12 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-02-04T13:09:56Z by ivan.andrisek
ivan.andrisek
ivan.andrisek
12 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic startcollector.sh script errors

‏2009-02-02T13:40:18Z |
Hi all,
I am trying to collect data on AIX 5.3, WAS v6.1 using latest IBM Support Assistant Data Collector Tool (with VCE plugin v1.0.13.1).

Can I run this script as any user?

I don't want to execute this script as root user (since there is no info what does the script perform on the filesystem)
My WAS process is running as non-root user, which I used to execute startcollector.sh script.

after choosing for which products I want perform collection (WAS only) the first error message appears:

1st error message:
WPLR0004E: Error writing version report to /PLRTOutput.xml: com.ibm.ci.invtool.core.ReportException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /PLRTOutput.xml (The file access permissions do not allow the specified action.)
but the script execution continues.
after that I enter the install dir for WAS, the collection starts. List of profiles comes wrong:

• Input the profile name of your WebSphere Application Server
  • WebSphere Application Server profile name:
  • 1: Dmgr01
  • 2: AppSrv01
2009.02.02 14
  • 3: 30
  • 4: 38 com.ibm.wsspi.profile.WSProfileCLI invokeWSProfile
INFO
  • 5: Returning with return code
  • 6: INSTCONFSUCCESS
  • 7: Collect All Profiles

instead of just Dmgr01 and AppSrv01...

I choose Dmgr01 only and the execution breaks message:

"The collection has ended due to an error."

If anybody has an idea of what am i doing wrong.... ?

Thank you!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
log file autopdinstance******.log (just the end of it):
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://2009.02.02-14.32.52.609+0100 Step 8: Running WebSphere Application Server exporter
Ready to run exporter
Running exporter for Dmgr01
Current directory is /home/svivan/WAS_Collect/VCETools
Deleting: /home/svivan/WAS_Collect/VCETools/output/Dmgr01.websphere.wasexport.log
Deleting: /home/svivan/WAS_Collect/VCETools/output/Dmgr01.websphere.configuration
Deleting: /home/svivan/WAS_Collect/VCETools/output/Dmgr01.websphere.log
Exported configuration will be saved to /home/svivan/WAS_Collect/VCETools/output/Dmgr01.websphere.configuration
collection.only.no.topology: true
start_wps_for_xmlaccess_collection_only_v61_plus entry
start_wps_for_xmlaccess_collection_only_v61_plus exit

http://2009.02.02-14.33.50.205+0100 Step 9: Creating the autopd-collection-info manifest file
Copying 1 file to /home/svivan/WAS_Collect/tmp/tmp_2009.02.02-14.26.48.529+0100/autopd
problem.type.isSet: true
autopdts.isSet: true
user.locale.isSet: true
os.name.isSet: true
user.locale.isSet: true
was.product.version.isSet: true
was.root.trimmed.isSet: true
Profile Name: Dmgr01
was.profile.path.trimmed: [2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.wsspi.profile.WSProfileCLI getMaskableArgs
INFO: Maskable Action Arguments: { "winservicePassword" ,"adminPassword" ,"dmgrAdminPassword" ,"samplesPassword" ,"password" ,"adminPwd" }
2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.wsspi.profile.WSProfileCLI invokeWSProfile
INFO: Incoming command line is: { "-getPath" ,"-profileName" ,"Dmgr01" }
2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.ws.profile.cli.WSProfileCLIModeInvoker getArgumentValue
WARNING: Could not resolve templatePath from command line
2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.ws.profile.cli.WSProfileCLIModeInvoker getArgumentValue
WARNING: Could not resolve templatePath from command line
INFO: profileName was resolved to Dmgr01
INFO: profileName was resolved to Dmgr01
WARNING: Could not resolve registry from command line
2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.wsspi.profile.WSProfile getRegistryFile
INFO: Return profile registry location as: /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/properties/profileRegistry.xml
2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.ws.profile.cli.WSProfileCLIModeInvoker getProfileRegistryPath
INFO: Profile registry being used is: /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/properties/profileRegistry.xml
2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.ws.install.configmanager.osutils.PlatformConstants getCurrentPlatform
INFO: Current platform was detected as AIX
2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.ws.profile.utils.FileUtils getNormalizedPath
INFO: The path /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/Dmgr01 was sucessfully normalized to /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/Dmgr01
INFO: The path /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/cell/dmgr was sucessfully normalized to /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/cell/dmgr
INFO: The path /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01 was sucessfully normalized to /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01
INFO: The path /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/cell/default was sucessfully normalized to /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/cell/defau
lt
2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.ws.profile.registry.FSProfileRegistry getScriptPathForThisProfile
INFO: The script path for this profile: Dmgr01:/usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/Dmgr01:truefalse, is: /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/properties/fsdb/Dmgr01.s
h
2009.02.02 14:33:52 com.ibm.ws.profile.registry.FSProfileRegistry getScriptPathForThisProfile
INFO: The script path for this profile: AppSrv01:/usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01:falsefalse, is: /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/properties/fsdb/App
Srv01.sh
/usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/Dmgr01]
Profile directory not found.
The Websphere Application Server profile directory cannot be located
Updated on 2009-02-04T13:09:56Z at 2009-02-04T13:09:56Z by ivan.andrisek
  • bdelima
    bdelima
    124 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: startcollector.sh script errors

‏2009-02-02T14:28:31Z  in response to ivan.andrisek
    Please upgrade your VCE installation (both the VCE tool add-on and the VCE Topology Collector product add-on) to the latest levels via the ISA v4 update facility. Note that with the latest version, you can also collect WAS config information using the Headless Automation Runtime. The latest version does not require any special privileges to run. As a general rule, if the userid can run wsadmin commands, then the collectors and exporter should work fine.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    123 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-02T14:49:04Z  in response to ivan.andrisek
    Ivan,
    All testing of the VCE Topology Collector on AIX has been with a root login. The script for running a WebSphere Application Server collection on AIX only writes to the directory where the collector is installed. Running scripts on AIX without root access rights is problematic.

Gary Dudley
    dudleyg@us.ibm.com
    • ivan.andrisek
      ivan.andrisek
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-02T15:16:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thank you for your quick response!

@bdelima

could you give me a (simple) example of using Headless Automation Runtime?

@GaryDudley
      I have noticed that the script tries to create/read/write to /tivoli/ folder which is not documented apartently. Could you verify this?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    123 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-02T15:50:15Z  in response to ivan.andrisek
    I'm not aware of any attempt to write to the tivoli directory. I will investigate further if you send me the log that led you to think so.

You will find some directions for using the headless environment for WebSphere Application Server collections in the ISA workbench help (Tool: Visual Configuration Explorer -> Reference -> Providers ->IBM WebSphere Provider). Also once you install the headless environment, look at the automation-example.xml file.

Gary Dudley
    dudleyg@us.ibm.com
    • ivan.andrisek
      ivan.andrisek
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-03T08:54:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      The log files are attached.
      notice the line 110 in file autopdinstance2009.02.03-09.40.55.802+0100.log

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Ivan
      • ivan.andrisek
        ivan.andrisek
        12 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-03T08:55:59Z  in response to ivan.andrisek
        Seems that I missed the attach in previous mail..
      • ivan.andrisek
        ivan.andrisek
        12 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-03T08:59:06Z  in response to ivan.andrisek
        I sincerly apologize - google chrome sucks if you want to upload a file...
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          123 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-03T15:07:53Z  in response to ivan.andrisek
          I see; it's the inventory tool that attempts to access the /tivoli directory. That tool includes code written by the Tivoli folks. When running a collection, you can choose to "skip" running the inventory tool; in that case, there should be no attempt to access the /tivoli directory.

Gary Dudley
          dudleyg@us.ibm.com
          • ivan.andrisek
            ivan.andrisek
            12 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-03T15:14:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Thanks for the info, i'll check it out!

What about this error (mentioned in first post):
            1st error message:
            WPLR0004E: Error writing version report to /PLRTOutput.xml: com.ibm.ci.invtool.core.ReportException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /PLRTOutput.xml (The file access permissions do not allow the specified action.)

I am still very concerned not to change any WebSphere files' permissions from my non-root to root user if I run the script as root...
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              123 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-03T16:13:41Z  in response to ivan.andrisek
              I believe the attempt to write the PLRTOutput.xml file is also from the inventory tool.
              Try skipping the inventory tool to see if the error message goes away.

I do not believe the scripts change any permissions for WebSphere files. To be super careful, you can try running from the headless environment as Bob suggested.

Gary Dudley
              dudleyg@us.ibm.com
              • ivan.andrisek
                ivan.andrisek
                12 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-04T13:08:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                I switched to headless environment and it works fine!

Thanks for all the help!

Ivan Andrisek
  • ivan.andrisek
    ivan.andrisek
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-04T13:09:56Z  in response to ivan.andrisek
    Using ISA Collector is buggy on AIX, so I switched to using Headless Runtime Environment (as documented in VCE Tools Help)