Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-08T10:56:51Z by svenson
shargus
shargus
9 Posts

Pinned topic Upgrading HMC using remote upgrade - getupgfiles not doing anything?

‏2008-12-12T00:26:58Z |
Trying to upgrade our HMC from 7.3.3 to 7.3.4 using remote upgrade. I have the files downloaded to a remote server, and I just need to get them into the HMC.

Doing an getupgfiles prompts for a password, then after several minutes says "Cannot contact server to obtain files."
I monitor the logs on the remote server, and the HMC does not appear to attempt to make contact.

From the HMC, I can ssh to the remote server just fine.
- However, it does mention that it failed to add the host to the list of known hosts. This is because the .ssh directory is owned by hmc and cannot create a new file (the known_hosts file) in it. As a result, it always complains about "The authenticity of host can't be established"...

Standard FTP is turned on on the remote server. I have tried getupgfiles using both standard and secure FTP, with the same results.

Is there any way to tell where getupgfiles may be getting stuck?
Updated on 2012-06-08T10:56:51Z at 2012-06-08T10:56:51Z by svenson
  • joshuastone
    joshuastone
    1 Post

Re: Upgrading HMC using remote upgrade - getupgfiles not doing anything?

‏2012-02-26T18:10:59Z  
    Hi shargus. Did you ever get this issue resolved. I'm in the process of trying to do my first network upgrade. I am going from V7R3.5.0
    to V7R7.4.0 and looking for the correct way to perform this upgrade. I've seen where people have used both getupgfiles and updhmc. I've always been local to my HMC until recently so doing an upgrade was no issue just pop DVD in and done but now my HMC is a few states over.

thx
  • sajjadhashimi
    sajjadhashimi
    10 Posts

‏2012-02-27T14:09:57Z  
    Hi shargus. Did you ever get this issue resolved. I'm in the process of trying to do my first network upgrade. I am going from V7R3.5.0
    to V7R7.4.0 and looking for the correct way to perform this upgrade. I've seen where people have used both getupgfiles and updhmc. I've always been local to my HMC until recently so doing an upgrade was no issue just pop DVD in and done but now my HMC is a few states over.

thx
    Recently upgraded a couple of HMCs remotely, without issues.

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/netinstall/v7740network.html#ftp
    http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/netinstall/install02.html
    (make sure you look at the prerequisites section)

Hope this helps.
  • svenson
    svenson
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-08T10:56:51Z  
    You can get this error if your remote update source is missing the hmcnetworkfiles.sum file.

Make sure you have all of the following files downloaded and available to the HMC:

bzImage
    disk1.img
    disk2.img
    disk3.img
    hmcnetworkfiles.sum
    initrd.gz

Regards,
    Svenni