Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-06T18:07:54Z by jkrause
JeffreyB
JeffreyB
3 Posts

Pinned topic Component Based Development with Synergy

‏2008-11-10T21:08:11Z |
Please use this thread for questions and discussion about component-based development with Telelogic Synergy. Topics might include setting up project hierarchies with different update strategies for specific subprojects, how to select specific releases of library projects, etc.
Updated on 2011-03-17T13:02:02Z at 2011-03-17T13:02:02Z by David.Honey
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    174 Posts

Re: Component Based Development with Synergy

‏2010-09-10T14:25:57Z  
    I tried to setup "control update" for one of our startup project. I use the "Advanced Process Tailoring with Syergy" by Ed Taekema as a guide. However, I could not bring in any component objects (project, for example). The completed tasks were populated as a process rules were defined, but "update" do not populate any objects into a source release. Can anyone help?
  • David.Honey
    David.Honey
    176 Posts

‏2010-09-13T10:53:25Z  
    I tried to setup "control update" for one of our startup project. I use the "Advanced Process Tailoring with Syergy" by Ed Taekema as a guide. However, I could not bring in any component objects (project, for example). The completed tasks were populated as a process rules were defined, but "update" do not populate any objects into a source release. Can anyone help?
    Could you be more specific about what steps you performed and what you are trying to achieve?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    174 Posts

‏2010-10-15T13:04:32Z  
    Hello,

I read there is a white paper called A Framework for Managing Component-Based Development for Synergy. Where can I find it please?

Info was in the Introduction to Rational Synergy, page 45 : "Rational Synergy supports component-based development in a flexible way, providing a variety of process patterns from which to choose. The process patterns are described in the white paper, A Framework for Managing Component Based Development, available on the IBM Software Support Home page for
    Rational products can be found at http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/support/." -> I searched this page without results.
  • MartinIvanov
    MartinIvanov
    4 Posts

‏2011-03-16T12:49:31Z  
    Hi.

I am interested in Component Based software development, we are using Synergy 6.5 for few
    years, and we are going to upgrade our process to follow component based organization.
    I would like to share with the forum our target process, please help to comment if we
    would have some problems , or might improve it differently.
    Assume our project structure is like that:
    ProductRoot
    - component1
    - component2

Top project includes all components as subprojects. Currently our
    integration process
    is focused on root project only.. We would like to upgrade our process ,

in a way, where
    we are able in parallel releases to Root to develop and integrate new
    component versions,
    and our customer releases will pick only ready components.

Say we have development release DEV_COMP1/1.0, DEV_COMP2/1.0 for the two

components development,
    and customer release PRODUCT/1.0
    1. Developers will have collaborative parallel releases for DEV_COMP1,
    DEV_COMP2; Team leaders will freeze
    component versions as he will check-in projects component1 in DEV_COMP1
    or component2 in DEV_COMP2;
    2. Build Managers in DEV_COMP1 and DEV_COMP2 will baseline periodically DEV_COM1, DEV_COMP2 when
    some major milestones are reached.
    BM or PRODUCT/1.0 will take as tasks checked-in component1 from
    DEV_COMP1 baseline and component2 from DEV_COMP2 baseline;

Any comments are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Martin.
  • David.Honey
    David.Honey
    176 Posts

‏2011-03-16T15:45:27Z  
    Hi.

I am interested in Component Based software development, we are using Synergy 6.5 for few
    years, and we are going to upgrade our process to follow component based organization.
    I would like to share with the forum our target process, please help to comment if we
    would have some problems , or might improve it differently.
    Assume our project structure is like that:
    ProductRoot
    - component1
    - component2

Top project includes all components as subprojects. Currently our
    integration process
    is focused on root project only.. We would like to upgrade our process ,

in a way, where
    we are able in parallel releases to Root to develop and integrate new
    component versions,
    and our customer releases will pick only ready components.

Say we have development release DEV_COMP1/1.0, DEV_COMP2/1.0 for the two

components development,
    and customer release PRODUCT/1.0
    1. Developers will have collaborative parallel releases for DEV_COMP1,
    DEV_COMP2; Team leaders will freeze
    component versions as he will check-in projects component1 in DEV_COMP1
    or component2 in DEV_COMP2;
    2. Build Managers in DEV_COMP1 and DEV_COMP2 will baseline periodically DEV_COM1, DEV_COMP2 when
    some major milestones are reached.
    BM or PRODUCT/1.0 will take as tasks checked-in component1 from
    DEV_COMP1 baseline and component2 from DEV_COMP2 baseline;

Any comments are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Martin.
    Martin,

I suggest that you upgrade to the current release (7.1.0.2) for two reasons:
    1) Synergy 6.5 is no longer covered under standard maintenance.
    2) A new feature (component tasks) relating to component-based development is available in Synergy 7.1 onwards.

Regards,
    David.
  • MartinIvanov
    MartinIvanov
    4 Posts

‏2011-03-16T15:52:18Z  
    Martin,

2) A new feature (component tasks) relating to component-based development is available in Synergy 7.1 onwards.

Regards,
    David.
    David,

If we assume that we will use component tasks, to propagate certain component project version to other release,
    does my scenario make sense?
    Is it enough team leaders to check-in the component project ? Or they need also to create a baseline?
    Do other Synergy customers successfully implemented components in version 6.5 ?

thanks,
    Martin.
  • David.Honey
    David.Honey
    176 Posts

‏2011-03-17T13:02:02Z  
    David,

If we assume that we will use component tasks, to propagate certain component project version to other release,
    does my scenario make sense?
    Is it enough team leaders to check-in the component project ? Or they need also to create a baseline?
    Do other Synergy customers successfully implemented components in version 6.5 ?

thanks,
    Martin.
    Hi Martin,

Yes, where component tasks help is where you make independent releases of components in their own baselines, and then want to control which of those releases components should be used as part of an application project hierarchy.

From a purist perspective, CBD is about building tested and reusable components. Each component gets its own quality assurance, and is released on its own stream and release value as when component changes are to be made available to the potential users of that component. In effect, the component team delivers released components by creating baselines with static baseline projects. When you have an application that uses such a component, when using process rules based on a baseline, you can only select one baseline. However, you can add the component tasks for that component, and Synergy supports some specific queries to include such component tasks automatically based on query criteria that the user defines. In this way, when update members is performed on the application project, it finds the component tasks matching that criteria, and the application project hierarchy then uses the most appropriate static projects for that component.

Not everyone doing CBD uses this kind of "pure CBD" methodology. For example, an alternative is that the components are always developed within the context of a specific application that uses it, and users have modifiable copies of the projects that represent the components. When a baseline is created, it includes the changes made to source files within the components. When components are only used in one or two applications, this approach can be simpler. However, I think it loses the essence of that CBD is supposed to be about - using components as tested building blocks.

Hope that helps,
    David.
  • RaviTickoo
    RaviTickoo
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-05T21:43:37Z  
    Martin,

Regards,
    David.

Hi David,

Please suggest which document describes component based development.  Are there any white papers etc on this topic. Thanks.

-Ravi

• jkrause
    jkrause
    12 Posts

‏2013-09-06T18:07:54Z  

Hi David,

Please suggest which document describes component based development.  Are there any white papers etc on this topic. Thanks.

-Ravi

Hi Ravi, 

Any white paper that you might find from IBM or Telelogic would probably be fairly dated.  

However, the Rational Synergy 7.2 InfoCenter discusses Component Based Development at length: 

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/synhelp/v7m2r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.synergy.prodoverview.doc%2Ftopics%2Fs_c_int_component_based_dev.html

Much of what is discussed here here applies to Synergy 7.1 as well.  I hope this helps.

Jeff