Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-03-30T16:06:48Z by vs_ddraper
vs_ddraper
vs_ddraper
24 Posts

Pinned topic Error - GUI Test Object - Test Object exists, but is not visible.

‏2009-01-09T21:28:40Z |
I have a script that has been working without problems for a long time. Recently on two of our test execution machines the script is failing. Any operation on a GUI Test Object will throw an exception similar to the appended to the end of this message. (In fact ALL scripts fail on these two machines.)

If I open the GUI Object map and try to highlight the object I will get the following error message "Test Object exists, but is not visible." I have a feeling this is a configuration issue however I have been unable to determine what the problem is. I have checked all settings and compared with another machine that works. I am really at a loss as to what the issues are and I am hoping to find a solution that does not involve wiping the machines hard drive and rebuilding it from scratch. Like I said, I have 7 test execution machines and 2 have the problem, the other 5 are fine. Same code, same object maps etc.

Dave Draper
QA Automation Lead
VeriSign

• exception_context = click() called on ToggleGUITestObject(Name: orderInfo_radio_validPeriod24, Map: orderInfo_radio_validPeriod24).
  • exception_name = java.awt.HeadlessException
  • exception_message = null
  • script_name = testScripts.HxAcceptanceScript
  • script_id = testScripts.HxAcceptanceScript.java
  • line_number = 131
  • exception_stack = at sun.awt.HeadlessToolkit.getScreenSize(Unknown Source)
at com.rational.test.ft.domain.html.HtmlGuiProxy.getClippingParentRectangle(Unknown Source)
at com.rational.test.ft.domain.html.HtmlGuiProxy.isInView(Unknown Source)
at com.rational.test.ft.domain.html.HtmlGuiProxy.click(Unknown Source)
at com.rational.test.ft.domain.html.HtmlGuiProxy.click(Unknown Source)
-
-
at com.rational.test.ft.object.interfaces.GuiTestObject.click(Unknown Source)
Updated on 2009-03-30T16:06:48Z at 2009-03-30T16:06:48Z by vs_ddraper
  • pabrams
    pabrams
    664 Posts

Re: Error - GUI Test Object - Test Object exists, but is not visible.

‏2009-01-11T02:07:02Z  
    Find whoever's been messing with them two machines and tell them to put it back the way it was.

But seriously,

It looks like someone's implemented some funny-looking proxy control code based on screen location. The problem likely has something to do with the video confiruation of those two machines... my guess would be screen resolution.
  • pabrams
    pabrams
    664 Posts

‏2009-01-11T02:10:36Z  
    • pabrams
    • ‏2009-01-11T02:07:02Z
    Find whoever's been messing with them two machines and tell them to put it back the way it was.

But seriously,

It looks like someone's implemented some funny-looking proxy control code based on screen location. The problem likely has something to do with the video confiruation of those two machines... my guess would be screen resolution.
    Or browser settings... depends on how those proxy objects are implemented.
  • vs_ddraper
    vs_ddraper
    24 Posts

‏2009-01-13T22:20:36Z  
    • pabrams
    • ‏2009-01-11T02:10:36Z
    Or browser settings... depends on how those proxy objects are implemented.
    I was able to solve the issue however I do not know what the problem was.

All tests are executed using the same domain account. In this case it is an account on our internal test network that has a username 'guitest'. I logged into one of two machines having the problem as a local admin. I then loaded Control Panel -> System -> Advanced - User Profiles -> Settings. This displays a list of user profiles for the machine. I selected the profile InternalTestNetwork\guitest and deleted it.

I logged out as local admin and then logged back in as the guitest user.

This created a new profile. When I loaded RFT I had to create a new workspace because it was deleted when I removed the profile. I created the new workspace, added the updated JRE that we use and added all the system libraries. I rebuilt the project from scratch and executed some tests. They worked.

I have no idea exactly what got corrupted or set incorrectly. All I know is that things are working now and I did not have to reformat the drives and reimage the machine.
  • vs_ddraper
    vs_ddraper
    24 Posts

‏2009-01-14T21:06:09Z  
    I was able to solve the issue however I do not know what the problem was.

All tests are executed using the same domain account. In this case it is an account on our internal test network that has a username 'guitest'. I logged into one of two machines having the problem as a local admin. I then loaded Control Panel -> System -> Advanced - User Profiles -> Settings. This displays a list of user profiles for the machine. I selected the profile InternalTestNetwork\guitest and deleted it.

I logged out as local admin and then logged back in as the guitest user.

This created a new profile. When I loaded RFT I had to create a new workspace because it was deleted when I removed the profile. I created the new workspace, added the updated JRE that we use and added all the system libraries. I rebuilt the project from scratch and executed some tests. They worked.

I have no idea exactly what got corrupted or set incorrectly. All I know is that things are working now and I did not have to reformat the drives and reimage the machine.
    This worked until Functional Tester was exited and then restarted. After that the problem returned. In addition a 3rd. machine developed the problem today. I have no choice to call support and open a ticket on this issue.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2009-03-09T16:12:44Z  
    This worked until Functional Tester was exited and then restarted. After that the problem returned. In addition a 3rd. machine developed the problem today. I have no choice to call support and open a ticket on this issue.
    Hello everyone.

I'm also having the same problem, and I can't track down the cause.

Did you solve the problem? Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2009-03-09T21:27:21Z  
    Hello everyone.

I'm also having the same problem, and I can't track down the cause.

Did you solve the problem? Thanks.
    I also recently ran into the same symptom. While I did not get the message "Test Object exists, but is not visible", I am getting the exception java.awt.HeadlessException as well. This occurs for me when trying to access a value in a drop down list. This is occuring on older scripts that were previously working as well as newly created scripts. I too am looking for resolution.
  • vs_ddraper
    vs_ddraper
    24 Posts

‏2009-03-23T19:27:46Z  
    I have spent way to much time attempting to solve this issue. We have opened support tickets with tech support and they have not been able to solve the issue. I have reproduced the problem with FT 7 and with FT 8.

Support for FT 6 has been discontinued so we have no choice but to upgrade to either 7 or 8. Problem is I am having assorted issues related to this exact problem with both versions. I am really at a loss as to what the problem is however it is a serious problem and it bothers me that no one from IBM can even tell me what the error message (Test Object exists, but is not visible.) means and under what circumstances it is generated.
  • pabrams
    pabrams
    664 Posts

‏2009-03-23T19:30:24Z  
    I have spent way to much time attempting to solve this issue. We have opened support tickets with tech support and they have not been able to solve the issue. I have reproduced the problem with FT 7 and with FT 8.

Support for FT 6 has been discontinued so we have no choice but to upgrade to either 7 or 8. Problem is I am having assorted issues related to this exact problem with both versions. I am really at a loss as to what the problem is however it is a serious problem and it bothers me that no one from IBM can even tell me what the error message (Test Object exists, but is not visible.) means and under what circumstances it is generated.
    Is it still only a problem with two particular machines?
  • vs_ddraper
    vs_ddraper
    24 Posts

‏2009-03-25T14:22:35Z  
    • pabrams
    • ‏2009-03-23T19:30:24Z
    Is it still only a problem with two particular machines?
    In our test lab the number of machines has increased to 4 making this a real problem.

I have reproduced the problem with clean installs of RFT 7 and RFT 8. I am creating a clean environment right now that I am going to use when I contact support and try to get this resolved.

In RFT 6 and RFT 7 the run-time exception is a java.awt.headless exception.
    In RFT 8 the exception is a Eclipse exception I have posted about in a different thread.
    In all environments attempt to highlight a GUI test object results in the error message about the object existing but not visible.
  • vs_ddraper
    vs_ddraper
    24 Posts

‏2009-03-30T16:06:48Z  
    In our test lab the number of machines has increased to 4 making this a real problem.

I have reproduced the problem with clean installs of RFT 7 and RFT 8. I am creating a clean environment right now that I am going to use when I contact support and try to get this resolved.

In RFT 6 and RFT 7 the run-time exception is a java.awt.headless exception.
    In RFT 8 the exception is a Eclipse exception I have posted about in a different thread.
    In all environments attempt to highlight a GUI test object results in the error message about the object existing but not visible.
    After months of fighting this problem and a few related problems we have solved the problem. After a few hours of configuration work all of our machines are back up and running.

The problem was caused by a mismatch of Java environments on the machines.

Our code required Java 1.5 however RFT 6 uses 1.4.2. We installed Java 1.5 on all machines and had them up and running. Some machines had automatic Java updates enabled which caused some machine to update to Java 1.6 and other not to. The updates also did not happen at the same time.

RFT was setup to use Java 1.5 however IE was using Java 1.6 and our application uses Applets.

I ran into a similar problem when we were testing the RFT 7 upgrade. Apparently RFT 7 is not compatable with Java 1.6.

Regardless, the solution is open Java settings from the Control Panel and make sure ALL JREs are disabled with the exception of the same JRE that RFT is using. We are using some Java extras in our test code so we need the Java Activation package and also JSSE so you need to make sure these jars are also from the same Java installation.

Once you get everything configured, reboot the machine and do a "Build Clean".