Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-06-22T11:50:14Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
23 Posts

Pinned topic Using Eclipse to interact with a remote z/OS file system

‏2009-01-20T12:32:09Z |
In the CA1S demo video, I used Eclipse RSE to create and edit files on the remote z/OS file system from my workstation. A number of people have asked how to get that environment set up - here's a quick tutorial:

1. Get Eclipse 3.4. Install Eclipse Target Management 3.0.2 or later (which includes Eclipse RSE).

2. Eclipse RSE can interact with remote systems using a number of protocols, including SSH, Telnet and FTP. Ensure your z/OS system is accessible using the protocol you intend to use. I used SSH, which requires that the remote z/OS system is running an SSH server.

3. In Eclipse, switch to the "Remote System Explorer" perspective and create a New Connection using the protocol of your choice:

4. Fill in your remote system details and hit finish:

5. Switch back to your development perspective (e.g. PHP or Java perspective) and create a new project. Right click your project and select "New Folder...".

6. Enter the name of your folder and Expand the "Advanced" section. Tick "Link to folder in the file system" and select "RSE" in the file system dropdown:

7. Hit "Browse". At the top of the browse window, select the connection you created in step 4. You will then be able to explore the remote file system and select the directory to which you want to link (you will be prompted for credentials to log in to the remote system):

8. You can now load and save files on the remote file system:

9. To handle a file in a specific code page, right click the file and select "Properties...", then set the encoding as appropriate. Note that EBCDIC code pages will not be visible in the default drop down list, but you can simply type in the code page name.

For more tooling that simplifies development on z/OS, see Rational Developer for System z.
Robin Fernandes
PHP runtime development
Updated on 2009-06-22T11:50:14Z at 2009-06-22T11:50:14Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    23 Posts

Re: Using Eclipse to interact with a remote z/OS file system

‏2009-05-18T17:10:53Z  
    Everything up to your point #9 works for me -- but "EBCDIC code pages will not be visible in the default drop down list, but you can simply type in the code page name." is not a true statement in my Eclipse. On that screen shown in #9 -- when setting the "other" file encoding of IBM1047, my Eclipse returns the error "The selected encoding is not supported".

I'll be looking for where the population of file encodings is maintained, and will update this post if I find a work around or assumed setting.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    23 Posts

‏2009-05-19T14:11:22Z  
    Everything up to your point #9 works for me -- but "EBCDIC code pages will not be visible in the default drop down list, but you can simply type in the code page name." is not a true statement in my Eclipse. On that screen shown in #9 -- when setting the "other" file encoding of IBM1047, my Eclipse returns the error "The selected encoding is not supported".

I'll be looking for where the population of file encodings is maintained, and will update this post if I find a work around or assumed setting.
    Hi Dave,

That's very interesting. Could you let us know which version of Java you are using?

Recent IBM and Sun JDKs should provide IBM1047 as part of the extended encoding set in lib/charsets.jar (see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html and http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&context=SSEQTP&dc=DB560&dc=DB520&uid=swg21221760&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct180websphere ).

Regards,
    Robin Fernandes
    PHP runtime development
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    23 Posts

‏2009-06-22T11:50:14Z  
    Hi Dave,

That's very interesting. Could you let us know which version of Java you are using?

Recent IBM and Sun JDKs should provide IBM1047 as part of the extended encoding set in lib/charsets.jar (see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html and http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&context=SSEQTP&dc=DB560&dc=DB520&uid=swg21221760&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct180websphere ).

Regards,
    Robin Fernandes
    PHP runtime development
    Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry this fell of my radar for a few weeks.

I had inferred from the previous response that my issue might have to do with my version of java, which, once I looked, found it to be at java 1.4.2_10 (mostly because I was trying to be in relative sync with the version I have on z/OS.) I tried Java 5 and 6, both from IBM and SUN. I also tried using the codepage aliases of the same "Cp1047", "IBM-1047", "ibm-1047" and "ibm1047".

"The selected encoding is not supported" error shows on the first keystroke within the "Text File Encoding" dropdown, and persists through to hitting the enter key. My take is that the value is being checked against the population in the drop down, so the whole concept of using unlisted values is questionable to me. Is there a setting in the IDE that might affect how this works? Where are the entries in the list populated from?