Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-02-17T16:16:39Z by SystemAdmin
jjacobso
jjacobso
6 Posts

Pinned topic Processor compatibility documentation: Linux on POWER6/POWER5

‏2009-02-06T18:28:25Z |
I'm looking for information regarding Processor compatibility with Linux distributions on POWER6 and POWER5.
Something similar to the following link --> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/systems/library/es-bincomp/index.html?S_TACT=105AGX03&S_CMP=EDU
Anyone have any links??
Thanks! John
Updated on 2009-02-17T16:16:39Z at 2009-02-17T16:16:39Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

Re: Processor compatibility documentation: Linux on POWER6/POWER5

‏2009-02-11T15:34:21Z  
    Just curious.. what are you specifically looking for? That older paper covers quite a bit of ground across fairly old technologies.

In general, RHEL 5.x and SLES 10 sp x will fully support / exploit / take advantage of Power 5 and Power 6 systems. The newer the service update, the better off you are.

The older distros (RHEL 4 and SLES 9) are generally missing updates which minimize some of the awkward code sequences on Power 6 which are possible.

Things like gcc versions, IBM Java versions, IBM compiler versions, SMT support, Advance Toolchain, all get incrementally better over time.

Binary compatibility is a whole separate topic... generally dependent on the Distro and how well behaved the application is.

Bill
  • jjacobso
    jjacobso
    6 Posts

‏2009-02-12T03:40:54Z  
    Just curious.. what are you specifically looking for? That older paper covers quite a bit of ground across fairly old technologies.

In general, RHEL 5.x and SLES 10 sp x will fully support / exploit / take advantage of Power 5 and Power 6 systems. The newer the service update, the better off you are.

The older distros (RHEL 4 and SLES 9) are generally missing updates which minimize some of the awkward code sequences on Power 6 which are possible.

Things like gcc versions, IBM Java versions, IBM compiler versions, SMT support, Advance Toolchain, all get incrementally better over time.

Binary compatibility is a whole separate topic... generally dependent on the Distro and how well behaved the application is.

Bill
    Hi Bill - Thanks for the response...
    I'm working with an ISV who is looking for specific documentation about backwards/forwards application compatibility running on POWER5/POWER6 Linux. They are interested in compiling on POWER6 and still being able to run that same executable on POWER5 w/o recompilation. I explained that this really should not be a problem from a hardware architecture standpoint, but really depends on which compiler you use and how you decide to compile your code. If using an updated compiler, this may provide options to exploit features available only on POWER6.

I believe the ISV is just looking for a statement from Redhat or Novell to address the issue of application compatibility specifically on POWER including references to POWER5 & POWER6. Something like this --> http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhel4/AppCompat.pdf, but for RHEL5 and POWER6. I told them I would look for them since I did not have anything specifically...thought I would reach out to the forums. I also made them aware that the use of the Linux Standard Base (LSB) can help with application and binary compatibility across platforms which may be something to look at to maintain one source code tree.

Thanks!
    John
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

‏2009-02-17T16:16:39Z  
    • jjacobso
    • ‏2009-02-12T03:40:54Z
    Hi Bill - Thanks for the response...
    I'm working with an ISV who is looking for specific documentation about backwards/forwards application compatibility running on POWER5/POWER6 Linux. They are interested in compiling on POWER6 and still being able to run that same executable on POWER5 w/o recompilation. I explained that this really should not be a problem from a hardware architecture standpoint, but really depends on which compiler you use and how you decide to compile your code. If using an updated compiler, this may provide options to exploit features available only on POWER6.

I believe the ISV is just looking for a statement from Redhat or Novell to address the issue of application compatibility specifically on POWER including references to POWER5 & POWER6. Something like this --> http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhel4/AppCompat.pdf, but for RHEL5 and POWER6. I told them I would look for them since I did not have anything specifically...thought I would reach out to the forums. I also made them aware that the use of the Linux Standard Base (LSB) can help with application and binary compatibility across platforms which may be something to look at to maintain one source code tree.

Thanks!
    John
    Ah, ok. I'll get some stuff posted for you.

In general, based on perceptions..

- it mostly depends on the compiler options which we can document some examples

- going backwards rarely seems to work

- assuming you compile generically (not optimized for a processor level) the executables should run across the hardware systems

- going cross-distro may work.. but getting distro support would be interesting..

For cross-distro's, I'm aware that some ISVs would like to build on one base (be it SUSE or RedHat) and run on both. Sometimes that may work.. not sure how that would be formalized.