Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-11-19T21:02:19Z by ashoon
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts

Pinned topic DP supports java packages ????

‏2008-11-18T10:24:35Z |
i have seen in some xsl that DP uses java.util.Date.new()

Can we use Java packages in our xsl??

Anyone Please help me out

Using the java packages i want to use sleep function which will make my xsl sleep for sometime

thx in advance
Updated on 2008-11-19T21:02:19Z at 2008-11-19T21:02:19Z by ashoon
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

Re: DP supports java packages ????

‏2008-11-18T15:46:55Z  
    There is absolutely no support for Java in DataPower products. There are some basic calls to Java primitive date/math functions that are recognized and redirected to equivalent DataPower extension functions (this was done for early compatibility with other XSLT platforms) but it is very limited.

You cannot sleep in SOA Appliance execution by design.

Corey
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2008-11-19T08:41:52Z  
    There is absolutely no support for Java in DataPower products. There are some basic calls to Java primitive date/math functions that are recognized and redirected to equivalent DataPower extension functions (this was done for early compatibility with other XSLT platforms) but it is very limited.

You cannot sleep in SOA Appliance execution by design.

Corey
    thx for the reply cscobie

i have a requirement like ,in case of backside connection errors i have to resubmit the message for 3 times
    ,each resubmission of message should be resubmitted exactly by 5min, difference time frame.

Any Help will be highly appreciated.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2008-11-19T17:12:45Z  

i have a requirement like ,in case of backside connection errors i have to resubmit the message for 3 times
    ,each resubmission of message should be resubmitted exactly by 5min, difference time frame.

Ok, this is exactly the reason there is no sleep function in XSLT on DataPower. As an intermediary, your SOA Appliance is not designed to "store" and forward transactions for an extended period of time. If you want your appliance to immediately retry connections, there are parameters to accommodate this in the RESULTS action, but if you want an extended duration between retries you can't do this in the appliance, it must be externalized. There are several architectural options to accommodate this kind of exchange:

1) Upon failure, return an error to the initiating client and place the responsibility on them to retry the transaction after an agreed period of time. You can even customize the response error to include information like requesting the retry and the duration or time after which we would suggest a subsequent request.
    2) Capture the back side error in an error rule and send the initial request to some OFF DEVICE retry facility. This could be any persistent storage mechanism that would be responsible for storing and retrying the transaction after a given interval. MQ would be a good candidate. You can send the request message to a queue, and after your sleep interval move it to another queue where a DataPower front side handler would pick it up and retry the request. If it fails, repeat the process. If it passes, route the service response back to the initiator of the request.

Because you are talking about such long durations between the retries, I am assuming that your initiating clients are not synchronous (i.e. HTTP) so some additional asynchronous processing should be fine. The bottom line here is that your device is not designed to manage long term transactions because it jeopardizes the performance and stability of the system - there is no persistent storage to keep them and you can't just buffer them in memory indefinitely without clogging the scheduled work queue of multi-step processing.

Hope this helps,
    Corey
  • ashoon
    ashoon
    66 Posts

‏2008-11-19T21:02:19Z  

you can also look at the advanced tab of the results action which has a retry count