IBM Rational Support, to share thoughts, ideas, and information to enable all attendees on the topic.

This discussion will not cover future product direction or the status/progress on open RFEs, APARs or PMRs.

The conference will be moderated to keep the call moving and to appropriately triage issues/concerns to PMRs as needed.

Anyone planning on attending that would like to proffer a question or idea for discussion beforehand, or anyone who cannot attend and would like a question or thought added to the discussion, please post here on this thread.

Every effort will be made to speak to all items posted here, time permitting, in the conference.

For additional detail on the Rational Open Mic Program please see --> Link:Rational Open Mic Landing Page
Thank you.
Jay Morrissey - jmorriss@us.ibm.com
Kelly Drahzal - kdrahzal@us.ibm.com
Updated on 2009-04-09T20:15:37Z at 2009-04-09T20:15:37Z by kimwall
  • elcorm
    elcorm
    1 Post

Re: FYI - Rational Support Open Mic - ClearCase Remote Client 7.0.1/7.1

‏2009-02-16T18:39:45Z  
    Will the funcationality to deliver baselines to alternate targets be available in the newer version of the clients, and to have more administrative functionality included (deleting versions on the version tree - deleting the brtype for an element for a few)

Thanks

Louise
  • Jmorriss
    Jmorriss
    17 Posts

‏2009-02-17T14:27:07Z  
    • elcorm
    • ‏2009-02-16T18:39:45Z
    Will the funcationality to deliver baselines to alternate targets be available in the newer version of the clients, and to have more administrative functionality included (deleting versions on the version tree - deleting the brtype for an element for a few)

Thanks

Louise
    Hello Louise,

Thank you very much for posting here on the OpenMic thread.

The question you posed:

"Will the funcationality to deliver baselines to alternate targets be available in the newer version of the clients, and to have more administrative functionality included (deleting versions on the version tree - deleting the brtype for an element for a few)"

should be opened as a PMR with IBM Rational Support. My colleagues in support will be more than happy to assist in setting your expectations as to the availability that feature in a future release.

Its an excellent question, but future product direction is not part of the scope of this OpenMic event.

Thank you.
    • Jay Morrissey jmorriss@us.ibm.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts

‏2009-02-26T00:15:54Z  
    • Jmorriss
    • ‏2009-02-25T14:44:50Z
    Hello Folks,

Thanks to all of you who attended and participated in the 2/17/09 CCRC 7.0.1/7.1 event.

Special thanks to Fred Bickford and Louise Kormier for sharing their thoughts and ideas on the topic.

For those who are interested and could not attend, an MP3 of the session can be found on OpenMic Landing page at Link: OpenMic Landing Page

Further events are being scheduled. If any readers of this post have suggestions for future topics please send them to Jay Morrissey.

Thank you.

Martina Riedel posted the following, but a gateway problem prevented it from being added to the web.

the open mic link didn't make it into the email (grumble) and the one is the post is 20 lines long (more grumble). here is the short URL
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27015073

and the mp3 isn't there yet and the 2 past sessions claim that they have mp3's but they don't have any links.

Martina
    I'm sorry I missed this. I have a number of questions about CCRC after some experience over the past few weeks.

The time wasn't ideal for me anyway. The recording doesn't seem to be coming up on the site?

Regards,
    Mark
  • Jmorriss
    Jmorriss
    17 Posts

‏2009-02-26T12:05:43Z  
    I'm sorry I missed this. I have a number of questions about CCRC after some experience over the past few weeks.

The time wasn't ideal for me anyway. The recording doesn't seem to be coming up on the site?

Regards,
    Mark
    Hello Mark,

I am sorry you missed this event too, but I am happy to hear of your interest.

There are other events being planned so keep an eye to this forum. If you have suggestions on topics you'd like to see discussed, please send me an email and I'll put them on the list.

I've rectified the issues with the MP3 not being available from the landing page, please have a go. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, and have a good day.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts

‏2009-02-26T15:04:48Z  
    • Jmorriss
    • ‏2009-02-26T12:05:43Z
    Hello Mark,

I am sorry you missed this event too, but I am happy to hear of your interest.

There are other events being planned so keep an eye to this forum. If you have suggestions on topics you'd like to see discussed, please send me an email and I'll put them on the list.

I've rectified the issues with the MP3 not being available from the landing page, please have a go. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, and have a good day.
    Hi Jay,

I've just listened to the call. Sorry I missed it. It sounds like you had a small and/or quiet audience. I have several things I would have brought up that might have livened things up a bit so here they are...

I've recently been helping a client plan a large scale CCRC 7.1 roll out with a UCM branching project model. They will have 70+ staff using CCRC as their ONLY ClearCase interface. A handful of staff will use the full client. As part of this exercise I created a new one day course for them around their planned deployment strategy and then delivered it for them over several sessions to most of their staff. I made notes of issues we discovered during the exercise. They haven't gone live with it yet but plan to soon.

I have paraphrased/sanitized the issues we discovered a little and list some of these items below. They aren't in any particular order. None of the issues mentioned below has been raised as a PMR (yet). We do have a PMR open on one other issue but I think that is an environment issue.

1. Sometimes the installer run from the launchpad.exe crashes or fails silently in Windows XP. If you go down to the next level lower directory and run install.exe that seems to do the trick.

2. We have seen many Null Pointer Exceptions. Sometimes a refresh will fix it. In some cases you will need to exit CCRC and restart it. If you click on something before the last operation is completely finished it can lead to either NPE or Discordance. It could be that the server isn't tuned well and that this is causing the problems, but even so this doesn't look great. If it isn't tuned well it should just run slow, not throw exceptions.

3. We had several "Discordance" errors (less than NPEs). Sometimes Refresh/Repair will fix it. Often however this isn't enough and you will need to exit/restart.

4. The Merge dialog from within the Version Tree browser appears to be not functioning. I.e. If I right click on a version and select "merge to view selected version" nothing seems to happen.

5. The History Browser in CCRC allows you to look at the history of a single element but that is it. The window offers an edit/select all option but no copy option. My customer would like to be able to grab and post it into a document etc. There is no way to do this in CCRC at present. Also the History browser doesn't show all the history (eg it doesn't include labelling events). You can't select columns to display, etc. Its a long way short of the full client History browser. In addition CCRC command line doesn't provide lshistory so you can't roll your own either.

6. The annotate command should be supported in both the ccrc gui and command line (at least the command line to be equivalent to full ClearCase. Full CC has never had a gui for annotate but that is another problem).

7. There are several Project Explorer functions that would help enormously... you can't create projects remotely for example. Or browse/compare baselines. At a minimum I'd like to be able to compare baselines. Developers like to know what has changed in the latest baseline and there is no easy way to do this in CCRC.

8. The merge/diff tools are a little broken... the default internal merge tool that fires up inside the eclipse shell doesn't let you edit the result of the merge during the merge at all. This is a backwards step from the current "traditional" (or external) merge tool. You can change the default to fire up the external merge by default instead but it doesn't seem to always honor this choice for merges or diffs and will on occasion still use the internal diff/merge. The release notes claim that you can use "Eclipse" merge too... I can't see a way to do that (ref: https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cchelp/v7r1m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.clearcase.help.ic.doc/topics/c_whatsnew.htm).

9. I'm concerned about the memory requirements of the 7.1 implementation for CCRC on the server. Besides all the traditional vob server processes the Websphere JVM uses approx 1 Gb of memory, numerous additional processes get spawned including MANY ccrpc.exe instances. I haven't had time to investigate properly. I just did a quick test... I just did connect, expand a view, expand the vob, expand one directory inside of that. Now I have four ccrpc.exe running. Granted each one is quite small (all around 10-12Mb of real memory), but if I multiply that by 60 simultaneous users I foresee problems arising. So far we've only had a maximum of around 15 simultaneous users and there are certainly a lot of processes running when we did so.

10. At one point a couple of days ago my eclipse workspace for ccrc got corrupted somehow (it is auto created at C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\.Rational\CCRC71) - I couldn't connect to the server any more. In desperation I removed the workpace and let it get re-created. Then all was OK.

11. If you happen to have to connect to a multisited vob things will work as long as the mastership is OK. However you can't see branch mastership in properties dialogs or do any sort of mastership transfer.

On the plus side... CCRC 7.1 is way better than the previous incarnations. I was interested to see some features in CCRC that aren't in full ClearCase. For example, the ability to automatically kick off a make baseline gui after the successful completion of a delivery and the exhaustive options for setting defaults on all ClearCase menus. Its good to see a command line now available too even if it doesn't yet offer everything the full client command line does. I'm looking forward to what happens in subsequent releases.

Regards,
    Mark
  • kellypuffs
    kellypuffs
    6 Posts

‏2009-02-26T15:15:13Z  
    Hi Jay,

I've just listened to the call. Sorry I missed it. It sounds like you had a small and/or quiet audience. I have several things I would have brought up that might have livened things up a bit so here they are...

I've recently been helping a client plan a large scale CCRC 7.1 roll out with a UCM branching project model. They will have 70+ staff using CCRC as their ONLY ClearCase interface. A handful of staff will use the full client. As part of this exercise I created a new one day course for them around their planned deployment strategy and then delivered it for them over several sessions to most of their staff. I made notes of issues we discovered during the exercise. They haven't gone live with it yet but plan to soon.

I have paraphrased/sanitized the issues we discovered a little and list some of these items below. They aren't in any particular order. None of the issues mentioned below has been raised as a PMR (yet). We do have a PMR open on one other issue but I think that is an environment issue.

1. Sometimes the installer run from the launchpad.exe crashes or fails silently in Windows XP. If you go down to the next level lower directory and run install.exe that seems to do the trick.

2. We have seen many Null Pointer Exceptions. Sometimes a refresh will fix it. In some cases you will need to exit CCRC and restart it. If you click on something before the last operation is completely finished it can lead to either NPE or Discordance. It could be that the server isn't tuned well and that this is causing the problems, but even so this doesn't look great. If it isn't tuned well it should just run slow, not throw exceptions.

3. We had several "Discordance" errors (less than NPEs). Sometimes Refresh/Repair will fix it. Often however this isn't enough and you will need to exit/restart.

4. The Merge dialog from within the Version Tree browser appears to be not functioning. I.e. If I right click on a version and select "merge to view selected version" nothing seems to happen.

5. The History Browser in CCRC allows you to look at the history of a single element but that is it. The window offers an edit/select all option but no copy option. My customer would like to be able to grab and post it into a document etc. There is no way to do this in CCRC at present. Also the History browser doesn't show all the history (eg it doesn't include labelling events). You can't select columns to display, etc. Its a long way short of the full client History browser. In addition CCRC command line doesn't provide lshistory so you can't roll your own either.

6. The annotate command should be supported in both the ccrc gui and command line (at least the command line to be equivalent to full ClearCase. Full CC has never had a gui for annotate but that is another problem).

7. There are several Project Explorer functions that would help enormously... you can't create projects remotely for example. Or browse/compare baselines. At a minimum I'd like to be able to compare baselines. Developers like to know what has changed in the latest baseline and there is no easy way to do this in CCRC.

8. The merge/diff tools are a little broken... the default internal merge tool that fires up inside the eclipse shell doesn't let you edit the result of the merge during the merge at all. This is a backwards step from the current "traditional" (or external) merge tool. You can change the default to fire up the external merge by default instead but it doesn't seem to always honor this choice for merges or diffs and will on occasion still use the internal diff/merge. The release notes claim that you can use "Eclipse" merge too... I can't see a way to do that (ref: https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cchelp/v7r1m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.clearcase.help.ic.doc/topics/c_whatsnew.htm).

9. I'm concerned about the memory requirements of the 7.1 implementation for CCRC on the server. Besides all the traditional vob server processes the Websphere JVM uses approx 1 Gb of memory, numerous additional processes get spawned including MANY ccrpc.exe instances. I haven't had time to investigate properly. I just did a quick test... I just did connect, expand a view, expand the vob, expand one directory inside of that. Now I have four ccrpc.exe running. Granted each one is quite small (all around 10-12Mb of real memory), but if I multiply that by 60 simultaneous users I foresee problems arising. So far we've only had a maximum of around 15 simultaneous users and there are certainly a lot of processes running when we did so.

10. At one point a couple of days ago my eclipse workspace for ccrc got corrupted somehow (it is auto created at C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\.Rational\CCRC71) - I couldn't connect to the server any more. In desperation I removed the workpace and let it get re-created. Then all was OK.

11. If you happen to have to connect to a multisited vob things will work as long as the mastership is OK. However you can't see branch mastership in properties dialogs or do any sort of mastership transfer.

On the plus side... CCRC 7.1 is way better than the previous incarnations. I was interested to see some features in CCRC that aren't in full ClearCase. For example, the ability to automatically kick off a make baseline gui after the successful completion of a delivery and the exhaustive options for setting defaults on all ClearCase menus. Its good to see a command line now available too even if it doesn't yet offer everything the full client command line does. I'm looking forward to what happens in subsequent releases.

Regards,
    Mark
    Hi Mike

I wish you were on the call too - definitely would have livened things up. :-)

As it was our first open-mic call, attendance was low, but we have every hope that as people learn of the calls, we'll grow.

I'll leave Jay and the other CCRC experts to answer your questions, but it sounds like we have plenty of material (and interest) for another call.

Stay tuned!

And thanks for your input!
  • kellypuffs
    kellypuffs
    6 Posts

‏2009-02-26T15:16:59Z  
    Hi Mike

I wish you were on the call too - definitely would have livened things up. :-)

As it was our first open-mic call, attendance was low, but we have every hope that as people learn of the calls, we'll grow.

I'll leave Jay and the other CCRC experts to answer your questions, but it sounds like we have plenty of material (and interest) for another call.

Stay tuned!

And thanks for your input!
    Mark, I'm SORRY for messing up your name! That's what I get for rushing off a reply.
  • Jmorriss
    Jmorriss
    17 Posts

‏2009-02-27T05:01:58Z  
    Hello Folks,

Thanks to all of you who attended and participated in the 2/17/09 CCRC 7.0.1/7.1 event.

Special thanks to Fred Bickford and Louise Kormier for sharing their thoughts and ideas on the topic.

For those who are interested and could not attend, an MP3 of the session can be found on OpenMic Landing page at Link: OpenMic Landing Page

Further events are being scheduled. If any readers of this post have suggestions for future topics please send them to Jay Morrissey.

Thank you.

Martina Riedel posted the following, but a gateway problem prevented it from being added to the web.

the open mic link didn't make it into the email (grumble) and the one is the post is 20 lines long (more grumble). here is the short URL
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27015073

and the mp3 isn't there yet and the 2 past sessions claim that they have mp3's but they don't have any links.

Martina
    Updated on 2009-02-27T05:01:58Z at 2009-02-27T05:01:58Z by Jmorriss
  • Jmorriss
    Jmorriss
    17 Posts

‏2009-02-27T12:49:08Z  
    Hi Jay,

Regards,
    Mark
    Hi Marc,

EXCELLENT! Thank you for your interest and questions, these are just spankin!

I have engaged my colleague in CAG here in Support, Fred Bickford, and he will be responding to your post as soon as he is able.

Have a good day!

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts

‏2009-02-27T19:21:53Z  
    Hi Jay,

Regards,
    Mark
    Hope this helps.........

FRED
    I would suggest possibly considering installting CCRC into an Eclipse IDE(such as the Eclipse SDK) this allow of benefits to this, I identify some in my whitepaper (I have to do some updating for 7.1 but the logic is still applicable) http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=984&uid=swg27010633, I personally see the benefit of IM installs, yet also know that if there is a simple less complex deployment mechanism, as a techie, I seek out the simple path :-)

FRED
    Lumping the two above together, discordance is a result of the client not agreeing with the state of an object with the state on the server, this can happen for some very good reasons(normal) like network connectivity issues, etc... yet using doing a restore resource from higher up in the directory tree usually can resolve(ie: sync) the view, I wrote this to explain discordance: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21305088 yet I have found very few circumstances in the many customers where restore doesn't correct the condition, a few have been defects that we have fixed, a few have been environmental things such as customers triggers etc...

FRED
    Works fine for me, sometimes takes a few seconds, yet if it never comes up(check to see what your settings in #8 are), then please open a PMR with a vtree -all -merge from the command line in a similar config spec'd native client..

I think #5,6,7 are very valid Request For Enhancements, please submit those to http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/support/rational/rfe/?PROD_ID=1 if you have not done so already for #6 you may also want to look at http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/462/luo.html I remember them asking me for some CC input some time ago,. and the concept of the tool looked interesting....

The merge configs are via a preference:

<see attached>
    if you are running into a merge conflict or issue, please open a PMR with the usecase and repro steps and we can assist.

FRED
    The ccrpc server in 7.1 should keep itself fairly trimmed and there was some significant work in the consideration of that logic, no doubt CM server is a larger memory foot print than RWP, yet with running on WAS there are some beneifts and tradeoffs, with expanded locad balancing, and eventually )hopefully) clustering support) the enterprise scalability of 7.1 architecture will yield better benefits...
    Also you should apply the changes laid out here http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21317658 this is a WAS thing, yet is something you should do for CM server(no adverse impact to CM Server)

10. At one point a couple of days ago my eclipse workspace for ccrc got corrupted somehow (it is auto created at C:\Documents and Settings\\.Rational\CCRC71) - I couldn't connect to the server any more. In desperation I removed the workpace and let it get re-created. Then all was OK.
    FRED
    Well the downfall to the stand-alone CCRC client it is a single hardcoded path workspace and locks or even some fs issues do occur with any eclipse workspace, something that using the approach above(standard Eclipse) would at least let you workaround or possibly control a bit more

FRED
    More CCMS support is coming, yet I agree that some MS use cases are missing, although most CCRC customers I think use CCRC for replacement of CCMS., make sure there are RFE's for any specific use case for your CCMS needs...

-Fred Bickford
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts

‏2009-02-27T21:29:30Z  
    Hope this helps.........

FRED
    I would suggest possibly considering installting CCRC into an Eclipse IDE(such as the Eclipse SDK) this allow of benefits to this, I identify some in my whitepaper (I have to do some updating for 7.1 but the logic is still applicable) http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=984&uid=swg27010633, I personally see the benefit of IM installs, yet also know that if there is a simple less complex deployment mechanism, as a techie, I seek out the simple path :-)

FRED
    Lumping the two above together, discordance is a result of the client not agreeing with the state of an object with the state on the server, this can happen for some very good reasons(normal) like network connectivity issues, etc... yet using doing a restore resource from higher up in the directory tree usually can resolve(ie: sync) the view, I wrote this to explain discordance: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21305088 yet I have found very few circumstances in the many customers where restore doesn't correct the condition, a few have been defects that we have fixed, a few have been environmental things such as customers triggers etc...

FRED
    Works fine for me, sometimes takes a few seconds, yet if it never comes up(check to see what your settings in #8 are), then please open a PMR with a vtree -all -merge from the command line in a similar config spec'd native client..

I think #5,6,7 are very valid Request For Enhancements, please submit those to http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/support/rational/rfe/?PROD_ID=1 if you have not done so already for #6 you may also want to look at http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/462/luo.html I remember them asking me for some CC input some time ago,. and the concept of the tool looked interesting....

<see attached>
    if you are running into a merge conflict or issue, please open a PMR with the usecase and repro steps and we can assist.

FRED
    The ccrpc server in 7.1 should keep itself fairly trimmed and there was some significant work in the consideration of that logic, no doubt CM server is a larger memory foot print than RWP, yet with running on WAS there are some beneifts and tradeoffs, with expanded locad balancing, and eventually )hopefully) clustering support) the enterprise scalability of 7.1 architecture will yield better benefits...
    Also you should apply the changes laid out here http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21317658 this is a WAS thing, yet is something you should do for CM server(no adverse impact to CM Server)

10. At one point a couple of days ago my eclipse workspace for ccrc got corrupted somehow (it is auto created at C:\Documents and Settings\\.Rational\CCRC71) - I couldn't connect to the server any more. In desperation I removed the workpace and let it get re-created. Then all was OK.
    FRED
    Well the downfall to the stand-alone CCRC client it is a single hardcoded path workspace and locks or even some fs issues do occur with any eclipse workspace, something that using the approach above(standard Eclipse) would at least let you workaround or possibly control a bit more

FRED
    More CCMS support is coming, yet I agree that some MS use cases are missing, although most CCRC customers I think use CCRC for replacement of CCMS., make sure there are RFE's for any specific use case for your CCMS needs...

-Fred Bickford
    Thanks Fred. I'm replying in here for any interested observers. This thread is getting too long/large to carry on in this form much longer I think. After this round I'm presuming any issues will be carried on in PMRs/enhancement requests/the ccrc wiki...

FRED

MARK
    I take your point but this customer is really nearly a 100% Windows shop. This is the first and only Eclipse that nearly all their developers have. Whilst it might be better to install CCRC into an another Eclipse I think customers should have an expectation that the default install should install properly and work satisfactorily.

FRED

MARK
    Thanks for the reference. Your implication is that anything that is unresolvable should be reported to support I guess. The challenge is that these situations usually aren't easy to reproduce. I'll try and get the customer to be aware of the situation and attempt to capture more information if it happens more frequently.

FRED

MARK
    Thanks. Will do.

FRED

MARK
    OK. I will get the customer to do this. There was an RFE for #6 (ID: 342/RATLC00988370) or at least that is how I interpret that one. Should #6 be reopened or should they raise a new one?

FRED

MARK
    We are aware of the preferences dialog, but thats where things diverge... I can see "Eclipse" merge on the list in your email reply but I can't see it from the CCRC installed via IM. So it must be only available if you've installed CCRC into another Eclipse I guess? This may also explain some of the other differences we're seeing from you. We might have to revisit the deployment strategy for the customer if this is the case. We'll investigate further.

FRED
    The ccrpc server in 7.1 should keep itself fairly trimmed and there was some significant work in the consideration of that logic, no doubt CM server is a larger memory foot print than RWP, yet with running on WAS there are some beneifts and tradeoffs, with expanded load balancing, and eventually )hopefully) clustering support) the enterprise scalability of 7.1 architecture will yield better benefits...

MARK
    Thanks for that reference. Is there a reference to it from any of the CCRC docs or technotes? If not there probably should be. I'm make sure the customer does it and we'll monitor the situation on going.

10. At one point a couple of days ago my eclipse workspace for ccrc got corrupted somehow (it is auto created at C:\Documents and Settings\userid\.Rational\CCRC71) - I couldn't connect to the server any more. In desperation I removed the workpace and let it get re-created. Then all was OK.

FRED

MARK
    Again this makes sense but the product should work as installed. If it happens again I'll capture as much detail as possible and raise a PMR

FRED

MARK
    In this case the customer is division of large existing ClearCase using customer. Other divisions have a long standing use of CCMS. My customer's team will need to interact with other divisions in some cases. They'd like to be able to use CCRC whether they are connecting to their standalone projects or to the existing multisite systems. I'll get them to investigate RFEs appropriately.
  • kimwall
    kimwall
    13 Posts

‏2009-04-09T20:15:37Z  
    Thanks Fred. I'm replying in here for any interested observers. This thread is getting too long/large to carry on in this form much longer I think. After this round I'm presuming any issues will be carried on in PMRs/enhancement requests/the ccrc wiki...

FRED

MARK
    I take your point but this customer is really nearly a 100% Windows shop. This is the first and only Eclipse that nearly all their developers have. Whilst it might be better to install CCRC into an another Eclipse I think customers should have an expectation that the default install should install properly and work satisfactorily.

FRED

MARK
    Thanks for the reference. Your implication is that anything that is unresolvable should be reported to support I guess. The challenge is that these situations usually aren't easy to reproduce. I'll try and get the customer to be aware of the situation and attempt to capture more information if it happens more frequently.

FRED

MARK
    Thanks. Will do.

FRED

MARK
    OK. I will get the customer to do this. There was an RFE for #6 (ID: 342/RATLC00988370) or at least that is how I interpret that one. Should #6 be reopened or should they raise a new one?

FRED

MARK
    We are aware of the preferences dialog, but thats where things diverge... I can see "Eclipse" merge on the list in your email reply but I can't see it from the CCRC installed via IM. So it must be only available if you've installed CCRC into another Eclipse I guess? This may also explain some of the other differences we're seeing from you. We might have to revisit the deployment strategy for the customer if this is the case. We'll investigate further.

FRED
    The ccrpc server in 7.1 should keep itself fairly trimmed and there was some significant work in the consideration of that logic, no doubt CM server is a larger memory foot print than RWP, yet with running on WAS there are some beneifts and tradeoffs, with expanded load balancing, and eventually )hopefully) clustering support) the enterprise scalability of 7.1 architecture will yield better benefits...

MARK
    Thanks for that reference. Is there a reference to it from any of the CCRC docs or technotes? If not there probably should be. I'm make sure the customer does it and we'll monitor the situation on going.

10. At one point a couple of days ago my eclipse workspace for ccrc got corrupted somehow (it is auto created at C:\Documents and Settings\userid\.Rational\CCRC71) - I couldn't connect to the server any more. In desperation I removed the workpace and let it get re-created. Then all was OK.

FRED

MARK
    Again this makes sense but the product should work as installed. If it happens again I'll capture as much detail as possible and raise a PMR

FRED

MARK
    In this case the customer is division of large existing ClearCase using customer. Other divisions have a long standing use of CCMS. My customer's team will need to interact with other divisions in some cases. They'd like to be able to use CCRC whether they are connecting to their standalone projects or to the existing multisite systems. I'll get them to investigate RFEs appropriately.
    Hi Mark!

I'm interested in #4 on your list. I'm having the same problem with a new install of the CCRC standalone client. I have not yet tested with the Eclipse plugin. Did modifying your settings help? Mine seem to be set to use the CCRC Integrated (UTF-8) tool but I still get no response when I try to initiate a merge from the version tree.

We will be applying the latest fix in our test environment soon, but I just thought I'd see if you ever had a resolution to this.

Thanks in advance for your info!

Thanks!
    Kim