• Latest Post - ‏2009-01-20T21:32:02Z by SystemAdmin
yarongolan
yarongolan
93 Posts

Pinned topic 8000 characters perl line limitation

‏2009-01-07T14:24:24Z |
Hi,
Is it a documented problem?

It looks like every time I try to insert such file, the Clear Case fails.
  • msiegel
    msiegel
    411 Posts

Re: 8000 characters perl line limitation

‏2009-01-07T22:59:09Z  
    Those subscribed to the maillist got these original messages, so this will be a duplicate. Several people posted messages on Jan 7 but a gateway problem prevented them from being added to the web. I am doing this now manually. I apologize for the troubles. Marc

David Darby wrote:

> Hi,
    > Is it a documented problem?

Yes, it is a documented limitation (maximum line length = 8,000 characters) of the text_file type manager.

One of the changes in feature level 5 that was released with 7.0 was HTML and XML files (associated type managers) was changed to be based on the binary_file type manager instead of the text_file type manager. This solved the 8,000 character line length limit for those file types as the binary_file type manager doesn't have any line length limitation.

However, the down side is HTML and XML files can no longer be merged, as the binary_file type manager doesn't support it.

We reverted the HTML and XML type manager changes after upgrading to feature level 5, and manually "chtype" individual files that are generated and have long lines to binary_files instead because 99% of our files we want to be able to merge, and only 1% of them long lines.

YMMV.
    -David

Seth Narayanan wrote:

What is the file type of that particular element ?
    Regards,
    Seth

Marc Siegel
    IBM Rational developerWorks Community Manager
    408.705.0666 (personal cell), email: marcsiegel at us.ibm.com
  • Padraig_J_Nolan
    Padraig_J_Nolan
    9 Posts

‏2009-01-20T18:08:26Z  
    • msiegel
    • ‏2009-01-07T22:59:09Z
    Those subscribed to the maillist got these original messages, so this will be a duplicate. Several people posted messages on Jan 7 but a gateway problem prevented them from being added to the web. I am doing this now manually. I apologize for the troubles. Marc

David Darby wrote:

> Hi,
    > Is it a documented problem?

Yes, it is a documented limitation (maximum line length = 8,000 characters) of the text_file type manager.

One of the changes in feature level 5 that was released with 7.0 was HTML and XML files (associated type managers) was changed to be based on the binary_file type manager instead of the text_file type manager. This solved the 8,000 character line length limit for those file types as the binary_file type manager doesn't have any line length limitation.

However, the down side is HTML and XML files can no longer be merged, as the binary_file type manager doesn't support it.

We reverted the HTML and XML type manager changes after upgrading to feature level 5, and manually "chtype" individual files that are generated and have long lines to binary_files instead because 99% of our files we want to be able to merge, and only 1% of them long lines.

YMMV.
    -David

Seth Narayanan wrote:

What is the file type of that particular element ?
    Regards,
    Seth

Marc Siegel
    IBM Rational developerWorks Community Manager
    408.705.0666 (personal cell), email: marcsiegel at us.ibm.com
    As mentioned, changing the type manager for the individual files is the best way to get around this problem. As well as merges having to be performed manually, another related issue with this is that you can't perform version differences within ClearCase either (so compare with previous from the version tree won't work for example as it now thinks the file is binary), so it's best to use this sparingly.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2009-01-20T20:44:08Z  
    As mentioned, changing the type manager for the individual files is the best way to get around this problem. As well as merges having to be performed manually, another related issue with this is that you can't perform version differences within ClearCase either (so compare with previous from the version tree won't work for example as it now thinks the file is binary), so it's best to use this sparingly.
    There's one other thing to consider... why are the lines longer than 8000 characters in the first place?

In my experience this is usually caused by the file being generated by some tool. What is important and usually overlooked is that nearly always it is possible to manually edit the file, add a few new lines into it, and ClearCase is happy. More importantly the tool that generated the file doesn't care either but it will usually preserve whatever changes you've made. So - if you fix it the first time (before you add to source control) you don't have any problem.

I've seen this in some Java tools and in Powerbuilder.

Regards,

Mark
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2009-01-20T21:32:02Z  
    To my experience files, not zip, with more than 8000 chars are created out of ignorance.