Topic
16 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-10-19T10:37:59Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47293 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic ClearCase SCM Adapter for Eclipse 3.4

‏2009-01-07T17:42:12Z |
I tried to install the ClearCase SCM Adapter for Eclipse 3.4 in Ganymede, however it doesn't show up in either the menu bar or in the preferences settings under team.

I have the patches applied for clearcase itself - I am able to use ClearCase SCM Adapter for Eclipse 3.3 just fine.

Eclipse
Version: 3.4.1
Build id: M20080911-1700
Updated on 2009-10-19T10:37:59Z at 2009-10-19T10:37:59Z by SystemAdmin
  • Paul.Galbraith
    Paul.Galbraith
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ClearCase SCM Adapter for Eclipse 3.4

‏2009-01-16T03:53:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I'm having the same problem with the 20081031A version of this plugin, it does not appear to work at all. The previous version (20080131A) did work for me.

In the eclipse error log I see a lot of messages like this for every project:

"Could not instantiate provider com.rational.clearcase.ccprovider_nature for project xxxxxxxxxx."

But there's not anything more helpful that I can see that indicates what the problem is.

The following messages were posted, but a gateway problem prevented them from being added to the web.

Brian Cowan wrote:
    If you have not already opened a PMR on this issue, I strongly recommend that you do so. I would also make sure that eclipse and SCM adaptor tracing are on, and be ready to send us the .log file...

Johannes Hausmann wrote:
    I had the same issue, the problem is, with 3.4 the plugin is not enabled after installation. Sadly there is no more option to enable it. But after "importing a existant project into workspace" I got a box which asked me weather I want to enable the plugin. Checking this and proceeding solved the problem. Afterwards all looked well! SCM in preferences-team and clearcase menu activated.

to this topic: does anybody know, how to get rid of the CVS entrys?
    Johannes
    Updated on 2009-01-16T03:53:45Z at 2009-01-16T03:53:45Z by Paul.Galbraith
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-01-14T21:50:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I'm having the same issue. I followed the instructions to install the plugin by adding the extensions folder, but when Eclipse restarts there is no menu and no Clearcase option under Customize Perspective.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-01-16T11:59:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Is there anybody having it working?

Had the impression it's depending on and/or conflicting with older items of

ClearCase Plugins

/

Uncatogorized

And I got

No repository found at http:
    //www3.software.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/rationalsdp/clearcase/60/update

Cheers,
    Veit.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-02T19:01:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I have the same problem.
      Does anybody found a solution ?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-03T19:27:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    1. Just create a new project and select "Create project from existing source". Point to the folder under your view. comp1 in the following example:

c:\viewstore\view\ comp1

2. Click Finish to create the project
    3. You will be prompt to enable the SCM adapter
    4. ClearCase shows up in the top menu bar.
    Harry
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-11T13:32:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I've found a solution for this problem:

Unpack SCM adapter into a new folder under eclipse/dropins, for instance com.rational.clearcase.win32-20081031A
    so you get

/eclipse/dropins/com.rational.clearcase.win32-20081031A/eclipse/features/...

Then start eclipse and...

Window -> Preferences
    General -> Capabilities (may not show up under some packages of eclipse, if not, find a solution of getting it elsewhere)
    Press Advanced
    Team -> and check ClearCase SCM Adapter

Now the menu shows up. Happy hacking!
  • mmatador22
    mmatador22
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T19:16:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    None of these solutions are working for me.

I've tried importing existing projects from a dynamic view, importing files / folders for a dynamic view, etc. to no avail.

My Eclipse 3.4 install doesn't have a Windows -> Preferences -> General -> Capabilities item.

Any one have any other ideas?

Pretty disappointing that IBM releases a plugin like this and none of the documented methods (Customize Perspective, Capabilities -> Team option methods) work.

mm22
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-19T15:49:10Z  in response to mmatador22
      you can use java -jar plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.100.v20080509-1800.jar -application org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command listFeatures to see what features are present, you may have a different string version of launcher(so replace yours with the above) in one of the previous posts I see someone had a repository error, yet that appeared to be a Remote Client related error.

Are you using com.rational.clearcase.win32-20081031A.zip ? from http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/content/03July/2500/2834/ClearCase/clearcase_plugins.html#download

usually I just copy in the plugins and features contents(I am lazy) and restart

Sometimes I confirm the enablement with:

java -jar plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.100.v20080509-1800.jar -application org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command enable -featureId com.rational.clearcase 7.0.0.20081031A

also if you create a java project and then go to share, if you click on show all wizards does SCM Adapater appears, I have sometimes used that(once you select that it will toggle the capabilites in Eclipse)

if not, open a support PMR and we can help you resolve it....

-Fred Bickford
      • mmatador22
        mmatador22
        6 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-19T23:39:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Fred,

Was able to use the trick you mentioned below:

also if you create a java project and then go to share, if you click on show all wizards does SCM Adapater appears, I have sometimes used that(once you select that it will toggle the capabilites in Eclipse)

Once I selected the "Show all wizards" check box, ClearCase SCM showed up in the list in the dialog box. Selecting ClearCase caused the ClearCase SCM Adapter to start. I'm able to check in / out, etc.

The ClearCase SCM adapter appears to stay enabled after restarting Eclipse.

Thanks for the tip!

mm22
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-02T14:10:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

I didn't see this thread, so I openned a new one about the same problem:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=253424

If I understand right the 7.0.0.20081031A version of the plugin has a known bug and can work after a workaround only. Will IBM release a new fixed version of the Rational ClearCase SCM Adapter plugin and if yes, when it is expected to be released?

Thank you
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-24T23:04:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    For the 3.4 SCM plugin, it's necessary to first enable the Capability as mentioned in IBM's instructions. What the instructions don't mention is that for many builds of Eclipse, including the J2EE one, the org.eclipse.sdk plugin isn't included and without that the Preferences->General->Capabilities page won't exist.

The solution is to add the org.eclipse.sdk_341 plugin. If you have internet access from your dev environment you should get it from the Eclipse update site via Help->Software Updates. Otherwise you can unzip the attached one into your c:\eclipse\dropins directory -- for me at least it didn't complain about any dependant plugins being missing. Restart Eclipse and you should find that the Capabilities page will now be visible and you can then follow the steps in the instructions to activate the SCM plugin.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-25T06:25:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      This technote should help you to resolve the problem =)

-Eric
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        47293 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-25T06:25:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21366758
        • ehallander
          ehallander
          4 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-08T18:06:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          While all of these solutions appear to be helpful, so far, none of them have worked for me.

Ganymede 3.4 installed on Linux Redhat 4.4

I tried both the 0808A and 1031A clearcase adapters. I have run the java command to enable the features, and see them enabled when I list the features.

I have added the

UIActivities.com.rational.clearcase=true

to my org.eclipse.ui.workbench.prefs file in my workspace

I loaded the eclipse_sdk_34.zip file into my installation and was then able to see the Help->Preferences->General->Capabilities option from which using the Advanced... settings I was able to see the SCM adapter, yet, still after all that, re-starting eclipse fails to display the Clearcase menu.

I have tried the new project, share option, and there is no Clearcase SCM option available.

So. Are there any other ideas to get this working. I am ready to throw in the towel and return to the sourceforge adapter.

Thanks
          Eric
          • ehallander
            ehallander
            4 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-08T18:38:32Z  in response to ehallander
            Ok, so I finally got it installed and recognized. The IBM instructions worked once I first installed the SDK update mentioned above, and then from the Capabilities option enabling the Classic Update option.

With the Classic update option enable, now Help->Software Updates->Manage Configuration... is available, and then it installed correctly and now I am good to go.

Cheers
            Eric
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-10-19T10:37:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    We have problem (but only in one client) with 20080131A version.
    When adding new a RAD project to version control it wont promt the window where files are listed and after all it actually take nothing to under version control

It do not give any error message and it even add view name after RAD project (to RADs Enterprise Explorer -view) so it looks like it have take something under the version control.