Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-01-31T16:04:02Z by QASuper
badrimax
badrimax
7 Posts

Pinned topic Maximo 4.1.1 to 6.2.2 Data Migration (5.1 to 6 run upgrade)

‏2008-11-08T01:13:04Z |
Hi,

I have been working on migration from Maximo 4.1.1 to Maximo 6.2.2. I have currently completed all steps till Maximo 5.1 to Maximo 6 validation checker. When I run the ugrade after setting the inputs I end up with an error which is to correct a field length in the PR table. I went ahead and corrected the field length. But I am not sure how to start from the point where the error has come. When I click run upgrade it typically starts from the first again.
Is it possible to start from the last commit statement please advise.

Also can someone help me on stop and pause tags which need to be inserted to the XML file. If possible please send me a sample XML file with the tags

Also I have been stuck in this step (Running Upgrade from 5 to 6) for more than a day.. Does it takes so long.. Just wanted to know to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.

Thanks
Badri
Updated on 2009-01-31T16:04:02Z at 2009-01-31T16:04:02Z by QASuper
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

Re: Maximo 4.1.1 to 6.2.2 Data Migration (5.1 to 6 run upgrade)

‏2008-12-22T13:44:58Z  
    Hi!

Guess it's impossible to start the upgrade from the error point. We fix errors and restore the whole DB from the backup.

This upgrade utility is a nightmare. We trying to convert our DB to 5.2 to 6 about 3 months and still don't get the success.

Best,
    Yury
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2008-12-24T17:33:26Z  
    The upgrade utility can be a source of frustration. The pause and stop callouts can improve the situation somewhat, but if there is an error, there is no way around backup/restore. The documentation is straightforward, except there is an error with the documentation for the stop callout. I am on vacation and away from my documentation. I can have a better reply in a few days.

Steve
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2009-01-07T15:47:58Z  
    The upgrade utility can be a source of frustration. The pause and stop callouts can improve the situation somewhat, but if there is an error, there is no way around backup/restore. The documentation is straightforward, except there is an error with the documentation for the stop callout. I am on vacation and away from my documentation. I can have a better reply in a few days.

Steve
    The Upgrade Guide, Chapter 7, is a good source of information for these questions. It divides the upgrade process into three phases: (1) new data structure is created; (2) data is moved to new tables; and (3) constraints are added to the database. Phase two consists of units called "callouts" that will contain one or more "commit" statements. The upgrade program keeps track of the last successful callout so that if it's interrupted, it will restart immediately after the last successful callout (the output makes it look like it's starting over from the beginning, but it's not). Since a callout may have more than one commit, it's not possible to guarantee that you're restarting after the last commit.

IBM recommends pausing (for an export) or stopping (for a file backup) before phase two begins, immediately before and after the callout UpgradeLangCodeAndUniqueID, and before phase three begins. That way, if an error occurs, you can restore to your most recent backup, correct the error, and restart the upgrade program. Depending on the size of your database, you may want to pause/stop for an export/backup more frequently.

The XML file with the callouts is called AppCallOutList.xml and is located in <MXES_ROOT>\tools\maximo\classes\psdi\upgrade\V520. There are callout lists in the other "version" folders, but V520 is where the bulk of the upgrade takes place. To do a pause callout, edit the AppCallOutList.xml file and insert the tag

<APP filename="UpgradePause"></APP>

after the callout where you want to pause. When the upgrade program hits the pause callout, the upgrade pauses and waits for the user to hit "enter" at the command prompt window from where the upgrade program was started.

To do a stop callout, first create a file called UpgradeStop.sql in the same directory as the AppCallOutList.xml file. The file should contain the following lines

select 1 from Stop_the_upgrade
    ;
    (the semicolon needs to be on the second line and there needs to be a return after the semicolon). Next, edit the AppCallOutList.xml file and insert the tag

<APP filename="UpgradeStop"></APP>

after the callout where you want to stop. When the upgrade program hits the stop callout, it executes the SQL in the file, doesn't find the table it's looking for, and stops with a "table not found" error. That's OK; it's just a clean way to stop the upgrade program where you want it stopped. When you're done with your backup, restart the upgrade program.

With respect to time, depending on the size of your database and the hardware you're running it on, the upgrade process can seem to go on forever. I have a test database installed on a PC, and due to I/O contention, the UpgradeLangCodeAndUniqueID callout alone can take nearly three days!

Good luck with your upgrade.

Steve
  • QASuper
    QASuper
    8 Posts

‏2009-01-31T16:04:02Z  
    It is because of threads like this that when asked to migrate a clients data from 4.1.1 to 6.2.1, we manually took all the relevant tables and manually placed then in a new database. Yes, it was tedious. Yes, it was an effort to get all the interleaves correct.

I finished the migration from Production 4.1.1 to production 6.2.1 in three weeks.