Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-03-12T14:43:35Z by robertc
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
32 Posts

Pinned topic Recommend a Semantic Web book?

‏2008-11-12T05:34:10Z |
I've looked around but most books seem to fall into one of two categories:

1. Either the book talks about SW technologies but doesn't teach you how to use them
2. Or the book is geared for very complex data modeling and ontology creation.

Worse, many of those books are outdated.

I'm looking for an up-to-date book that teaches technologies like RDF, SPARQL, RDFS, and GDDRL- and frameworks to make use of them. Any recommendations?
Updated on 2009-03-12T14:43:35Z at 2009-03-12T14:43:35Z by robertc
  • robertc
    robertc
    41 Posts

Re: Recommend a Semantic Web book?

‏2008-11-14T00:38:59Z  
    Hi Logomachist. I think, unfortunately, you are correct in your assessment of the available books. There are a lot of academic focussed books and very few up to date practical ones. Blog posts, mailing lists and content sites such as developerWorks are currently the best place to learn about applying semantic web technologies to practical web applications.

If you're willing to accept a collection of a few less than perfect books: On the practical but slightly out of date front, there is Thomas Passin's Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web; on the more academic front try Semantic web for the working ontologist - it is geared towards data modelling, but it is targeted at programmers and scientists rather than SW experts; finally there's quite a few books that have significant examples or chapters which cover some of the more recent technologies - for example there's a section on RDF and another on SPARQL in PHP Web 2.0 Mashup Projects.

Come back and let us know if you find any others.

Rob
  • robertc
    robertc
    41 Posts

Re: Recommend a Semantic Web book?

‏2009-03-12T14:43:35Z  
    There are a couple of new books on the horizon which may be of interest:
    I've had a browse through the parts of the O'Reilly book which are available on Safari and it seems readable enough, the practical parts/examples are in the third section and are Java based. Don't know too much about the Wiley book apart from what is shown on the page above.

Rob