SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
32 Posts

Pinned topic RDF Enabled Web Sites

‏2009-01-08T13:25:23Z |
Hi.. Is semantic web still in its infancy or there are known web sites that
supports their web pages with rdf metadata.... If so please list some of
such web sites. I see Swoogle boasting of over 10000 rdf files...but since
this is the essentially the metadata, where are the web pages or documents whose metadata these rdf files ? Does publishing of independent rdf files really make any sense. I am aiming towards the development of a semantic web search engine that exploits the structured metadata about the web pages in rdf format...so needs to know does really such websites exists for which such a search engine can be realised ?
Many thanks in advance....
Updated on 2009-01-27T15:20:22Z at 2009-01-27T15:20:22Z by SystemAdmin
  • robertc
    robertc
    41 Posts

Re: RDF Enabled Web Sites

‏2009-01-09T01:10:35Z  
    Hi Ashish.

I'm not sure whether you mean RDF or RDFa in your question. I think it is perfectly valid to publish RDF files, many sites do this sort of thing, for example by publishing RSS feeds (and remember, RSS 1.0 is RDF) or by having APIs, but these are data not metadata. Presenting data in RDF format is just as valid as presenting data in HTML format, publishing in RDF allows your data to be more easily interpreted by computers and code whereas publishing in HTML favours human readers. RDFa gives the best of both worlds by adding metadata to an HTML document which means it can also be parsed as RDF - note the RDF itself is not metadata, so the data presented to human readers can also be easily parsed by agents and crawlers.

There aren't many major sites which have adopted RDFa, Digg has some and Yahoo! SearchMonkey will crawl it, but other than that it's more of a grass roots effort across a large number of smaller sites - there are several more examples on the rdfa.info wiki.

Rob
  • robertc
    robertc
    41 Posts

‏2009-01-14T23:40:38Z  
    Ashish, if you're still looking for sites, a case study has recently been published by the W3C A Linked Open Data Resource List Management Tool for Undergraduate Students at Plymouth University. The site uses the Talis Platform and can be seen in action here. Most of the pages have RDfa markup on them - for example, this page, mentioned in the case study, has 13 different RDF vocabularies linked (by my count). It also features direct manipulation of the RDF model on the client side using Javascript and RDFa (see the two paragraphs above the heading 'Interoperability of data' in the case study).

Rob
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    32 Posts

‏2009-01-27T15:20:22Z  
    Hi Rob,
    Thanks for providing the links to RDFa enabled web sites.Notably, there are only a few sites which currently supports RDFa annotation.But RDF/XML has been there since long.....it would be great if you can provide with some links to such sites which publish there data in html for humans and mime time text/rdf
    for computers/codes. Is there some database of semantically annotated web pages (RDFa or RDF/XXML ) available against which I may test/experiment my self designed search engine ? I expect w3c must have released some of them rather than just specifying standardization and long list of specifications......
    Also can u plz report some good quality web crawler....