Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-11T16:11:51Z by ana_a
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
15496 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic connectivity issue (how to configure local cognos machine hosted in india to get access to the datawarehouse database server in United States)

‏2009-01-07T21:07:09Z |
Venkata Guntupalli said:

Hi

I have Cognos Environment set up here in India with Content Store setup against Oracle box in Linux environement with oracle datadump in it and I have package imported and running cognos applications.

Now I have to run the cognos applications against US datawarehouse database server. Ususally we create data source connection and specify the connection information and run applications.

I have got the Package along with the data sources and logins and I imported them into my environment and when I am trying to query the package, i am getting problems in accessing it.

So now I have TNSNAMES.ORA entry for our development data warehouse in US and how and where I can configure my machine and how to tnsping the database.

Please see the error that I am getting when accessing the package or testing the data source.

Pls let me know more info i have to provide

Updated on 2009-01-07T21:07:09Z at 2009-01-07T21:07:09Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: connectivity issue (how to configure local cognos machine hosted in india to get access to the datawarehouse database server in United States)

‏2009-01-07T21:07:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Eswar Jajula said:

Hi Venkat,

From the error message, I see the DNS name is not found in the Cognos installed machine. I infer you are using Windows OS for Cognos machine.

Following things should be done before using DNS in CC:

1. Oracle Client (version in sync with server version) should be installed on the Cognos installed machine

2. Copy the tnsnames.ora file in the Network/admin folder of the installed Client oracle_home directory .

3. Create the DNS in the cognos installed machine and use it in the Cognos Connection.

I hope this will resolve the error.

-Eswar

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: connectivity issue (how to configure local cognos machine hosted in india to get access to the datawarehouse database server in United States)

‏2009-01-07T21:07:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Fayu Zhang said:

Yes; just do what Eswar suggested.

The image below shows you how to tnsping the database where CMSID is the DNS or SID:

Updated on 2009-01-07T21:07:09Z at 2009-01-07T21:07:09Z by SystemAdmin
  • This reply was deleted by ana_a 2013-09-11T16:17:07Z. Reason for deletion: Its cognos 10 not cognos 8