Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-11T16:11:51Z by ana_a
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
15496 Posts

Pinned topic connectivity issue (how to configure local cognos machine hosted in india to get access to the datawarehouse database server in United States)

‏2009-01-07T21:07:09Z |
Venkata Guntupalli said:

Hi

I have Cognos Environment set up here in India with Content Store setup against Oracle box in Linux environement with oracle datadump in it and I have package imported and running cognos applications.

Now I have to run the cognos applications against US datawarehouse database server. Ususally we create data source connection and specify the connection information and run applications.

I have got the Package along with the data sources and logins and I imported them into my environment and when I am trying to query the package, i am getting problems in accessing it.

So now I have TNSNAMES.ORA entry for our development data warehouse in US and how and where I can configure my machine and how to tnsping the database.

Please see the error that I am getting when accessing the package or testing the data source.

Pls let me know more info i have to provide

Updated on 2009-01-07T21:07:09Z at 2009-01-07T21:07:09Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

Re: connectivity issue (how to configure local cognos machine hosted in india to get access to the datawarehouse database server in United States)

‏2009-01-07T21:07:09Z  
    Eswar Jajula said:

Hi Venkat,

From the error message, I see the DNS name is not found in the Cognos installed machine. I infer you are using Windows OS for Cognos machine.

Following things should be done before using DNS in CC:

1. Oracle Client (version in sync with server version) should be installed on the Cognos installed machine

2. Copy the tnsnames.ora file in the Network/admin folder of the installed Client oracle_home directory .

3. Create the DNS in the cognos installed machine and use it in the Cognos Connection.

I hope this will resolve the error.

-Eswar

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

Re: connectivity issue (how to configure local cognos machine hosted in india to get access to the datawarehouse database server in United States)

‏2009-01-07T21:07:09Z  
    Fayu Zhang said:

Yes; just do what Eswar suggested.

The image below shows you how to tnsping the database where CMSID is the DNS or SID:

Updated on 2009-01-07T21:07:09Z at 2009-01-07T21:07:09Z by SystemAdmin