IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 51 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-10-28T06:23:15Z by cognos1021
dtremain
dtremain
455 Posts

Pinned topic DPR-ERR-2056 The Report Server is not responding - why?

‏2009-01-30T19:40:36Z |
With 8.4, I am occasionally getting a DPR-ERR-2056 error when attempting to run a burst report in the scheduler.
The entire message is:
DPR-ERR-2056 The Report Server is not responding. Handler trace back: the_dispatcher com.cognos.pogo.handlers.performance.PerformanceIndicationHandler the_dispatcher com.cognos.pogo.handlers.logic.ChainHandler service_lookup com.cognos.pogo.handlers.engine.ServiceLookupHandler load_balancer com.cognos.pogo.handlers.logic.ChainHandler lb_forwarder com.cognos.p2plb.clerver.LoadBalanceHandler batchreportservicechain com.cognos.pogo.handlers.logic.ChainHandler warptask_with_authenticate com.cognos.pogo.handlers.logic.ChainHandler do_batch_warp com.cognos.pogo.handlers.logic.ChainHandler warptaskmtaChain com.cognos.pogo.handlers.logic.ChainHandler warptaskmta com.cognos.pogo.reportservice.BatchReportServerHandler
Updated on 2013-01-26T03:41:31Z at 2013-01-26T03:41:31Z by SystemAdmin
  • whatever890
    whatever890
    31 Posts

Re: DPR-ERR-2056 The Report Server is not responding - why?

‏2009-06-02T14:25:53Z  
    Hi David,

Did you ever figure out what was causing this error? We're getting it about 10% of the time since our upgrade to 8.4 and Support is being less than, well, supportive.

Thanks.
  • dtremain
    dtremain
    455 Posts

‏2009-06-02T14:31:03Z  
    Hi David,

Did you ever figure out what was causing this error? We're getting it about 10% of the time since our upgrade to 8.4 and Support is being less than, well, supportive.

Thanks.
    Nope. Haven't seen it for several months until it popped up again last weekend on a scheduled report. Good luck with support right now - if you can even reach them...
  • Benjaaz
    Benjaaz
    10 Posts

‏2009-06-10T16:16:38Z  
    • dtremain
    • ‏2009-06-02T14:31:03Z
    Nope. Haven't seen it for several months until it popped up again last weekend on a scheduled report. Good luck with support right now - if you can even reach them...
    I have received this error a lot. Sometimes it's because I am trying something that isn't currently capable in version 8.2 but will run in our 8.4 sandbox so it's something they fixed. At other times it could be a server memory or cache problem. In your case it's probably a runaway process or cache problem.
  • zonny
    zonny
    7 Posts

‏2009-08-19T15:31:20Z  
    Hi David,

Have you had any luck with this issue?

My users have been experiencing this since we upgraded to 8.4. I don't remember having this issue when we're still at 8.3.

It seems to happen only when saving and sending the report by e-mail. It works fine if we only save or view the report.
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2009-08-19T16:18:59Z  
    • zonny
    • ‏2009-08-19T15:31:20Z
    Hi David,

My users have been experiencing this since we upgraded to 8.4. I don't remember having this issue when we're still at 8.3.

It seems to happen only when saving and sending the report by e-mail. It works fine if we only save or view the report.
    I remember seeing this in 8.2. It eventually went away after installing the service packs..

They were quite chunky reports what I remember, a restart of the services used to help.

Try to schedule a restart of the services using a batch job and see if this helps...

Hope this 8.4 is not going back to the bad old days of reportnet!!

We have 8.4 but are only using Powerplay8 at the moment.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

‏2010-02-26T08:20:24Z  
    • zonny
    • ‏2009-08-19T15:31:20Z
    Hi David,

Hi Zonny

Have you got any solution for this error,In my case the user getting the same error from couple of months onwards,that to he is getting this error at 9:00 AM to 10:00Am At us timings,

please share with me if You got any solution for this error,

Thanks in Advance
    Chalapti
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

‏2010-02-26T16:29:38Z  
    I'm on 8.4 FP2 and get this error intermittently. According to support this is a known bug in 8.4 and there is a patch (hotsite) available to fix it. You would have to open a ticket and send them the cogserver.log with this error. They would then review it, verify that the error that you are getting is infact valid and send you the patch.
    I have not installed the patch yet so cannot confirm that the issue gets fixed but what they said did make sense
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2010-03-27T00:32:38Z  
    I'm on 8.4 FP2 and get this error intermittently. According to support this is a known bug in 8.4 and there is a patch (hotsite) available to fix it. You would have to open a ticket and send them the cogserver.log with this error. They would then review it, verify that the error that you are getting is infact valid and send you the patch.
    I have not installed the patch yet so cannot confirm that the issue gets fixed but what they said did make sense
    Our 8.4 sp2 server is failing with this error a lot..I have logged a call with cognos and hope for a fix..did anyone have a bug number...

I had another error that related to a dpr err 2057 pid server not responding and have the patch but the dpr err 2056 error happens at least 5 times a times a week.8.2 had this issue until fix pack 2 came out..

It's quite embarrassing when you spend so much on an app,licences and you have to bounce the server 4 times a week.

Our 8.2 has been up for 6mon - 1 year without bouncing!!

Imagine spending $100000 on a car that kept breaking down 5 times per week.nonsense

I prefer the stability of 8.2
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

‏2010-03-27T01:43:37Z  
    Our 8.4 sp2 server is failing with this error a lot..I have logged a call with cognos and hope for a fix..did anyone have a bug number...

I had another error that related to a dpr err 2057 pid server not responding and have the patch but the dpr err 2056 error happens at least 5 times a times a week.8.2 had this issue until fix pack 2 came out..

It's quite embarrassing when you spend so much on an app,licences and you have to bounce the server 4 times a week.

Our 8.2 has been up for 6mon - 1 year without bouncing!!

Imagine spending $100000 on a car that kept breaking down 5 times per week.nonsense

I prefer the stability of 8.2
    http://businessintelligence.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/cognos-reportnet-l/error-dprerr2056-1596979

or

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21343380

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21370964

http://www.cogknowhow.com/index.php/cognos-error-base/203-dpr-err-2056
    I follow the second link method to solve the problem. it might help you some what.

Winson.
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2010-03-27T18:56:14Z  
    http://businessintelligence.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/cognos-reportnet-l/error-dprerr2056-1596979

or

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21343380

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21370964

http://www.cogknowhow.com/index.php/cognos-error-base/203-dpr-err-2056
    I follow the second link method to solve the problem. it might help you some what.

Winson.
    Thanks it's none of these.

We use oracle 10g.the reports run sometimes and fail on other days..

I think it's a bug.it's random..normal reports that run in 10 mins can run for hours then fail..cognos are looking at it..
    Restart of the server fixes it for a while.we have 16gb ram with no other thing running..It's one of most powerful servers in the building.help anyone!!!
    We want to go live soon but it's so unstable..try explaining to the business that you need to restart the services every night..that's crazy..
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2010-03-27T19:59:36Z  
    Thanks it's none of these.

We use oracle 10g.the reports run sometimes and fail on other days..

I think it's a bug.it's random..normal reports that run in 10 mins can run for hours then fail..cognos are looking at it..
    Restart of the server fixes it for a while.we have 16gb ram with no other thing running..It's one of most powerful servers in the building.help anyone!!!
    We want to go live soon but it's so unstable..try explaining to the business that you need to restart the services every night..that's crazy..
    we have upgraded to 10g oracle on the DB..I have found something on the IBM site that client has to be upgrade to 10g also....i need to check that next that
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

Re: DPR-ERR-2056 The Report Server is not responding - why? is this a bug?

‏2010-03-31T16:26:05Z  
    we have upgraded to 10g oracle on the DB..I have found something on the IBM site that client has to be upgrade to 10g also....i need to check that next that
    Has anyone found this to be a bug..Our reports fail at least 5 times per week on diferent reports. IBm are investigation...

A bug number or fix would be appreciated.

John
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

‏2010-03-31T16:49:10Z  
    Has anyone found this to be a bug..Our reports fail at least 5 times per week on diferent reports. IBm are investigation...

A bug number or fix would be appreciated.

John
    I used to get this error intermittently when i tried to run some heavy reports.
    After looking at the logs IBM identified this as a known bug and sent me a Hotsite fix

This is what they had said about the issue

At a high-level, what happens is that the Cognos report server is sending a report execute request to a BiBus process that has already killed itself off due to an idle timeout. This immediately triggers the DPR-ERR-205 error message and causes the report to fail.
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2010-03-31T17:52:21Z  
    I used to get this error intermittently when i tried to run some heavy reports.
    After looking at the logs IBM identified this as a known bug and sent me a Hotsite fix

This is what they had said about the issue

At a high-level, what happens is that the Cognos report server is sending a report execute request to a BiBus process that has already killed itself off due to an idle timeout. This immediately triggers the DPR-ERR-205 error message and causes the report to fail.
    Can you post the bug no please.IBM are asking us silly questions to get to the root of the problem,which I know have nothing to do with the problem

A bug number would prove us right that it's a bug.

Thanks
    john
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

‏2010-03-31T20:45:08Z  
    Can you post the bug no please.IBM are asking us silly questions to get to the root of the problem,which I know have nothing to do with the problem

A bug number would prove us right that it's a bug.

Thanks
    john
    John,

Unfortunately IBM did not provide me with the bug#.
    According to them this is a well known bug in all 8.4 streams.
    Sending them the cogserver.log with the error would expedite the process
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

‏2010-03-31T21:10:07Z  
    John,

Unfortunately IBM did not provide me with the bug#.
    According to them this is a well known bug in all 8.4 streams.
    Sending them the cogserver.log with the error would expedite the process
    This error message is somewhat of a generic one. The error does not point to one single cause. If you get a problem number through this thread then it will be unlikely that the problem number is going to match the scenario that you are encountering. You would be just as well off to upgrade your system to the latest and greatest release as you would to apply a fix for an issue that you aren't actually encountering. Support will eventually help you to narrow down the cause of the problem and this will likely be better than applying random patches to see if one of them fixes the problem.
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2010-04-01T10:14:40Z  
    This error message is somewhat of a generic one. The error does not point to one single cause. If you get a problem number through this thread then it will be unlikely that the problem number is going to match the scenario that you are encountering. You would be just as well off to upgrade your system to the latest and greatest release as you would to apply a fix for an issue that you aren't actually encountering. Support will eventually help you to narrow down the cause of the problem and this will likely be better than applying random patches to see if one of them fixes the problem.
    heres what IBM say.........

====================================================
    I've found a few interesting things in the logs that take the call in a different direction.

"QE-DEF-0469 QE Message" type="general">RQP-DEF-0543 Metadata will be retrieved from the database, because a simple DB query subject definition with matching metadata does not exist."

This leads me to believe that the main error could be caused by the report timing out - it seems to indicate that the data cannot be passed straight to the database and thus the report creates a large amount of local processing which increases the time a report takes to complete, the load on the BIBus and then as a result the report times out.

Large strings of SQL data are then following in the error log, so it doesn't seem all that far-fetched a theory.

This brings me back to .dmp files. DMP files are created when the BIBus goes down whilst executing a query. These would be located in the c8_directory/bin folder.
    If these are being created, this would be evidence to suggest that the BIBus is crashing in the way that I suggested.

With regards to your most recent email, yes, we're currently working on a similar issue in America with a client which makes me think that we'll be looking at a testcase as part of our resolution.

=========================
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2010-04-02T09:55:45Z  
    heres what IBM say.........

====================================================
    I've found a few interesting things in the logs that take the call in a different direction.

"QE-DEF-0469 QE Message" type="general">RQP-DEF-0543 Metadata will be retrieved from the database, because a simple DB query subject definition with matching metadata does not exist."

This leads me to believe that the main error could be caused by the report timing out - it seems to indicate that the data cannot be passed straight to the database and thus the report creates a large amount of local processing which increases the time a report takes to complete, the load on the BIBus and then as a result the report times out.

Large strings of SQL data are then following in the error log, so it doesn't seem all that far-fetched a theory.

This brings me back to .dmp files. DMP files are created when the BIBus goes down whilst executing a query. These would be located in the c8_directory/bin folder.
    If these are being created, this would be evidence to suggest that the BIBus is crashing in the way that I suggested.

With regards to your most recent email, yes, we're currently working on a similar issue in America with a client which makes me think that we'll be looking at a testcase as part of our resolution.

=========================
    Has anyone sucesss viewing and understanding the .dmp files?

By the sounds of things these have to be deleted.i dont want to turn them off yet until we get this nomsense sorted out with ibm
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2010-04-06T09:51:19Z  
    Has anyone sucesss viewing and understanding the .dmp files?

By the sounds of things these have to be deleted.i dont want to turn them off yet until we get this nomsense sorted out with ibm
    I,m losing the will to live now..

I cant believe lots of other people have not had this problem.

Erroring maybe 5 - 6 times per week now
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

‏2010-04-06T09:54:37Z  
    I,m losing the will to live now..

I cant believe lots of other people have not had this problem.

Erroring maybe 5 - 6 times per week now
    Get the dmp files to IBM development. From the dmp file they should be able to identify what the last action each thread was performing and which thread caused the fault. From personal experience, it would also help speed things up with them if you are able to provide a testcase which reproduces the issue. This may involve trying to narrow down the problem to specific reports or actions.
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2010-04-06T18:19:03Z  
    Get the dmp files to IBM development. From the dmp file they should be able to identify what the last action each thread was performing and which thread caused the fault. From personal experience, it would also help speed things up with them if you are able to provide a testcase which reproduces the issue. This may involve trying to narrow down the problem to specific reports or actions.
    Hi phil w,thanks for that.

Ibm indeed want to create a testcase(to try an replicate the issue on their environment)

problem is they want a copy of our entire oracle db and schema and data as well as fm model and reports.

This is an intermittant error and uk data protection laws prevent us from sending data.

How did you create a testcase??

Not really getting anywhere at the moment,i think ibm is fobbing us off
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

‏2010-04-06T21:42:28Z  
    Hi phil w,thanks for that.

Ibm indeed want to create a testcase(to try an replicate the issue on their environment)

problem is they want a copy of our entire oracle db and schema and data as well as fm model and reports.

This is an intermittant error and uk data protection laws prevent us from sending data.

How did you create a testcase??

Not really getting anywhere at the moment,i think ibm is fobbing us off
    In my case I was able to track it down to one or two reports so the testcase could be cut down to just the data for these reports.

It seems that the dmp files only contain the final thread state so the steps leading up to the problem don't really show up in the file. This seems to be why the testcase is so important for tracking down the final issue that is reported in the dmp file.
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

‏2010-04-07T16:44:14Z  
    In my case I was able to track it down to one or two reports so the testcase could be cut down to just the data for these reports.

It seems that the dmp files only contain the final thread state so the steps leading up to the problem don't really show up in the file. This seems to be why the testcase is so important for tracking down the final issue that is reported in the dmp file.
    Interestly i have narrowed it down to a few reports.these are upgraded from 8.2..

I tried as a last shot to copy out the querys to separate reports.a few copied out ok..

However when i copied a joined query i got a unstable report error and couldnt validate it..it validates okay in the normal report..

Giving an xml error when copying the query..i will try and rebuild the report and see if i still get this server not responding error
  • johnpenna250
    johnpenna250
    186 Posts

Re: DPR-ERR-2056 The Report Server is not responding - joins in report

‏2010-04-09T16:34:19Z  
    Interestly i have narrowed it down to a few reports.these are upgraded from 8.2..

I tried as a last shot to copy out the querys to separate reports.a few copied out ok..

However when i copied a joined query i got a unstable report error and couldnt validate it..it validates okay in the normal report..

Giving an xml error when copying the query..i will try and rebuild the report and see if i still get this server not responding error
    POSSIBLE SOLUTION....

Check if the report is migrated....ours that fail all are from 8.2 to 8.4

Check if the report has joins in the queries...

Try copying out the queries to a new report and doing anything... the report becomes unstable ..even though it validates in 8.4..Possible rewrite the report.

i think this is a bug...

Will let you know if creating a new report fixes the problem