Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-01-22T01:22:10Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2736 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Reading Excel data from a thin client to z/OS main frame

‏2009-01-21T21:34:33Z |
I have WAS running on z/OS with a DB2 backend. I have a thin-client browser, where the user can upload an excel file, with a column of data, which needs to be inserted into DB2.

Is there some kind of web-based control, which can read an excel file, and extract the contents? That page will consist of a text box, with a browse and upload buttons. I would rather not have to submit the excel file as a multi-part message, being that the Excel file is a binary, and z/OS will not be compatible with windows. But if I have to, I would, if someone can help.

Thanks in advance
Edward
Updated on 2009-01-22T01:22:10Z at 2009-01-22T01:22:10Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2736 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Reading Excel data from a thin client to z/OS main frame

‏2009-01-21T21:57:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

This is not really the right forum for this, but the following may help

http://poi.apache.org/

Apache POI is a collection of pure Java APIs to read and write MS Office formats. You could us this on the server side to read the data out of the uploaded file.

Or the other option may be to deploy a Java Applet on the client side to read the file and then upload the data. To get access to the local file system but you will probably need to sign the Applet in order to get the required permission.

Hope this helps,

Ben Hardill

p.s. I have never used POI but I have worked with customers who have. There are other options just google "java excel" for options.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2736 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Reading Excel data from a thin client to z/OS main frame

‏2009-01-22T01:22:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thank you very much and I really apologise for posting on the wrong forum. Do you think there will be any issue as the file starts from a Windows thin-client onto a z/OS Mainframe?