• 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-04-10T08:45:07Z by sdoghgsd
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
235 Posts

Pinned topic Java application running very slow in AIX JVM

‏2008-11-06T17:25:38Z |
Hello Friends,

Recently, we moved our web application from Solaris to AIX. On AIX we are using 1.5.0. The problem is the application runs very slow on AIX machine. The heap size, & CPU speed is greater than that of Solaris box. Still, the applicaiton runs very slow on AIX. We were using 1.4.2 on Solaris. The web applicaition has lot of XML processing. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Sanjay
Updated on 2011-04-10T08:45:07Z at 2011-04-10T08:45:07Z by sdoghgsd
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    235 Posts

Re: Java application running very slow in AIX JVM

‏2009-01-12T19:49:43Z  
    We are having the same problem. We are migrating some java based batch apps from Windows to AIX. The application basically processes huge xml(500-1500mb) files, pulls data from oracle10g and generate pretty huge xml files. It uses DOM and SAX both for this purpose. The problem is The process takes about 1-2 hours on windows 2003 machine (Intel Xeon 64 bit dual 3.33 , 16GB RAM) and about 10 hours on AIX(IBM p590 (lpr single 3.5 processor 64bit,16GB RAM)). The application is a single threaded app and uses only 1 processor on windows and AIX. Both machines, OS and jvms on machines are 64 bit. The network, db metrics and server load all look good. Some of the thing I have tried is

1. Change the Heap size 2GB to 10GB. (higher usually works a little better)
    2. GC logs (Found out that we can improve the performance by upto 20% but still thats not what is causing this huge delay)
    3. Recompiled some of the libs on AIX box.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    235 Posts

‏2009-01-13T00:24:34Z  
    We are having the same problem. We are migrating some java based batch apps from Windows to AIX. The application basically processes huge xml(500-1500mb) files, pulls data from oracle10g and generate pretty huge xml files. It uses DOM and SAX both for this purpose. The problem is The process takes about 1-2 hours on windows 2003 machine (Intel Xeon 64 bit dual 3.33 , 16GB RAM) and about 10 hours on AIX(IBM p590 (lpr single 3.5 processor 64bit,16GB RAM)). The application is a single threaded app and uses only 1 processor on windows and AIX. Both machines, OS and jvms on machines are 64 bit. The network, db metrics and server load all look good. Some of the thing I have tried is

1. Change the Heap size 2GB to 10GB. (higher usually works a little better)
    2. GC logs (Found out that we can improve the performance by upto 20% but still thats not what is causing this huge delay)
    3. Recompiled some of the libs on AIX box.
    Our problem got solved.

We contacted IBM Support group, they suggested us some JVM parameters, and the performance changed drastically. I would advise you the same. Contact IBM.

Sanjay
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    235 Posts

‏2009-06-19T15:20:00Z  
    Our problem got solved.

We contacted IBM Support group, they suggested us some JVM parameters, and the performance changed drastically. I would advise you the same. Contact IBM.

Sanjay
    Hi, we have the same problem , could you post the parameters please.
    Thanks.
    Phong
  • CyrilG
    CyrilG
    1 Post

‏2009-10-05T12:40:45Z  
    Our problem got solved.

Sanjay
    Hi
    We are facing the same issue here. A process that runs in 3 hrs in Suse Linux is taking 14hrs in AIX!

Please share the jvm parameters
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    235 Posts

‏2010-06-19T05:56:47Z  
    I was reading all of these comments and I have to say this:you don't get the point
    pandora520
    1 Post

‏2010-12-14T09:08:05Z  
    I was reading all of these comments and I have to say this:you don't get the point

Ariful_bd
    1 Post

‏2011-02-26T07:02:44Z  
    It is a great problem. How can you get rid out of it.
  • sdoghgsd
    sdoghgsd
    1 Post

‏2011-04-10T08:45:07Z  
    How can you get rid out of it.